Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Troy Brown just made Oregon and Washington better

greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
Espn ranked 18th overall player Troy Brown just picked Oregon, which then led to Daejon Davis to re commit to Washington. Oregon only had one scholarship left and it was going to either Davis or Brown. Davis set his announcement time 15 minutes after Brown. Word is, if Brown had not picked Oregon, Davis would, but since Brown picked Oregon and used their last scholarship, Davis went back to Washington.... so win/win?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    NEsnake12 said:

I'll gladly take being 2nd choice to Oregon in basketball while we're skullfucking them in football.

Very true...

It really sucks, because I forgot what a football skullfucking felt like. Unfortunately, thanks to Helfrich, I'm getting quite used to it.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Romar is getting cucked by Altman?
  • Options
    But a serious question: How does Romar continue to get elite recruiting classes year after year? You would think that recruits would catch on to the fact that he can't coach for shit, kind of like how the recruits caught on to Ernie while he was at Oregon. But they don't...
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

But a serious question: How does Romar continue to get elite recruiting classes year after year? You would think that recruits would catch on to the fact that he can't coach for shit, kind of like how the recruits caught on to Ernie while he was at Oregon. But they don't...

Not sure he really does get elite classes year after year. I think his recruiting exploits have been pretty exaggerated.

Per Scout rankings (self flagged for Scout, self wtf'ed for TBS)

2017 - 4
    2016 - 18
    2015 - 6
    2014 - NR*
    2013 - NR*
    2012 - NR*
    2011 - 21
    2010 - NR*
    2009 - 23
    2008 - 22
    2007 - 30 (actually found rankings beyond 25 for that year)
    2006 - 6
    2005 - 16

*outside top 25

So of the 13 seasons in the Scout database UW has:
    1 top 5 class.
    3 top 10 classes.
    5 top 20 classes.
    8 top 25 classes

What's really amazing is that Romar survived that dreckfest recruiting run in 2010 - 2014 (well other than the fact that he's survived the run of 5 straight year with no tourney), but Washington hates winners.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Davis is another in a line of undisciplined UW players that will likely be 1-2 years tops in college
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I might be over stating a little bit, but I think Altman is the Chris Peterson of college basketball.

Came from a smaller conference, but taking the big boys by storm. Altman has Oregon poised for a National Title this year or next year. It's crazy...

Like Peterson, he turned a flailing program and made them great. The one exception being, Oregon wasn't really great in basketball to begin with.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I might be over stating a little bit, but I think Altman is the Chris Peterson of college basketball.

Came from a smaller conference, but taking the big boys by storm. Altman has Oregon poised for a National Title this year or next year. It's crazy...

Like Peterson, he turned a flailing program and made them great. The one exception being, Oregon wasn't really great in basketball to begin with.

No just no... More similar to Urban Meyer jumping from Utah to Florida
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Keep in mind a few other tidbits outside of TF mentioning the NBA angle. Romar allows his players to play more of an NBA style with more freedom to be an athlete, and a lot less on being a team. That is fabulous if you want to showcase your talent for NBA, however undisciplined basketball is exactly what UW sells in recruiting and then showcases annually.

What Romar does is recruit a bunch of guys and then has no idea how to actually make them play together. Look at the atmosphere he has fostered over the last 6-7 years. Teams transferring in whole, in fighting to the point where teams literally hate each other, recruiting players who have zero biz playing the pac 12 level, adding people's friends on scholy who he knows will be a problem in the locker room, keeping pimps on the team, and the examples could go on. The difference between getting big time talent(a la ross TW) and actually making it into something useful is on full display at UK every year. Romar just thinks he can throw 15 guys together and apparently make a cohesive unit. Not so in college.

He struck gold with BRoy and Conroy and Nate coming of age late, which allowed both to mature and essentially coach the team from the floor. The romar legend was born. Since that team, he has struggled with any number of player rosters and regularly missed expectations by being what we all know, a shitty in game coach and horrendous roster manager. He even tried to bring in different coaches to handle half court and he still is a mess. But his brand can be exciting for players b/c they put up points and most importantly put guys in the NBA.

As DNC pointed out, his classes haven't been earth shattering and that's with a large contingent of local talent leaving for other programs or players he brought in transferring. Christ, how many of these guys did we say this decade have zero point being on a pac-12 roster? The crown of one of his big classes is playing for Gonzaga now. Fuk me

where's the tylenol

• Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Honest question because I don't follow college basketball anymore: why do all these kids want to go to Oregon all of the sudden?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The program is a joke ... until LoRo leaves I'm very disinterested
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

I don't care what anyone says, Venoy as a player was fucking awesome. Loved the shit talking swagger. He was no IT but complimented IT with tough defense and clutch free throw shooting.

I loved his early years, but he reached Jensen-level of fucktardedness for his half court heave against UNC when there was still five seconds left.