Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW rushing defense

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,004
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm probably gonna commit doogish blasphemy, but I think we're beating teams on average something like 48-16. The 91 team was 41-9. I don't really care how much teams run for if we? Keep them from scoring.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With three huge DL and Victor in the middle, I don't get why we are somewhat soft up front against the run. Not all of Utah's runs were to the edges.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

College football is a passing game

At any level of football, shutting down the run is the first priority. Making teams one dimensional is ideal. It's not quite as true against the air raid but it still is.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

College football is a passing game

At any level of football, shutting down the run is the first priority. Making teams one dimensional is ideal. It's not quite as true against the air raid but it still is.
    I agree the good teams are run first hit you over the top. However most coaches are bad and seem to try and hit the home run play all the time. The run defense against Utah was weird since they are one of the few teams who like to establish the run. I didn't understand why we didn't try and make Troy beat us. Then again im just an armchair defensive coordinator with a boner in my sweatpants.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Baseman said:

I just got done watching the Utah game and we ran that idiotic 2 down d-lineman front for roughly half the snaps. Why would you take out Qualls or Vea to get another stand up end on the field? O'Brien is solid but unspectacular and Psalm can go die in a fire.... not sure what's so appealing about taking a stud d-lineman off the field for one of those two fucks.

I just watched parts of the game and during Utah's first or second possession, they faced 3rd & 9. Troy takes off running despite P-Salm being there as a spy and by spy I mean someone who lunges in the general direction and area of where the QB was standing.
    Psalm is like a Stratego spy: Occasionally (rarely) kills the Field Marshall but is usually destroyed by the rest of the opponent's pieces, including a first striking Field Marshall.

I love you. Wanna cyber?
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Baseman said:

I just got done watching the Utah game and we ran that idiotic 2 down d-lineman front for roughly half the snaps. Why would you take out Qualls or Vea to get another stand up end on the field? O'Brien is solid but unspectacular and Psalm can go die in a fire.... not sure what's so appealing about taking a stud d-lineman off the field for one of those two fucks.

I just watched parts of the game and during Utah's first or second possession, they faced 3rd & 9. Troy takes off running despite P-Salm being there as a spy and by spy I mean someone who lunges in the general direction and area of where the QB was standing.
    Psalm is like a Stratego spy: Occasionally (rarely) kills the Field Marshall but is usually destroyed by the rest of the opponent's pieces, including a first striking Field Marshall.

El oh El. This is perfect.

+1
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

That Stratego reference... Woukd you consider that A-1 @BrickSquad ?
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

Baseman said:

Wrong game.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795

With three huge DL and Victor in the middle, I don't get why we are somewhat soft up front against the run. Not all of Utah's runs were to the edges.

Credit where it's due. UU's O-line is good again. And Joe W is a very potent back. They made hay (but still trailed) for a half, then Coach Kwit made adjustments. The end.
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 705
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    At this point we really have two experienced Linebackers playing. Victor and Bierria and both learning every week. They remind me a lot of the trajectory that Donald Butler and Mason Foster were on. Victor could go NFL but I really think he could stand have a Sr year and show he can apply more technique along with that fantastic motor. Most of the plays were we're soft up the middle you can see a LB getting sealed off or shooting the wrong gap. I remember a quote by Dave Hoffmann about how they all knew where the play was going prior to the snap. The position is highly instinctual. That being said let me give credit the secondary. My these guys are amongst the best tackling secondary i've ever seen for the UW.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

At this point we really have two experienced Linebackers playing. Victor and Bierria and both learning every week. They remind me a lot of the trajectory that Donald Butler and Mason Foster were on. Victor could go NFL but I really think he could stand have a Sr year and show he can apply more technique along with that fantastic motor. Most of the plays were we're soft up the middle you can see a LB getting sealed off or shooting the wrong gap. I remember a quote by Dave Hoffmann about how they all knew where the play was going prior to the snap. The position is highly instinctual. That being said let me give credit the secondary. My these guys are amongst the best tackling secondary i've ever seen for the UW.

Decent post. I'd give you an upvote if you had an avatar.
  • Options
    BrickSquadBrickSquad Member Posts: 1,658
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Baseman said:

I'l allow it
  • Options
    Dawgs4everDawgs4ever Member Posts: 170
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    "Also, UW has usually held teams underneath their average points per game, so clearly Pete's crew is doing something right."

That doesn't necessarily mean we're using our talent to its utmost, though. We've had insane talent on the defensive side of the ball over the past two seasons, and, at least IMHO, we don't perform as well as we should with it. We aren't creative at all when it comes to getting pressure on the opposing QB and I think we usually put way too few guys in the box on running downs.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

"Also, UW has usually held teams underneath their average points per game, so clearly Pete's crew is doing something right."

That doesn't necessarily mean we're using our talent to its utmost, though. We've had insane talent on the defensive side of the ball over the past two seasons, and, at least IMHO, we don't perform as well as we should with it. We aren't creative at all when it comes to getting pressure on the opposing QB and I think we usually put way too few guys in the box on running downs.

I'm not one to criticize our Defensive staff, but I agree we're getting a little cocky with our front. We should bring a little more heat from unpredictable places.

It's a luxury to generate pressure with only 4 guys, but when you watch the film (I'm a nerd, I did) you'll see we were over matched in the box consistently.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

It's one thing to nitpick a little bit. I think that is in order from time to time. I'd like to see a bit more aggression with the blitzes. Not a massive amount, but definitely a bit.

It is quite another to throw out a blanket statment like "we don't perform as well as we should with it".

The Husky defense is the **BEST** in the nation at preventing long passing scores and long scores in general. Is playing that way a little too bend but don't break-y for some people? Sure. But that it is a strategic choice.