Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW rushing defense

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited November 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
"2. No. 4 Washington gave up 163 yards on the ground to Utah on Saturday, which is fewer than Oregon State (177) or Oregon (230) or Arizona (308!) gained against the Huskies. The reason might be in part philosophical. Huskies head coach Chris Petersen seems content with not putting his safeties in the box, letting his front seven do the work against the run. But Washington is 55th in rushing defense (153.9-yard average). Six of the last 10 national champions have finished in the top 10 against the run, none lower than 34th (Ohio State in 2014). Three finished first: Alabama in 2015, 2011 and 2012. This year, the Tide are ... first (70.1-yard average)."

Some of this I discount because Kwiatkowki has emphasized strong play on the back end of the defense, and not giving up big plays. The Huskies have excelled at keeping everything in front of the DBs. Also, UW has usually held teams underneath their average points per game, so clearly Pete's crew is doing something right.

Still, it's worth noting that our? two closest games (arizona and utah) were against teams that had a lot of success running against us. Something that I'm sure they're addressing.

http://espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17932422/alabama-crimson-tide-coach-nick-saban-turns-65-matt-rhule-turns-temple-owls

Comments

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    College football is a passing game
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

College football is a passing game

Wrong my dude. College is about running, pro is about passing.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think he is whooshing?
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2016

When you say potatoes are you talking about Potoae or Potatoes OBrien?

Potatoe is Potatoe, but Potatoes is the pasty Irishman.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Well that really clears everything up.

Sorry, autocorrect Fucked me for a second. It makes more sense now.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Jaylen Johnson could've really helped here. He's having a fine year as a player getting his first sustained action, but he's not making an impact. Hopefully, he keeps developing...it'd take a lot of pressure off of the D for having to rely on our current DEs
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    AEB said:

Jaylen Johnson could've really helped here. He's having a fine year as a player getting his first sustained action, but he's not making an impact. Hopefully, he keeps developing...it'd take a lot of pressure off of the D for having to rely on our current DEs

JJ was better toward the end of last year. Surprised at how ineffective he's been thus far.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    I just got done watching the Utah game and we ran that idiotic 2 down D-lineman front for roughly half the snaps. Why would you take out Qualls or Vea to get another stand up end on the field? O'Brien is solid but unspectacular and Psalm can go die in a fire.... not sure what's so appealing about taking a stud D-lineman off the field for one of those two fucks especially when you are playing a team with a RB that is gashing you up the middle all fucking day and a QB who is doing everything in his power to throw the ball to our DBs.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I think fundamentally we try to minimize big plays. Our second objective is to shut down the run.

Then I think beyond that, we care about pressuring the QB, etc.

It's been very successful here on average because our interior DL has been really damn good (if not always spectacular).

Right now if we had two stud BUCK types (2 Kikaha's), we would be a lot better than with Psalm the Useless and Potatoes. Getting guys in those roles that are 250+ will take us from being really good, but a bit inconsistent, to being dominant.

The good news is that I see those players coming along and being good eventually. Our player development is spectacular on D and we've got the body types.

I am optimistic. And with what we have in the back end on the bench, I have no worries there either.

Reminds me of the Seahawks but with shit DE play.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    TTJ said:

Need. Mathis. Back. Soon.

Next year, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you, Baked Potato, Big Levi, and Amandre.

Levi is a fucking stud holy shit
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Seems to me our D is built to defend against spread offenses. It's hard...doing both at the same time.