Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ted Miller on UW 2013 Season

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/54920/mailbag-playoffs-and-huskies-coaching-moves

Sarkisian has done a nice job rebuilding the Washington program, but fans are impatient for the proverbial next step. The good news is the talent is on hand for that next step to be taken this fall. So it feels like this season will be a good measure of Sarkisian as a head coach.

My impression, developed in large part from a lot of smart football folks telling me, "Sark is a good football coach," is that Sarkisian is a good football coach. I suspect the Huskies are going to have a breakthrough this fall, potentially winning nine or 10 games and climbing into the Top 25.

Don't agree with everything but I do think from a media perspective, this season is a ultimate thumbs up or down for Sark as Miller said. My worry is Sark does just enough to avoid getting fired. Like go 8-5.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    The talent has been there for three fucking years to "take the next step".

• Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

This. The talent has been there to win the following games:

2010: BYU & Arizona St
    2011: Oregon St & Baylor
    2012: Washington St & Boise St

It's the coaching staff that fucked these games up. Not the talent.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We need to FINISH!!!!11!!"!$!!
  • Options
    nihilistdawgnihilistdawg Member Posts: 226
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

need more FINISH shirts.
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited March 2013

The last two games overshadowed the fact that this team has pathetic starts to every game....down by 15 to boise, down at half to wsu, went 25 minutes without scoring against colorado, down 8-0 to utah, pathetic start against cal...The last 6 games of the season, midway through the second quarter it had a total of 7,7,0,7,3 points.

Real offensive genius Sark is. Forget finishing, how about you fucking start the games better.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,099
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Since when is 9 or 10 wins "the next step"? We have already been to the Alamo and Holiday bowl under Sark. 9 or 10 wins was a benchmark for two or three years ago.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,005
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

This. The talent has been there to win the following games:

2010: BYU & Arizona St
    2011: Oregon St & Baylor
    2012: Washington St & Boise St

It's the coaching staff that fucked these games up. Not the talent.
    You forgot UCLA 2009.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I hope he's right. 9-4 seems realistic if they can take care of Boise CC and get an easy bowel game. I don't really see much above that. Sark will probably have one or two letdown games that will hold them back.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,250
    Founders Club
    My impression, developed in large part from a lot of smart football folks telling me, "Sark is a good football coach," is that Sarkisian is a good football coach.

But he can't form that impression from what he's seen over the last four years? This is like town folk from that Emperor has no clothes story.
  • Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    8 - 4 even with the addition of a bowl win sucks.......pathetic.
  • Options

Sub Illinois for Nebraska in 2011 and for LSU in 2012 and there is 8-4 the past two years. Hence, they really need to go 9-3 to show any material improvement.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Sub Illinois for Nebraska in 2011 and for LSU in 2012 and there is 8-4 the past two years. Hence, they really need to go 9-3 to show any material improvement.
    Why would you sub the second best non conference opponent this year for the best the last two years? I get that they were all road games, but I still think at Illinoize is an easier game than home for the donkeys, even considering Sark's track record of excellence away from home.

• Options

Why would you sub the second best non conference opponent this year for the best the last two years? I get that they were all road games, but I still think at Illinoize is an easier game than home for the donkeys, even considering Sark's track record of excellence away from home.

Its the road non-conf game.
  • Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    edited March 2013
    I don't mean to be negative just for the sake of bitching, but Cream Puff doesn't deserve a passing grade unless we go 10 - 2. That's progress.

(Depending on other variables, like ending blowouts and improved discipline, 9 - 3 might warrant one year of hot seat status. But that's me, and has little bearing on how Woody the Weak will play his cards.)

That fact that 10 - 2 is completely unrealistic has nothing to do with requiring actual proof of real, meaningful progress is happening.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,250
    Founders Club
    The Doogs don't believe this... But if Mora had led the Huskies to 7-6 in 2012, we would be all over his ass.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Doogs don't believe this... But if Mora had led the Huskies to 7-6 in 2012, we would be all over his ass.

Take it to the All Over Mora's Ass Board or you're gone
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't mean to be negative just for the sake of bitching, but Cream Puff doesn't deserve a passing grade unless we go 10 - 2. That's progress.

(Depending on other variables, like ending blowouts and improved discipline, 9 - 3 might warrant one year of hot seat status. But that's me, and has little bearing on how Woody the Weak will play his cards.)

That fact that 10 - 2 is completely unrealistic has nothing to do with requiring actual proof of real, meaningful progress is happening.

10 and 2 ain't happening. I would take 8-4 or 9-3 provided we didn't get plunger raped in those losses. How you lose does matter. I don't expect a championship team for another year or two, but these blowouts losses need to stop. More than one next year should punch Sark's ticket to a QB coach job in the NFL.

In all likelihood, we probably go 7-5 or 8-4 with a couple of blowout losses, yet we will be stuck watching another year of Sark ball.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

10 and 2 ain't happening. I would take 8-4 or 9-3 provided we didn't get plunger raped in those losses. How you lose does matter. I don't expect a championship team for another year or two, but these blowouts losses need to stop. More than one next year should punch Sark's ticket to a QB coach job in the NFL.

In all likelihood, we probably go 7-5 or 8-4 with a couple of blowout losses, yet we will be stuck watching another year of Sark ball.

So you're thinking 2015 will be special?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

So you're thinking 2015 will be special?

That's what I am hearing from some reliable sources. Fleenor is hearing the same thing.