Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What if...

greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
Somehow UW wets the bed at home to Wazzu, would they be in danger of missing the NIT?

Comments

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'm so tired of romar and his cronies that I actively hope they lose so we? can finally move on from the mess the team has been in. Losing to wazzu would be wonderful for so many reasons.

That sad part is that I don't think it changes anything. If nobody has the balls to fire romar after a 5th missed tourney and yet another team crumbling before your eyes, losing to wazzu won't be any type of back breaker. It will merely solidify that ernesto has a better resume than romar.
  • Options

We have Fultz coming in? Do you want to lose Fultz?

Getting this one 5 star player in for one year is more important than the future of the program

Nobody turns 5 star talent into 3 stars quite like Romar.
    BUT HE WAS DRAFTED.

most nba players without college success ever!
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2016

Getting this one 5 star player in for one year is more important than the future of the program

BUT HE WAS DRAFTED.

I wonder if people pay attention to how good guys like Isaiah Thomas, Brandon Roy, and Nate Robinson are/were.

I think Brandon Roy was expected to be good, but he even exceeded expectations while healthy. Isaiah Thomas and Nate Robinson were good at UW, but I'd say they exceeded expectations as well in the NBA.

Doogs think that Romar prepared these guys to be solid NBA players. Those in the know think that Romar held them back, and once they landed with a "Real" coach, lived up to their true potential.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

BUT HE WAS DRAFTED.

I wonder if people pay attention to how good guys like Isaiah Thomas, Brandon Roy, and Nate Robinson are/were.

I think Brandon Roy was expected to be good, but he even exceeded expectations while healthy. Isaiah Thomas and Nate Robinson were good at UW, but I'd say they exceeded expectations as well in the NBA.

Doogs think that Romar prepared these guys to be solid NBA players. Those in the know think that Romar held them back, and once they landed with a "Real" coach, lived up to their true potential.
    I disagree with this assessment. All three of those players made massive strides in their time at UW. I think Romar is generally good (not great) at developing guards. He's terrible at developing bigs and very poor at X's and O's. But I do think he made an impact on those three guys careers.

As a UW fan I'd much rather have a coach that wins than develops NBA talent so this isn't some "keep Romar cause NBA" doogasm. But everyone of those players far exceeded expectations at UW and in the NBA. I think Romar had something to do with that. Especially since there are plenty of other guards who exceeded expectations at UW and really only one who failed to reach them (Gaddy).
  • Options

BUT HE WAS DRAFTED.

Romar deserves blame for so many things that have gone wrong over the last few years, but he should be credited with helping some of his players focus and their subsequent success at the next level. IT and Roy were both well publicized head cases who were a little too full of themselves and their talent to see through the trees. He helped refine their view, build skills in terms of leadership and growth which lead to their success. TW could have benefited from another couple of years of this, as well as maybe learning how to use his right hand and shoot from outside 3 feet.

Conversely, the doog playbook of NBA players is beyond ridiculous. Romar is paid to win NCAA games, not prepare players for the NBA. If for some reason they do better in the pro's than by god that's a positive, however who would you rather be, Michigan state or UW? Another UW(wisconsin) or the huskies? Just a couple teams who rarely have high end NBA talent but regularly find their way deep in the ncaa's. College is about coaching and getting kids to fit a system. Romar doesn't have a system, nor does he have the ability to change during games.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I'm so tired of romar and his cronies that I actively hope they lose so we? can finally move on from the mess the team has been in. Losing to wazzu would be wonderful for so many reasons.

That sad part is that I don't think it changes anything. If nobody has the balls to fire romar after a 5th missed tourney and yet another team crumbling before your eyes, losing to wazzu won't be any type of back breaker. It will merely solidify that ernesto has a better resume than romar.

This is so relevant. The problem is not Romar at all. Everyone who is not Ray Charles can see that he is terrible in the aspect of his job that involves actual coaching. As always, with the UW the problem lies higher up the food chain. When you have school
    presidents and regents who are more interested in winning the racial/gender equality game than the game on the field or the court, then the best you can hope for is mediocrity which is exactly what Romar delivers. The only thing a sane Husky fan can do is vote with your feet and stop giving them money for a shit product. It's encouraging to see that this has happened with both football and basketball game attendance.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    A large part of the reason why Romar is able to develop guards is because his offenses traditionally specialize in rat ball concepts where guard play is going to dominate the process.

Anybody that can't see at this point that at this point Romar's just cashing those damn checks and regardless of whether or not he has that fire in his belly to win or not deserves Owen-27 or whatever a full basketball season of losses is worth.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Romar could sodomise Mother Theresa and doogs would still gleefully come to his defense and savagely attack any rational, logical, dreaming-of-greatness fan.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

BUT HE WAS DRAFTED.

Yeah, those guys were really good. I think everyone realizes that. I do agree about Isaiah. He was pretty good his freshman and sophomore years, but I wondered why he wasn't going off more.