Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Another little fact proving the O-line's inadequacy.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
Just something small, but it caused me to shake my head - fetters and eklund put together a "dawgman radio" recording, giving their thoughts on spring ball thus far. One comment that got my attention was their remark about Jake Eldrenkamp. Remember when we were sold on the notion that Eldrenkamp was a great 'get' in last year's recruiting class? Of course, making that assertion had nothing to do with trying to cover up the GINORMOUS mistakes committed during the recruitment of Banner and Garnett. (sarcasm)

Anyway, eklund and fetters were chatting about the offensive line, and there was no mention of Eldrenkamp. And then - FINALLY - eklund said that Eldrenkamp still looks a ways away from being able to contribute. A ways away? For the "star" OL recruit of the 2012 class?

Look, I know he's only a RS freshman, but I don't care what position you are - truly great players are never a ways away from seeing the field, even as freshmen. Just look at the past few years - Colin Porter, Eric Kohler, Tanigawa. Those guys were not great as freshmen, but they were "in the mix" when they arrived on campus. Last year's O-line class was a bust, and the comments of eklund and fetters prove it. Just too bad it's not allowed to be discussed on "deleteman.com."

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,143
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Banner and Garnett were never going to be Huskies. It was pre-determined thousands of years ago. Bear Bryant wouldn't have been able to recruit them to Montlake. To imply it was somehow Sark's fault is just plain silly.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ah, yes, Banner and Garnett, the year the fence was declared irrelvant. I was roaming the dawgman sidelines as HoratioHornBlower at the time. Just from reading the recuits own words I posted there as zero % chance for Garnett and 50% for Banner. Of course, I was called a coog/duck troll and it was a long way to February yadda yadda. When they both signed elsewhere, of course, true to my form, I reminded everyone I was right and Sark sucks at recruiting the best players in the state. That was followed by the famous discussion on how we don't care where players are from. With the internet, cell phones, and airplanes, recruiting the state was no longer a must, plus we got Shaq Thompson which proves the point...and Sark is a national recruiter. Of course I was right, and then Horatio was banned.
  • Options

Banner and Garnett were never going to be Huskies. It was pre-determined thousands of years ago. Bear Bryant wouldn't have been able to recruit them to Montlake. To imply it was somehow Sark's fault is just plain silly.

Derek - That is not what I heard, and I have friends that contribute mightily to the program (as I'm sure you do). The word is that the UW let weeks (sometimes more) go by without being in contact with Garnett and Banner. And, when Cox (who was responsible for recruiting them) did touch base, his comments were along the lines of: "Come on...you know you're going to be Huskies." It was a terrible recruiting effort.

A somewhat similar situation happened with Tyrone Rodgers' son (Na'Ty), the offensive lineman from Maryland. I happen to be friends with a number of guys that played at UW in the early 90s (when I was there), and Tyrone told a couple of them that the UW completely stopped contacting his son for extended periods of time, leaving the family wondering whether Sark was serious.

Finally, the UW came back to him, causing him to delay his announcement. Ultimately he decided to go with a team that had been after him consistently.

I'm sorry, but we could've done A LOT better job with Banner and Garnett. A lot better.
  • Options

Ah, yes, Banner and Garnett, the year the fence was declared irrelvant. I was roaming the dawgman sidelines as HoratioHornBlower at the time. Just from reading the recuits own words I posted there as zero % chance for Garnett and 50% for Banner. Of course, I was called a coog/duck troll and it was a long way to February yadda yadda. When they both signed elsewhere, of course, true to my form, I reminded everyone I was right and Sark sucks at recruiting the best players in the state. That was followed by the famous discussion on how we don't care where players are from. With the internet, cell phones, and airplanes, recruiting the state was no longer a must, plus we got Shaq Thompson which proves the point...and Sark is a national recruiter. Of course I was right, and then Horatio was banned.

Yes, you gotta love the "in-state recruits are irrelevant" guys. Why would we want to build a loyal following/pipeline to in-state schools? Why would we want to convince local kids that playing in front of their parents and winning can BOTH be done?

Somewhere Don James is shaking his head.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,520
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Passion said:

Derek - That is not what I heard, and I have friends that contribute mightily to the program (as I'm sure you do). The word is that the UW let weeks (sometimes more) go by without being in contact with Garnett and Banner. And, when Cox (who was responsible for recruiting them) did touch base, his comments were along the lines of: "Come on...you know you're going to be Huskies." It was a terrible recruiting effort.

A somewhat similar situation happened with Tyrone Rodgers' son (Na'Ty), the offensive lineman from Maryland. I happen to be friends with a number of guys that played at UW in the early 90s (when I was there), and Tyrone told a couple of them that the UW completely stopped contacting his son for extended periods of time, leaving the family wondering whether Sark was serious.

Finally, the UW came back to him, causing him to delay his announcement. Ultimately he decided to go with a team that had been after him consistently.

I'm sorry, but we could've done A LOT better job with Banner and Garnett. A lot better.

There is multiple sarcasm on this forum. Brush the rust off your detector
  • Options

Passion said:

There is multiple sarcasm on this forum. Brush the rust off your detector

Sorry...Feeling stupid right about now.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,143
    Founders Club
    Passion said:

Yes I know... Tyrone Rodgers contacted me during the recruiting season with the idea that I might be able to help bring more attention to his son from UW... and I had to let him know that I no longer worked for Dawgman.com plus I never covered recruiting. His son, of course, ended up signing with South Carolina.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,095
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Passion said:

Yes I know... Tyrone Rodgers contacted me during the recruiting season with the idea that I might be able to help bring more attention to his son from UW... and I had to let him know that I no longer worked for Dawgman.com plus I never covered recruiting. His son, of course, ended up signing with South Carolina.
    We don't need no damn legacy fence. We can get better players from California!
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Gese, some of you guys need a time out. It was the fault of the assistant coaches and they've been replaced.
  • Options

Gese, some of you guys need a time out. It was the fault of the assistant coaches and they've been replaced.

I continue to hold out hope that Sark will turn it around. Still, his Teflon exterior would impress any politician. The guy just doesn't get blamed for anything. The defense sucks? Fire the assistants. Keith Price sucks? It's kiseau's fault. The O-line sucks? Banner and Garnett were never going to UW, and cozzetto is on thin ice.

And now he's got the media (dawgman.com) censoring for him. Pretty impressive, actually.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Passion said:

I continue to hold out hope that Sark will turn it around. Still, his Teflon exterior would impress any politician. The guy just doesn't get blamed for anything. The defense sucks? Fire the assistants. Keith Price sucks? It's kiseau's fault. The O-line sucks? Banner and Garnett were never going to UW, and cozzetto is on thin ice.

And now he's got the media (dawgman.com) censoring for him. Pretty impressive, actually.
    When you say "now" are you referring to 2008-2009 when he was first hired and impressed Kim by drinking shots of tequila?

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Looks like a coach gets a lot of miles from Kick ass pressers and doing shots with Grinolds.

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Passion said:

Passion said:

There is no incentive to "turn things around". No accountability, huge pay check, cushy media sucking him off. Sark doesnt have the internal fire like many of the greatest coaches of all time did. He also doesnt have the typical pressure to preform for his paycheck like a normal fucking school. Sark figured this shit out after the first game where he talked about the fan base giving him a standing ovation after losing to LSU 31-23... UWs fan base is completely screwed. The atheltic department (much like the biesbol mariners) is content to be a vampire living on the ignorant while the willingham and now Sark era's have made the younger fans not give a fuck about the team and cause once hardcore fans to become apathetic. The only fucktards left are the apologists that are just happy to grab a ribs and rickshaw before the game and have a drink with softy afterwards.

The only way UW magically returns to form is a it gets lucky and hires a coach that has the internal fire to be great (Mora might have been that guy but that ship has sailed). Fleens says to wait for Pat "Fucking TUFF" Hill