Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hindsight

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I don't blame Schneider of Carroll for locking up Wilson. That's what you do with QB's who win. In hindsight though, does anyone else agree it would be better to have let him play out this year and franchise him next year?

I think he's disliked by more than just this board and there was more smoke than originally thought about his teammates not being too fond of him. That was the report last year when the team was struggling. The chemistry isn't what it was from a few years ago. Then again, these guys are pro's and chemistry and getting along is often overrated.

Comments

• Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The guy used to spend all his spare time studying the playbook and practicing, now it's posing for Instagram and taking every opportunity to tell the world how much he's not fucking his girlfriend. Maybe that gets a little irritating for teammates.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2015
    Maybe in hindsight, but OTOH having your QB's contract hang over your head all year long would have gotten old quickly too. I still think he'd make more than the contract they gave him on the open market if it ever came to that, and franchising him the next two years would cost much more on average than the prorated part of the average annual value of the extension.

I think they did what they had to do.

Ciara needs to break up with him and let him get his head back in the game.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Sounds like too many people worrying about shit that doesn't matter to me ... your job on the field is to go out and win. Big difference between wanting to hang out with people off the field versus working together on the field.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I don't buy that at all. I think some of his teammate think he's weird, but they all respect the things he can do and his work ethic. Look at the time he has to throw the football, he's under siege on virtually every snap. I would like to see him under center and throwing quick passes more, but that's another story.

Wilson is a winner and a potentially great quarterback. Where the Seahawks failed is their overconfidence (arrogance?) that they could patchwork together a bunch of rejects on the offensive line and make them productive. I believe it has messed with Wilson's confidence and concentration, and understandably so.

If you're talking about discontentment, I think the Chancellor thing may have had reverberations into the season. Why is the defensive backfield playing so poorly at times when the front seven is playing so well?

I think there's truth to both arguments. I think Wilson has played poorly and rubbed a few teammates wrong, but most of them respect him even if they're not hanging out together. I think Chancellor's holdout was a bigger distraction than anyone wanted to admit at the time. But I think you hit on the biggest thing, their arrogance and overconfidence in Cable and a bunch of DL rejects has stripped the offense of any sort of rhythm or consistency.

TL;DR: Abundance
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Sounds like too many people worrying about shit that doesn't matter to me ... your job on the field is to go out and win. Big difference between wanting to hang out with people off the field versus working together on the field.

It's different in general in pro sports, but chemistry is huge at any level of football.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't buy that at all. I think some of his teammate think he's weird, but they all respect the things he can do and his work ethic. Look at the time he has to throw the football, he's under siege on virtually every snap. I would like to see him under center and throwing quick passes more, but that's another story.

Wilson is a winner and a potentially great quarterback. Where the Seahawks failed is their overconfidence (arrogance?) that they could patchwork together a bunch of rejects on the offensive line and make them productive. I believe it has messed with Wilson's confidence and concentration, and understandably so.

If you're talking about discontentment, I think the Chancellor thing may have had reverberations into the season. Why is the defensive backfield playing so poorly at times when the front seven is playing so well?

Good post. It is strange that the secondary's communication breaks down as often as it has. I rarely, if ever remember that happening the past two years. I would say Bennett, Avril, Wagner, and possibly even Wright are playing better than any member of the secondary. Maybe Earl Thomas, but even he has been playing worse this year.

In regards to Wilson throwing more quick passes, I think that's where his height comes in. He's average, maybe even below average as a pocket passer.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,415
    Founders Club

Good post. It is strange that the secondary's communication breaks down as often as it has. I rarely, if ever remember that happening the past two years. I would say Bennett, Avril, Wagner, and possibly even Wright are playing better than any member of the secondary. Maybe Earl Thomas, but even he has been playing worse this year.

In regards to Wilson throwing more quick passes, I think that's where his height comes in. He's average, maybe even below average as a pocket passer.
    The only thing is that he's the same height as Drew Brees, and Brees can work from the pocket. So why not Russell? But you might be right.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wilson is a league leader in sacks caused by the QB
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The OL sucks, but this is also true.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,415
    Founders Club

Techinically that's true, but the O-line is the root cause of what's in his head.

I do get the sense that Carroll is a little frustrated with Russell though. Like he's the $21 million guy and he's got to be better than that regardless of the o-line.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    In hindsight yeah they probably should have waited but then you run the risk of him hitting free agency and driving the price up a ton. There are some rumors that some of the players on offense are upset with Wilson because he's not making plays. This is true, he misses wide open receivers at least 4 or 5 times a game because he simply doesn't see them. Part of it is his height (which is a real problem), but he seems really out of sorts this year.

FYI, if there are issues with him I bet Graham is one of them. He seems like the type to bitch if he isn't getting a ton of targets per game. There has to be a reason a lot of NFL players hate the guy.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611

The only thing is that he's the same height as Drew Brees, and Brees can work from the pocket. So why not Russell? But you might be right.
    I think that Brees is a once in a generation type QB that can succeed even with his height issues. Also, Sean Payton is a genius and developed an amazing offense that worked to all of his strengths.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This is often very overrated, but I truly believe his new lifestyle is affecting his play this year. He, and quite honestly the rest of the team as well, need to go back to what made them great and stop trying to all be the star that everyone talks about
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,209
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Been saying it all year, it's regression to the mean on the defense that is really the root cause. The offense no longer has a historically good defense to bail it out, which makes its warts even more noticeable.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    $$$ makes some people lazy. As a GM, I would NEVER give a potential holdout/holdout $hit. Stand your ground and they'll never start in the first place. It's like caving in to kidnapping or blackmail.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,996
    I think the Hawks have more of a roster shakeup this off-season on their own accord rather than guys leaving in FA. I'm guessing Irvin is gone although his MCL injury may help. It's time to put an end to the trading of draft picks for star FA guys who by and large haven't done shit and only acted as a negative to the team. I think Schneider can pull his head out and get back to his form of his first couple years here. Hawks need OL and WR help badly, but Wilson needs to step up and earn the paycheck he scored last summer as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch also hung it up after this season. He's missing time and is probably sick of running behind a shit-tier OL. Thankfully Rawls looks halfway decent. In a way the Hawks have pulled an NFL level of getting cute and trying to do shit because it's possible, not necessarily because they should. Go with what fucking works.

I ragged on Byron Maxwell last year but he is miles ahead of Cary free fucking yards Williams. Guy is a liability every snap, I wouldn't mind spending a draft pick at CB/safety either, but this is secondary to the above needs imo. The defense isn't as clutch as it has been in the past few years but it's still a top 5 defense in the league. The offense still sucks giant dong and can't lean on the defense as much as it has been able to in recent years.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dhdawg said:

This is often very overrated, but I truly believe his new lifestyle is affecting his play this year. He, and quite honestly the rest of the team as well, need to go back to what made them great and stop trying to all be the star that everyone talks about

They gotta get rid of Graham. He doesn't have any guaranteed money after this year.. I bet it's likely.
    Yep. It's not even similar to the Harvin situation. If Harvin (the asshole that he was) kept everything behind closed doors and while divisive, was never public about it. Not once did he pout in that game when he had 3 TD's called back.
    Graham is never shy to drop a pass and then arrogantly jog back to the huddle as if the team is lucky he plays at all
  • Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,438
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited November 2015
    Perhaps we can snag Sean Payton as OC when he is shitcanned this year.

Wilson's scrambles and designed runs look predictable and slow. He doesnt play the the elusive quickness he did when he didn't know what his next paycheck would look like. Plenty of times he pulls up, dodges out of bounds, takes off too late - all little things that kill drives and add up to the inevitable 3-7 point loss. His killer instinct is lost - not sure he can ever get that back. If Rawls shits the bed next year with Lynch gone this offense will be an abortion and combined with what they lose on the D line this team will be searching for draft answers to get back to +0.500 football.