Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jeff Lindquist: Team Captain

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
Everybody has been jumping on Babushka this week (and rightfully so) for even suggesting that the Swede is playing because he's a team captain ... but that's probably not the most discouraging thing about the quote.

Let's look at who exactly the Captain's are for the season:

Offense:
Lindquist
Cooper

Defense:
Feeney
Tupou

Feeney's a deserving captain and probably one of the leaders of the defense not only in play but in attitude. Tupou is a nice story and given the lack of depth on the defense at the junior/senior level, I have no problem with a captain that is representing perseverance.

But when you look at the offensive captains, neither of the two actually play any meaningful snaps. You have seniors in Perkins and Mickens that aren't captains. No OL. No nothing. There's a really strong chance going into next year that Browning will end up being a 3 year captain when it is all said and done.

If you want to start looking at reasons why we are losing close games, it's got as much to do with lack of leadership on the field from the players as it is on the coaching. We right now don't have guys that can gather everybody together, instill confidence, and then lead through their play. It's just not there.

Where does this rant come from? Coming back from lunch heard Softy talk about how great it was that Browning as a true freshman was stepping up as a leader and being vocal. While I think there's a good amount of that in Browning (as there should be in any QB worth a shit), but a lot of it is also coming from necessity.

When looking towards next year and more importantly the offseason, there's a line of thinking that we'll get better just because everybody will be improving and getting a year older. The other side of this though is that I think that you're going to see improvement simply because you are going to have younger players stepping up in leadership roles that not only have experience but can lead from their play. Possible captains for next year:

Defensively: Budda, Victor, Qualls (all outstanding options)
Offensively: Browning (slam dunk) and ??? Wouldn't shock me if you saw Adams or Gaskin already jumping in that role.

I think that the future leaders outside of Browning on this offense reside on the OL. But if there's a big difference in what I'm seeing right now in what we're recruiting/developing from the offensive to defensive side of the ball, I can see us recruiting guys like Eifler defensively that I'd be shocked if he wasn't a future captain for us but what are we bringing in offensively that you can say that about outside of some of the OL?

Comments