Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This program has ruined me as a fan

EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
edited October 2015 in Hardcore Husky Board
I'm 31, so I barely remember '91, was in high school the last time UW went to a bowl game that was worth a shit, and have spent virtually all of my adult life watching the team I love lose to the team I hate the most(along with all other semi-decent teams). I'm at the point where I hate watching the games. I get so fucking mad that I lose all control and start spewing phrases that could make PL_SS blush. Old people around me in the stadium turn and look with horror, stunned that the human mind can construct such vile sentences. My friends and family get on my case about it saying I shouldn't get so mad over a game.

The shit I've had to watch the last 14 years has made me so pessimistic it's pathetic. When I watch the Huskies play, my first instinct is to assume that every flag is on them, every review is going against them, and that every time they make a good play, they're going to fuck it up and give it back. I didn't see Gaskin score tonight because I was looking for flags, and I do that on pretty much every big play without even consciously doing it.

When the score was 23-6 tonight, part of me was actually hoping Oregon would break out the plunger and finish them off just so I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's straight battered spouse shit. I keep hoping things will change, that at some point whatever loser coach we have will turn the corner and pretend to earn his multimillion dollar salary, but every time it ends with a swift kick to the dick followed by the realization that as long as a bunch of liberals who don't give a fuck about football run UW, the football team is never going to be good again.

There's no accountability, and it goes all the way up the chain. The president and BOR don't hold the athletic director to a standard of excellence, so there's no pressure on him to hold the coach to one, the coach doesn't hold his assistants accountable, mediocrity becomes acceptable, and all of a sudden your program becomes a breeding ground for losers. Sure, a coach may leave or get fired occasionally, but the culture remains, fueled by the fact that the people in charge don't seem to care.

I better cut this off before it gets any closer to Tequilla long, but I fear I've gotten to that point already. I'm just so fucking tired of this shit. It sucks watching something I care about continually fall short of what I know it can be. I miss Washington, dammit.

Comments

• Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,981
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Front page belongs
  • Options
    DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    edited October 2015
    I feel for you man.

I was a senior in college in 1991. I lived through the prime of this program during the prime of my life. I remember what it was like to be a fan of, and friends with, the baddest motherfuckers in college football.

What's worse ... having had the experience and then losing it in soul crushing fashion, or never having had the experience at all?
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://www.ymtvacations.com/tour/grand-european-cruise-tour-august-sailing/itineraryThe shit I've had to watch the last 14 years has made me so pessimistic it's pathetic. When I watch the Huskies play, my first instinct is to assume that every flag is on them, every review is going against them, and that every time they make a good play, they're going to fuck it up and give it back. I didn't see Gaskin score tonight because I was looking for flags, and I do that on pretty much every big play without even consciously doing it.

. I miss Washington, dammit.

This sums it up for me as well. I've trained myself that we are two steps forward three steps back.

Case in point: freeman fumbles, clearly down, pac-12 ref's do their job which is to fuck it up as usual (but this time it's for us), blow the whistle to start and yet we don't have a phrase, sign, ANYTHING that says you snap the ball IMMEDIATELY and have Jake take a knee to get the play off. Sure enough Helfrich throws the flag or calls to and call reversed.

Or on the opening fucking kick-off Addison muffs the ball three times and we still can't find a way to get it.

My heart wants to believe so badly, but my brain has seen this for so many years it has conditioned me to know that the happiness and joy will somehow someway be killed.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    DHD said:

I feel for you man.

I was a senior in college in 1991. I lived through the prime of this program during the prime of my life. I remember what it was like to be a fan of, and friends with, the baddest motherfuckers in college football.

What's worse ... having had the experience and then losing it in soul crushing fashion, or never having had the experience at all?

Trust me never having it at all is much worse. I've been a husky fan since 05
  • Options
    wobidbuswobidbus Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 308
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm 32 and in the same exact boat. My brain is wired to think that UW is a top 15 program by birthright, and still can't handle the fact that we're a top 80 program.

@dhdawg how in the world did that happen? Everyone else you know is a 12, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,592
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This program bears no resemblance to the one I watched as a child. I was 12 when we won the Rose Bowl last, and that program was nothing like it was 10 years before even at that point. It's a downward spiral of emotional abuse.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,901
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I'm a few years older than some of you, so I can remember the early 90s teams really well. I can also remember the lame late 80s teams. Those teams were still better coached than today's team. That clock management was just horrible. I don't even remember the punts on fourth and short because: alcohol.

3-3 used to be considered really bad, like a major failure. I remember they started 2-3 when I was in fifth grade, and they had lost @ an AZ team that had beaten Oklahomo, Colorado (they were a top ten team then for you youngsters), and SC who owned the Pac 10. That wasn't acceptable though. It was fucking bullshit. I got so mad that I almost started rooting for other teams.

Now it's almost expected. And fuck all the senior citizens with perspective who remember when the team was 2-8 or some shit in 1968 because Jim Owens was a racist. Give me a break. Do you want to be a top 15-20 program or not? Stop excusing bullshit and mediocrity.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,993
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I'm 28 and this post was nail.on.head.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Dawgtona said:

I'm 48 and I think it is much worse witnessing where the program once was, where it is now and knowing that it will never get back that level.

You're probably right, but at least you got to see it in its prime. Guys like me just got enough of a taste to get hooked before the rug got pulled out from under us. The kids who didn't see any of it won't stick around. Most of them are probably Oregon fans now anyway.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,306
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Until Pussyman admits the Smith hiring and subsequent adherence after last season was a colossal failure, I hate him. No Beaver should EVER coach on the UW sidelines EVER!!!
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

I'm 31, so I barely remember '91, was in high school the last time UW went to a bowl game that was worth a shit, and have spent virtually all of my adult life watching the team I love lose to the team I hate the most(along with all other semi-decent teams). I'm at the point where I hate watching the games. I get so fucking mad that I lose all control and start spewing phrases that could make PL_SS blush. Old people around me in the stadium turn and look with horror, stunned that the human mind can construct such vile sentences. My friends and family get on my case about it saying I shouldn't get so mad over a game.

The shit I've had to watch the last 14 years has made me so pessimistic it's pathetic. When I watch the Huskies play, my first instinct is to assume that every flag is on them, every review is going against them, and that every time they make a good play, they're going to fuck it up and give it back. I didn't see Gaskin score tonight because I was looking for flags, and I do that on pretty much every big play without even consciously doing it.

When the score was 23-6 tonight, part of me was actually hoping Oregon would break out the plunger and finish them off just so I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's straight battered spouse shit. I keep hoping things will change, that at some point whatever loser coach we have will turn the corner and pretend to earn his multimillion dollar salary, but every time it ends with a swift kick to the dick followed by the realization that as long as a bunch of liberals who don't give a fuck about football run UW, the football team is never going to be good again.

There's no accountability, and it goes all the way up the chain. The president and BOR don't hold the athletic director to a standard of excellence, so there's no pressure on him to hold the coach to one, the coach doesn't hold his assistants accountable, mediocrity becomes acceptable, and all of a sudden your program becomes a breeding ground for losers. Sure, a coach may leave or get fired occasionally, but the culture remains, fueled by the fact that the people in charge don't seem to care.

I better cut this off before it gets any closer to Tequilla long, but I fear I've gotten to that point already. I'm just so fucking tired of this shit. It sucks watching something I care about continually fall short of what I know it can be. I miss Washington, dammit.

You miss Washington? You were in diapers when we were good. You have no clue. Join in with the crowd. Make yourself feel cool. Typical millennial gibberish.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

I'm a few years older than some of you, so I can remember the early 90s teams really well. I can also remember the lame late 80s teams. Those teams were still better coached than today's team. That clock management was just horrible. I don't even remember the punts on fourth and short because: alcohol.

3-3 used to be considered really bad, like a major failure. I remember they started 2-3 when I was in fifth grade, and they had lost @ an AZ team that had beaten Oklahomo, Colorado (they were a top ten team then for you youngsters), and SC who owned the Pac 10. That wasn't acceptable though. It was fucking bullshit. I got so mad that I almost started rooting for other teams.

Now it's almost expected. And fuck all the senior citizens with perspective who remember when the team was 2-8 or some shit in 1968 because Jim Owens was a racist. Give me a break. Do you want to be a top 15-20 program or not? Stop excusing bullshit and mediocrity.

Those shitty 80's teams. You know, 84-33-2 is really shitty. Your perspective is appreciated, albeit off base. Unless, of course, you buy into to the @TierbsHsotBoobs BS.