Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Concerns over WR recruiting

whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,713 Swaye's Wigwam
We suck at it.

What is Petersen going to do about it?

Comments

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    WR's are the least of the our concerns.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,713 Swaye's Wigwam

Pettis and Lenius are only sophomores. Renfro, McClatcher, and Pounds in this year's class. LIPO with those guys. Baccallia will probably suck and likely doesn't have a high ceiling, but besides him, everyone looks like a decent prospect. I disagree with Dennis and thought the kid from Texas looked pretty good. A Reggie Williams would be great, but it's not that big of deal.

It's a lot better to be concerned about questionable WR recruiting than the OL.

I'm happy with Aaron Fuller, too, but I'm looking at WR recruiting since Petersen has arrived, and it's lacks the big names that we've seen at the other position groups. If we're looking at 247's Composite 4*s under Petersen, we have:

QB (2): KJCS, Browning
    RB (1): McGrew
    WR/TE (0):
    OL (4): McGary, Roberts, Adams, Wattenburg
    DL (1): Potoae
    LB (2): Eifler, Wellington
    DB (3): Baker, Hale, Joyner

Then again, stars aren't everything, but it's the one area where we haven't had a consensus 4* yet.

I think I'm nervous about WR recruiting because in the last 10 days, we've lost out on five targets to USC, ND, Louisville, Arizona, and Stanford, and I think we're on the outside looking in for a number of others. I think Petersen and the other coaches are going to start offering scholarships to some of the other kids that have committed elsewhere, to lesser schools, in hopes of flipping them.

Then again, I think we're only taking 3 WR this year, meaning only 2 more spots remain, so maybe they'll go harder after Crawford and Harry and whoever else we have a decent shot at.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,548 Founders Club

Pettis and Lenius are only sophomores. Renfro, McClatcher, and Pounds in this year's class. LIPO with those guys. Baccallia will probably suck and likely doesn't have a high ceiling, but besides him, everyone looks like a decent prospect. I disagree with Dennis and thought the kid from Texas looked pretty good. A Reggie Williams would be great, but it's not that big of deal.

It's a lot better to be concerned about questionable WR recruiting than the OL.

I'm happy with Aaron Fuller, too, but I'm looking at WR recruiting since Petersen has arrived, and it's lacks the big names that we've seen at the other position groups. If we're looking at 247's Composite 4*s under Petersen, we have:

QB (2): KJCS, Browning
    RB (1): McGrew
    WR/TE (0):
    OL (4): McGary, Roberts, Adams, Wattenburg
    DL (1): Potoae
    LB (2): Eifler, Wellington
    DB (3): Baker, Hale, Joyner

Then again, stars aren't everything, but it's the one area where we haven't had a consensus 4* yet.

I think I'm nervous about WR recruiting because in the last 10 days, we've lost out on five targets to USC, ND, Louisville, Arizona, and Stanford, and I think we're on the outside looking in for a number of others. I think Petersen and the other coaches are going to start offering scholarships to some of the other kids that have committed elsewhere, to lesser schools, in hopes of flipping them.

Then again, I think we're only taking 3 WR this year, meaning only 2 more spots remain, so maybe they'll go harder after Crawford and Harry and whoever else we have a decent shot at.
    Until we prove we have anything better than the worst QB/offense in the Pac 12 it's going to be hard to convince top talent from out of the area to come north.

I'm not too worried about it. As mentioned we have some good looking underclassmen WR already in the program, and if Pete is who we think he is (also if Browning is who I think he is) some 4 star guys will be interested moving forward. The truly game breaking WR talent can excel as a true frosh. I'd rather have a stock pile of big uglies to be developed over a few years and roll the dice on finding a game breaker on the perimeter.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,309
    Anyone worried about WR sizzle in July deserves @Owen12
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,043 Standard Supporter

Uh, Renfro and McClatcher were 4-star kids, Pettis had a good year for a true frosh and has been mentioned as a possible All Pac-12 candidate this year. Lenius chose us over Miami and looked really good in limited time last year.

What the F do people want?

Look, I think Fuller sucks, I think Little sucks, I think Andre B. is likely to suck and Pounds makes me yawn... but give it a rest.

If there are ever topics that overlap here and at doogman the poaster should be banned for a week.

When did lenius look good? Maybe he will turn out to be good. But he was nothing last year. Looking at his bio last year he had 7 catches for 56 yards. Half of his yards were on one catch vs ucla.

Wr recruiting is the least of my worries too. But pettis so far is the only young one on the team worth a damn.

• Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Uh, Renfro and McClatcher were 4-star kids, Pettis had a good year for a true frosh and has been mentioned as a possible All Pac-12 candidate this year. Lenius chose us over Miami and looked really good in limited time last year.

Look, I think Fuller sucks, I think Little sucks, I think Andre B. is likely to suck and Pounds makes me yawn... but give it a rest.

If there are ever topics that overlap here and at doogman the poaster should be banned for a week.

When did lenius look good? Maybe he will turn out to be good. But he was nothing last year. Looking at his bio last year he had 7 catches for 56 yards. Half of his yards were on one catch vs ucla.

Wr recruiting is the least of my worries too. But pettis so far is the only young one on the team worth a damn.

Did you see UW football games last year?
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    2016 WR recruiting has been weird, there's a bunch of high 4star guys that wanted SC offers, but never got them as Sark took WRs from SEC land. McKinley Crawford McKnight Alloway - could be some shakeup with their preferences. I know Uw is heavily involved with some of those guys.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,605
    Yeah, my guess is that the staff gets one stud (4 stars like you mentioned or 5 star N'Keal Henry) and then another 3 star guy (mid to high).

Best guy they got last year was Renfro (high 3 star / low 4 star) followed by Chico (easier to find guys like him than potential #1 WRs like Renfro).

I'm most concerned with the DL recruiting this year. I think Choate is a great coach and a good recruiter but it's kind of a down year for DTs / NTs on the West Coast this year.

2016 WR recruiting has been weird, there's a bunch of high 4star guys that wanted SC offers, but never got them as Sark took WRs from SEC land. McKinley Crawford McKnight Alloway - could be some shakeup with their preferences. I know Uw is heavily involved with some of those guys.

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,043 Standard Supporter

Did you see UW football games last year?
    Unfortunately I did see all the games last year. And lenius was not good. @dnc gave expert analysis. He showed size and not much else. anyone saying he is going to be good is more hope than anything. I hope he is good too. Wouldn't bet on it though. Especially since our quarterbacks are not likely to make him look better than he is.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,713 Swaye's Wigwam

Uh, Renfro and McClatcher were 4-star kids,

In case you didn't know, Scout overinflates their star rankings now. It used to be that if you were in the Top 51-300, you were given 4*s and everyone below was 3*s. Now Scout gives about 400 kids 4*s, so people get more excited, stroke their dicks and claim greatness on the number of shiny pictures of stars on a website.

Pettis had a good year for a true frosh and has been mentioned as a possible All Pac-12 candidate this year.

Dante Pettis looked good against Colorado and only Colorado. I wanna see a WR that can put up good numbers against the upper-tier of the conference, not fucking Colorado. He put up DiAndre Campbell's numbers last year. How the fuck is he an All Pac-12 candidate this year?

Lenius chose us over Miami and looked really good in limited time last year.

You mean, Lenius looked good during one play last year.

I don't get all this bullshit where we're doing fine. Right now, pretty much everyone is unproven at the WR position heading into this year except for Mickens and Hall. Pettis and Lenius really didn't do much at the WR position. Yeah, Pettis shit all over Colorado and Lenius had one catch against UCLA and that's it. And all these new WRs haven't proven they can compete against the Oregons, Stanfords, USCs or UCLAs yet.

We need better talent at the WR position if we ever want to break out of 3rd place in the Pac-12 North. We need better talent everywhere, and we're getting it everywhere else, but we're still striking out at WR.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,128

Uh, Renfro and McClatcher were 4-star kids,

In case you didn't know, Scout overinflates their star rankings now. It used to be that if you were in the Top 51-300, you were given 4*s and everyone below was 3*s. Now Scout gives about 400 kids 4*s, so people get more excited, stroke their dicks and claim greatness on the number of shiny pictures of stars on a website.

Pettis had a good year for a true frosh and has been mentioned as a possible All Pac-12 candidate this year.

Dante Pettis looked good against Colorado and only Colorado. I wanna see a WR that can put up good numbers against the upper-tier of the conference, not fucking Colorado. He put up DiAndre Campbell's numbers last year. How the fuck is he an All Pac-12 candidate this year?

Lenius chose us over Miami and looked really good in limited time last year.

You mean, Lenius looked good during one play last year.

I don't get all this bullshit where we're doing fine. Right now, pretty much everyone is unproven at the WR position heading into this year except for Mickens and Hall. Pettis and Lenius really didn't do much at the WR position. Yeah, Pettis shit all over Colorado and Lenius had one catch against UCLA and that's it. And all these new WRs haven't proven they can compete against the Oregons, Stanfords, USCs or UCLAs yet.

We need better talent at the WR position if we ever want to break out of 3rd place in the Pac-12 North. We need better talent everywhere, and we're getting it everywhere else, but we're still striking out at WR.
    I guess we just shouldn't play this year. It's hopeless.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    HFNY said:

Yeah, my guess is that the staff gets one stud (4 stars like you mentioned or 5 star N'Keal Henry) and then another 3 star guy (mid to high).

Best guy they got last year was Renfro (high 3 star / low 4 star) followed by Chico (easier to find guys like him than potential #1 WRs like Renfro).

I'm most concerned with the DL recruiting this year. I think Choate is a great coach and a good recruiter but it's kind of a down year for DTs / NTs on the West Coast this year.

I know you've been holding out hope for Harry, but I don't see him going to UW, as SC has been backing away from him due to academis. If SC can't take a guy academically, UW usually can't either.

UA, ASU or somewhere random in big12 or SEC would be my guess.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

HFNY said:

I know you've been holding out hope for Harry, but I don't see him going to UW, as SC has been backing away from him due to academis. If SC can't take a guy academically, UW usually can't either.

UA, ASU or somewhere random in big12 or SEC would be my guess.
    I know nothing about him, but I do know a 5 star from Arizona isn't coming to UW.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    edited July 2015
    So SC, ASU and UA all have different academic standards than UW? That's news to me. It's my understanding that in the P12, only Stanford and possibly UCLA have standards that differ from NCAA standards.

FWIW, the kid's HS coach stated this past week that Henry is on track to be fully qualified.