Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Heaps As A Cautionary Tale

2»

Comments

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,556 Founders Club
    Browning will be good. I stake my rep on it. He throws dimes.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,618 Founders Club
    ^ I'm also a Browning believer based on a few articles and Youtube. Somebody said he was the best QB to ever come from Sacramento.
  • drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    DHD said:

According to the article, mom and dad get most of the blame for fucking up his head, fucking up his recruitment and fucking up his time at BYU. Got it.

So, he jettisons mom and dad at the end of his BYU career.

Who gets the blame for Kansas, Miami and the basement of his in-laws house in University Place?

#jesus
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    DHD said:

According to the article, mom and dad get most of the blame for fucking up his head, fucking up his recruitment and fucking up his time at BYU. Got it.

So, he jettisons mom and dad at the end of his BYU career.

Who gets the blame for Kansas, Miami and the basement of his in-laws house in University Place?

• Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Doogles said:

Browning will be good. I stake my rep on it. He throws dimes.

Wait, what rep? ;) <----- faggy wink, $75k!!! Lolooollolol!!1!
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    Sounds like Millenials are a bunch of spoiled $75K pussies - shocker.

I'm sure they're having a great time today, and wouldn't expect to see them at work tomorrow.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Fair warning that this is a bit TL, DR ... but I have some fairly strong thoughts on this as it hits relatively close at home for me ...

Unfortunately this is way too big of a problem for a number of children/parents across a number of different sports. Too many parents view the select teams, lessons, travel, etc. for their kids tied to sports as future investments that they are making against their future professional salaries instead of investments in allowing their kids to pursue their dreams while learning/growing as young people.

On one hand, I feel very bad for Jake Heaps because I understand the pressures that parents can put on a kid. As a kid, you try to do your best to handle those pressures while maintaining your relationship with your parents ... and way too often the relationship falls apart in the long run when the kid finally decides to pursue his own path. Textbook example of what happened with Heaps.

I recall when Heaps' mother would be all over the Doogman boreds saying this and that. It was quite clear to me (given I have some experience in observing this behavior) that this was a case of an overprotective parent that was way too involved. There was nothing that came out of that story that was overly surprising to me.

Of course, CEO KJV runs his mouth off about how "parents visit these boreds" and all the things that come with that ... and that's very much true from that regard. What the article completely missed was calling out TBS websites for how much they perpetuate this kind of behavior from both kids and parents. Parents see where their kid is ranked, see $$$ signs in their eyes, and start pursuing, getting butthurt, etc. about things that honestly don't really matter. Kids CAN see the rankings as some kind of validation about how great they are and allow them to become and act entitled as if they are the gift of the world. Once kids start acting like that, they lose their hunger and will almost assuredly fail to reach their potential ... which is what happened to Heaps.

The bottom line is that the difference between High School level and the College level is night and day. It's so much more the exception than the rule that a true freshman will be able to come into a program at any position and contribute right away. And likewise, there is a huge difference between the College level and the Professional level. Most rookies have high moments and some considerably low moments during their first year in the league. As an athlete (and really this is true for everybody), if you aren't getting better, you're probably going to get passed along the way.

I've had a few people in passing bring up Eason as an example of whether he's going down the Jake Heaps route. I don't know enough one way or another to say whether he is or isn't. What I will say is that if he and his family is, they'd be well served to read this article on Heaps and take a nice long look in the mirror and perhaps a long walk outside and reconsider their perspective. If they aren't, then good on them.

My general opinion when I look at how Chris Peterson recruits is that these are some of the character traits that he's looking to identify in the recruiting process from both kid and parent. Those that have these traits are strong candidates to underperform and wash out of programs ... particularly when they don't get what they feel they are entitled to (notice that this is what generally leads to comments such as a coach has an alternative motive, it's not my fault, etc.). Let those kids go hang out with Seven down at USC ... we'll focus on the kids that have a chip on their shoulder and are always working on improving. After all, that's ALWAYS been the Washington way when we've been successful as a program.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,483
    Jesus, what a fucking joke. Spoiled Mormon kid, with parents that are way too involved/obsessed with their kid's life because they are Mormon and have no lives of their own, think the world owes them something, yet act like they own it. Sounds like standard operating procedure to me.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Tequilla said:

Fair warning that this is a bit TL, DR ... but I have some fairly strong thoughts on this as it hits relatively close at home for me ...

Unfortunately this is way too big of a problem for a number of children/parents across a number of different sports. Too many parents view the select teams, lessons, travel, etc. for their kids tied to sports as future investments that they are making against their future professional salaries instead of investments in allowing their kids to pursue their dreams while learning/growing as young people.

On one hand, I feel very bad for Jake Heaps because I understand the pressures that parents can put on a kid. As a kid, you try to do your best to handle those pressures while maintaining your relationship with your parents ... and way too often the relationship falls apart in the long run when the kid finally decides to pursue his own path. Textbook example of what happened with Heaps.

I recall when Heaps' mother would be all over the Doogman boreds saying this and that. It was quite clear to me (given I have some experience in observing this behavior) that this was a case of an overprotective parent that was way too involved. There was nothing that came out of that story that was overly surprising to me.

Of course, CEO KJV runs his mouth off about how "parents visit these boreds" and all the things that come with that ... and that's very much true from that regard. What the article completely missed was calling out TBS websites for how much they perpetuate this kind of behavior from both kids and parents. Parents see where their kid is ranked, see $$$ signs in their eyes, and start pursuing, getting butthurt, etc. about things that honestly don't really matter. Kids CAN see the rankings as some kind of validation about how great they are and allow them to become and act entitled as if they are the gift of the world. Once kids start acting like that, they lose their hunger and will almost assuredly fail to reach their potential ... which is what happened to Heaps.

The bottom line is that the difference between High School level and the College level is night and day. It's so much more the exception than the rule that a true freshman will be able to come into a program at any position and contribute right away. And likewise, there is a huge difference between the College level and the Professional level. Most rookies have high moments and some considerably low moments during their first year in the league. As an athlete (and really this is true for everybody), if you aren't getting better, you're probably going to get passed along the way.

I've had a few people in passing bring up Eason as an example of whether he's going down the Jake Heaps route. I don't know enough one way or another to say whether he is or isn't. What I will say is that if he and his family is, they'd be well served to read this article on Heaps and take a nice long look in the mirror and perhaps a long walk outside and reconsider their perspective. If they aren't, then good on them.

My general opinion when I look at how Chris Peterson recruits is that these are some of the character traits that he's looking to identify in the recruiting process from both kid and parent. Those that have these traits are strong candidates to underperform and wash out of programs ... particularly when they don't get what they feel they are entitled to (notice that this is what generally leads to comments such as a coach has an alternative motive, it's not my fault, etc.). Let those kids go hang out with Seven down at USC ... we'll focus on the kids that have a chip on their shoulder and are always working on improving. After all, that's ALWAYS been the Washington way when we've been successful as a program.

@Brook003, True?!?!
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,371 Swaye's Wigwam
    Kid could never take a hit. Also he went to BYU where there is extreme pressure to go on a mission, and guys who don't are looked down on. The official term is Pre-Mi (short for Pre-Mission). I've got some BYU relatives who were all but declaring national titles in Provo. I'll say this as well, Provo might be the toughest place to be a quarterback. The wide receiver could drop the perfect pass and the QB would get the blame. I only say this after I witnessed the 97 game in Provo as my cousin's berated the quarterback when the defense gave up like 40+.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    It just pains me when I see kids that are being guided through life with parents that are trying to live through them instead of parents that are trying to provide opportunities for the kids to be in positions for the best success possible. Some view this as the same thing ... they are so vastly different.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,648
    Heaps' parents should've paid kids to pick fights with him and make him tuff.

If you can't take the hits, stay off the grass!
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,371 Swaye's Wigwam
    I like the part where he sees the Utah defenders, and jumps away from the ball.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ogDT9_NrRE
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,743 Standard Supporter
    HFNY said:

Heaps' parents should've paid kids to pick fights with him and make him tuff.

If you can't take the hits, stay off the grass!

The mean streets of the plateau just scream 'toughness'.

Fuck. I hate youth sports.

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,648
    Magic Underwear!

Kid could never take a hit. Also he went to BYU where there is extreme pressure to go on a mission, and guys who don't are looked down on. The official term is Pre-Mi (short for Pre-Mission). I've got some BYU relatives who were all but declaring national titles in Provo. I'll say this as well, Provo might be the toughest place to be a quarterback. The wide receiver could drop the perfect pass and the QB would get the blame. I only say this after I witnessed the 97 game in Provo as my cousin's berated the quarterback when the defense gave up like 40+.

BYU fans are not living in the same reality as the rest of us (See "The Book of Mormon"; published 1830).

HTH.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,367 Founders Club
    HFNY said:

Magic Underwear!

BYU fans are not living in the same reality as the rest of us (See "The Book of Mormon"; published 1830).

HTH.

Celestial jumpsuit is the preferred nomenclature.