Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

One and dones like Jordan Spieth

2»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

d2d said:

If the one and dones had to stay for three years (like football) it would improve the overall talent much deeper than just the top tier teams. Kentucky wouldn't sign seven kids a year to replace the seven that left; they couldn't. Good players might have to actually play for a coach that might actually give a shit.

I don't play in a night league in SF.

A kid with great talent but poor fundamentals is going to develop them much quicker in the NBA where there are no limits to how much coaching they can get and how many hours they can have supervised practices, plus there are no other responsibilities to steal your time and focus like having to find a tutor to write your papers.

Disagree big time with this part because we've seen how many 18, 19, and 20 year old kids that are far from mature enough to manage the time, money, and responsibility that comes with being a NBA player at that age.

I do agree that the right player CAN develop quicker in the NBA than what he would at the college level.

However, I do think that there's value for a player in learning how to be the top player on his team, learn how to make others better, etc. at the college level as those skills will help in the professional game.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

d2d said:

If the one and dones had to stay for three years (like football) it would improve the overall talent much deeper than just the top tier teams. Kentucky wouldn't sign seven kids a year to replace the seven that left; they couldn't. Good players might have to actually play for a coach that might actually give a shit.

A kid with great talent but poor fundamentals is going to develop them much quicker in the NBA where there are no limits to how much coaching they can get and how many hours they can have supervised practices, plus there are no other responsibilities to steal your time and focus like having to find a tutor to write your papers.

Disagree big time with this part because we've seen how many 18, 19, and 20 year old kids that are far from mature enough to manage the time, money, and responsibility that comes with being a NBA player at that age.

I do agree that the right player CAN develop quicker in the NBA than what he would at the college level.

However, I do think that there's value for a player in learning how to be the top player on his team, learn how to make others better, etc. at the college level as those skills will help in the professional game.
    @dnc, you actually disagree with this? Each case is different.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

d2d said:

@dnc, you actually disagree with this? Each case is different.
    I disagree with him quoting my poast and saying "disagree big time with this part".

Yes, each player is different. Yes, college can be the best route for a kid. But generally speaking for a basketball player's development 82 games > 35 games, unlimited practice time > limited practice time, not having to worry about school > having to worry about school, etc.

• Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    If a guy does not have the mental or physical maturity to handle the NBA, his development will be retarded by playing in the NBA. Had 13 year old LeBron James been in the NBA, it would have been bad for his career.

The second a player has the mental maturity and physical skills to make a roster, his basketball development suffers every second he is not in the NBA. I remember after Dunleavy's rookie year when he said he developed more as a basketball player sitting on the Warriors' bench for a year than starring at Duke for 3. The skill level of the NBA is so far and away superior to any other bball league in the world, and as DNC said you will have unlimited practice time and coaching, and get to concentrate on your job.
  • Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment