Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pete vs. Sark OL Recruiting

HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
edited April 2015 in Hardcore Husky Board
Sark brought in 18 OL in his 5 years. Only 3 were 4* or higher. To be fair, the 2010 OL class was very good and would have turned out a lot better if Porter and Kohler were developed properly. I don't know if you blame Sark, Ivan or they were overrated or abundance.

Anyway, from 2011-2013, in those three classes Sark brought in 10 OL with the only guys anywhere close to 4* being Dane Crane and Shane Brostek. Crane was a decent get but he didn't even have an offer from Oregon or UCLA. Brostek had offers from Oregon and UCLA. But he was a legacy! He was going to UW no matter how much of a douche Sark was. Take away Brostek and Sark didn't get any OL that Oregon, UCLA, Stanford wanted.

So far Pete has secured 9 OL and 4 of them are 4* guys. 4/9, 3/18, do the math. Doog reply: Yeah but thats just the early boost all coaches get. 3 of Sark's first 8 guys were 4*. Pete has brought in more 4* OL in 16 months then Sark did in 5 years!

I've noticed that Pete's recruits are taller with potential to grow into some big fuckers. Sark brought in only one guy who was 6'6 or bigger. McGary, Roberts, Adams, Hilbers, Burleson and Sosebee are all 6'6 or taller. These guys were 6'6-6'7 and 260-280lbs as recruits. I think that is a much better start than say 6'5 300 or 6'4 300. Those guys in HS were bigger and fatter than everywhere else. The OL recruits we have now have much bigger wingspans and come in needing to put on only muscle and not having to lose fat.

Ultimately, I bet having a real strength program will make a bigger difference than bringing in higher rated guys. Put both together and it bodes very well. We'll have to watch this season for early indications. A guy like Brostek will be an initial indication for how OL development is going. If he has an all-league type season it will be strong evidence that Strausser and Soha really know what they are doing.

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,489 Standard Supporter
    You mean we didn't sign Nico Falah?
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    Good chit, Chesty.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

You poached this topic from dawgman buttsniffer. Try your own material you fucking hack.

• CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    Good poast ChestyLaRue.

One of the first things I've noticed about Pete's OL recruits is their height.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Great post Chest. I don't share the optimism on Brostek. I hope he can be a competent starter. Suggesting any all conference honors is a huge stretch at this point. He hasn't even had a good game yet in his career.
  • MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015

Great post Chest. I don't share the optimism on Brostek. I hope he can be a competent starter. Suggesting any all conference honors is a huge stretch at this point. He hasn't even had a good game yet in his career.

He's the strongest guy on the team. Unless Ken is right about that shit not mattering, then I don't see how he won't end up being a good player. He also has the right bloodlines.

It could be too much for me to think he will breakout right away. Maybe it won't be until the 2016 season. I have a hunch he will end up getting all-league recognition before his career is done.
    #Hope

Either way, it'll be interesting.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,716 Swaye's Wigwam
    Here are the names for anyone curious (with Scout's star rankings):

Sark: 3 ****, 9 ***, 6 **
    2009:
    Mafoe 3* (JC)

2010:
    Kohler 4*
    Porter 4*
    Hatchie 4*
    Riva 3*
    Tanigawa 2*
    Criste 2*
    Atoe 2*

2011:
    Tufunga 3*
    Charles 3*

2012:
    Eldrenkamp 3*
    Dean 3*
    Brostek 3*
    Fuavai 2*
    Hindy 2*

2013:
    Crane 3*
    Kirkland 3*
    Shelton 2*

Petersen: 4 ****, 2 ***, 3 **
    2014:
    McGary 4*
    James 3*
    Sosebee 2*
    Turner 2*
    Burleson 2*

2015:
    Roberts 4*
    Adams 4*
    Hibers 3*

2016 (ongoing):
    Wattenberg 4*
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Has Petermen signed a sure fire top 5 pick in the NFL Draft yet on the OL? Until he finds his #Atoe then I'm not interested.

And BTW, any success this line has is because Seven was smart enough to recruit them in the first place.
  • d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    edited April 2015
    The last HC to give a fuck about offensive lineman was Lambo. Pete knows you can't coach bones. The frame you're born with is it.

As you recall the rap on Zach Banner was that he was too tall, 6'9". Now Sark's got him.

Nice thread.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    Seven has had a pretty good week recruiting OL. So I'm sure KimFS will go to that default... as if it's relevant to anything.
  • SarkinghamSarkingham Member Posts: 287

2009:
    Mafoe 3* (JC) - Never qualified

2010:
    Kohler 4* - Injury retirement
    Porter 4* - Injury retirement
    Hatchie 4*
    Riva 3*
    Tanigawa 2*
    Criste 2*
    Atoe 2* - Future top-5 draft pick

2011:
    Tufunga 3*
    Charles 3*

2012:
    Eldrenkamp 3*
    Dean 3* - Left the team
    Brostek 3* - Stupidly used as a true FR
    Fuavai 2* - Has never seen the field
    Hindy 2* - Left the team

2013:
    Crane 3*
    Kirkland 3*
    Shelton 2*

2014:
    McGary 4*
    James 3*
    Sosebee 2*
    Turner 2*
    Burleson 2*

2015:
    Roberts 4*
    Adams 4*
    Hibers 3*

2016 (ongoing):
    Wattenberg 4*

Remember when it wasn't a big deal that Sark only took 2 guys at OL in 2011 because the 2012 class was going to be special? The class of 0 in 2009 was pretty awesome too.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club

With apologies to @Passion, the OL as a collective unit is the most important position on the field (QB is the single most important, of course).

Sark is a faggot piece of shit.

Tackles should be 6-5+, 290+
    Guards should be 6-4+, 300+
    Centers should be dirty.

Right now, we have 7 guys who have above average size for their position in the Pac-12: Adams, Burleson, Hilbers, McGary, Roberts, Sosebee, Charles. Notice a trend?

On our current roster, the average height of a Pete OL recruit is 6-6, a Sark OL recruit, 6-4.

What's worse is average height by position:

Sark T: 6-4
    Pete T: 6-7

Sark G/C: 6-4
    Pete G/C: 6-5

Just to make you realize how fucking awful Micah Hatchie was, this 'video' was made with a potato and copied on a Xerox machine 40 times for optimal quality, but it is meant to highlight both Shane Fortney's brief—but glorious—reign at QB for us and how a decent OL is supposed to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pLAetd8CI

If there was ever a "I Miss WASHINGTON dammit" video, this is it.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279

2009:
    Mafoe 3* (JC) - Never qualified

2010:
    Kohler 4* - Injury retirement
    Porter 4* - Injury retirement
    Hatchie 4*
    Riva 3*
    Tanigawa 2*
    Criste 2*
    Atoe 2* - Future top-5 draft pick

2011:
    Tufunga 3*
    Charles 3*

2012:
    Eldrenkamp 3*
    Dean 3* - Left the team
    Brostek 3* - Stupidly used as a true FR
    Fuavai 2* - Has never seen the field
    Hindy 2* - Left the team

2013:
    Crane 3*
    Kirkland 3*
    Shelton 2*

2014:
    McGary 4*
    James 3*
    Sosebee 2*
    Turner 2*
    Burleson 2*

2015:
    Roberts 4*
    Adams 4*
    Hibers 3*

2016 (ongoing):
    Wattenberg 4*

Remember when it wasn't a big deal that Sark only took 2 guys at OL in 2011 because the 2012 class was going to be special? The class of 0 in 2009 was pretty awesome too.
    I just read an article today on a Trojan TBS where the SC OL coach said they are standing pat with 2 OL commits this class, after they took 3 last year. Serious.

Time is a flat circle...