Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Any chance Romar steps down

2»

Comments

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

IF Romar is fired, Woodward better make a big time hire.

We better not end up with some assistant coach from a big name school looking for his first HC gig.

Or what? We might miss the ncaa tourney? People need to stop with the drama of "we need to hire X, or else". Nobody has a clue how a new guy will do. Tinkle, and LarryK are recent examples of guys nobody expected to turn the page that quickly, while the bum at USC and alford(okay i expected that one) have been more than lackluster.

Either way, you can't go further until you try something new. Romar has shown what his ability is here and it's time we give someone else the keys. Even if UW is a good job, we're not going to get some crazy ass hire. Basketball isn't like that at all. Hell, UCLA got alford of all people.
    Dude, you need to calm down, take a long walk on the beach to get some perspective, and then maybe re-read my post.

It's an obvious shot at Sark...aka the type of hire I don't want Pool Boy to make.

Trying "anything" or "something" else besides Romar isn't good enough. Obviously "anything" can happen, but that's the type of hope based decision making that gets you Sark. My only hesitation firing Romar is that Pool Boy has to hire his replacement. His track record does not instill confidence (kept Ty year 4, Sark). If he hadn't lucked into Petersen, we'd have Nuss. Pool Boy is a major dumb fuck.

My list of realistic candidates:

-Gregg Marshall
    -Fred Hoiberg
    -Archie Miller
    -Shaka Smart

UW is a more desirable job. Location and pay improvement. It's also a step up from mid-major to power conference coaching for all but Hoiberg.

First, Pool Boy wasn't the AD when the decision to retain Tyrone was made. That was Todd Turner. So get your facts right on that one.

Second, I believe that you can look at a few hires that Pool Boy has made and see that he might know a bit of what he's doing. The baseball program has gone from the sewer to being pretty damn good under Meggs (trust me, I saw them when they suck playing against my brother - I'd seen HS travel teams in Texas with far better talent). The women's basketball program is going to the Dance this year and is definitely on the right track (Pepsi can speak better to that than I can). So it's not like Pool Boy has completely shit the bed.

Third, Hoiberg isn't a realistic candidate. Neither is Shaka Smart. Not sure how much Gregg Marshall is either - but there may be an opening there because I believe his in-laws live up on Whidbey. Archie Miller is definitely worth talking to. There's also plenty of outside the box options as well whether it be guys that nobody has thought about because they have a CONTRACT elsewhere or guys coming from the pro ranks like Mac10.
    If were delving into sports no one cares about to grade pool boy, then he just lost the best women's volleyball coach in the country to Notre Dame.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

We better not end up with some assistant coach from a big name school looking for his first HC gig.

Or what? We might miss the ncaa tourney? People need to stop with the drama of "we need to hire X, or else". Nobody has a clue how a new guy will do. Tinkle, and LarryK are recent examples of guys nobody expected to turn the page that quickly, while the bum at USC and alford(okay i expected that one) have been more than lackluster.

Either way, you can't go further until you try something new. Romar has shown what his ability is here and it's time we give someone else the keys. Even if UW is a good job, we're not going to get some crazy ass hire. Basketball isn't like that at all. Hell, UCLA got alford of all people.
    Dude, you need to calm down, take a long walk on the beach to get some perspective, and then maybe re-read my post.

It's an obvious shot at Sark...aka the type of hire I don't want Pool Boy to make.

Trying "anything" or "something" else besides Romar isn't good enough. Obviously "anything" can happen, but that's the type of hope based decision making that gets you Sark. My only hesitation firing Romar is that Pool Boy has to hire his replacement. His track record does not instill confidence (kept Ty year 4, Sark). If he hadn't lucked into Petersen, we'd have Nuss. Pool Boy is a major dumb fuck.

-Gregg Marshall
    -Fred Hoiberg
    -Archie Miller
    -Shaka Smart

UW is a more desirable job. Location and pay improvement. It's also a step up from mid-major to power conference coaching for all but Hoiberg.

Well I wasn't directly ripping you, but the convo has been out there for so long on Dm.c that I'm quick to the trigger. You don't fire X, b/c you don't really have viable option Y. So my apologies.

Your response though does make me pause. Let's get serious about our options. 3 people on your list are pretty out there and not realistic bar to set for our AD. Smart isn't going to UW after turning down god knows how many places(including westwood). Fred Hoiberg is at his school and has them as a top 25 program right now. Why start over in a whole new area(which you noted). Greg marshall? Maybe based on his family ties but I still don't see him as some sort of crazy upgrade worth pumping money into.

Archie miller is a legit comment though. He has ties to want to beat his brother. Obviously UW is better than dayton, but you have to believe being a midwest/east guy, that eventually he's going back. However that's been the rub on his brother for a while and he's turned down big chances. He's also at zona.

Either way, miller would be a very interesting name to troll for.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

-Gregg Marshall
    -Fred Hoiberg
    -Archie Miller
    -Shaka Smart

Well I wasn't directly ripping you, but the convo has been out there for so long on Dm.c that I'm quick to the trigger. You don't fire X, b/c you don't really have viable option Y. So my apologies.

Your response though does make me pause. Let's get serious about our options. 3 people on your list are pretty out there and not realistic bar to set for our AD. Smart isn't going to UW after turning down god knows how many places(including westwood). Fred Hoiberg is at his school and has them as a top 25 program right now. Why start over in a whole new area(which you noted). Greg marshall? Maybe based on his family ties but I still don't see him as some sort of crazy upgrade worth pumping money into.

Archie miller is a legit comment though. He has ties to want to beat his brother. Obviously UW is better than dayton, but you have to believe being a midwest/east guy, that eventually he's going back. However that's been the rub on his brother for a while and he's turned down big chances. He's also at zona.

Either way, miller would be a very interesting name to troll for.
    I'll remove Hoiberg from the realistic category.

He's making $2 million/yr at his alma mater with a large buyout clause. He's set up already for a Romar style tenure.

Smart turned down a lot of schools, but so did Pete before he wanted a new challenge. You at least take the shot. He's only making $1.3 million/yr at VCU. Money talks a little bit.

I agree that Marshall and Miller are more realistic, Miller being the MOST realistic.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Marshall would be my #1 choice
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Interesting 2013 article on Gregg Marshall and what's keeping him in Wichita.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Good read, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    TTJ said:

Interesting 2013 article on Gregg Marshall and what's keeping him in Wichita.

Well fuck...
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2015
    The time to get Marshall is now. Van Vleet and Baker will be gone soon. Baker almost left for the NBA last year. I doubt he wants to rebuild again at Wichita State when he can do it somewhere else for two or three times the money.

I doubt he wants to come to UW though. He will have better opportunites at place where basketball is a bigger priority. The In-laws living in Washington could be a good thing. Maybe his wife would nag him about being closer to them. It could also not mean anything at all. They are in-laws.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Pool boy also let Tyroan coach out the season which was a gutless decision.
  • Options

Was there an assistant coach on that team that you'd have turned the keys over to at that point? I seem to recall that staff was a dreckfest.
  • Options
    If the decision was made to have Tyrone coach that year given the shit that went down for him to coach that year, then IMO you have no problem making him spend every waking moment having to suffer with that decision.

Yes, it's easy to say that about the players and no doubt that they quit by about halfway through the season once Locker went down and everybody realized that Fouch sucked. If the players didn't care enough on their own to continue to do their best, then that speaks volumes as well.

There's nothing about 2008 that really bothers me one way or another at this point ... it was what it was once Tyrone was retained.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Was there an assistant coach on that team that you'd have turned the keys over to at that point? I seem to recall that staff was a dreckfest.
    AIt wasn't about who would take over the team, it was that Ty had burned shit to the ground and was still allowed to lead. An AD with any sack would have freed the players from Ty's rule if nothing else.

owen12 never happens if Ty was actually sent packing, I'm convinced of that. Not that one11 is significantly better, but UW would have beat WSU with nobody coaching. They just fucking hated Ty's guts.

Pool Boy really did deserve owen12.
    can not awesome this post enough
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Michael White.

The Bulldogs no longer have Karl Malone to skew our view of their program.
  • Options

Michael White.

The Bulldogs no longer have Karl Malone to skew our view of their program.

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/michael_white_750046.html

Pros: Michael White's pressuring man-to-man defense and fast-paced, dribble drive offense continues to rack up wins and shatter program records for the Louisiana Tech men's basketball team as he enters his fourth season as head coach.

ESPN's Jay Bilas and Jeff Goodman recently named White as the No. 1 up-and-coming head coach in college basketball, and rightfully so.

White has re-energized the program and the fan base both locally and nationally with multiple conference championships and postseason appearances which played a huge part in him agreeing to a new six-year, $3.6 million contract extension on April 3.

Cons: Born in Dunedin, Florida, White lived all over the country before his family settled down in New Orleans where he played high school basketball at Jesuit High School. He signed with Ole Miss where he was a four-year starter at point guard for the Rebels in the late 1990s.

He is married to the former Kira Zschau, an all-SEC volleyball player at Ole Miss, who also has a law degree from the university. The couple has two daughters, Rylee and Maggie, twin boys, Collin and Keegan, and a son, Dillon.

So we can give him a huge pay bump. But his family has settled down in the South. And has roots in the South.

I'll add him to my official list.

-Michael White
    -Gregg Marshall
    -Fred Hoiberg
    -Archie Miller
    -Shaka Smart
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,869
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He is married to the former Kira Zschau, an all-SEC volleyball player at Ole Miss, who also has a law degree from the university. The couple has two daughters, Rylee and Maggie, twin boys, Collin and Keegan, and a son, Dillon.

Prolific shooter.

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

-Gregg Marshall
    -Fred Hoiberg
    -Archie Miller
    -Shaka Smart

Hoiberg might be a stretch. He played for ISU in the 90s and seems like a guy committed to his alma mater. There's no harm in trying though.