Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Any chance Romar steps down

He could preserve his legacy by admitting/ pretending that his heart's not in it anymore. Make an announcement that he will help pick out his successor and transition his players and recruits to the new coach. They might even name something at the arena after him or make him a statue.

Otherwise he gets fired and is Ernie Kent/Ben Howland/any other coach who had moderate success but was run out of town.

If I was Woodward I'd start putting this bug in his ear.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Now more than ever before

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Who do you go after if you're UW? As an Oregon fan, the one guy who scares the shit out of me if UW hires him (meaning he's the guy you should get and I can't believe USC blew him off) is Randy Bennett at St Marys.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tony Bennett, Few, and some of the coaches at hawt mid majors. I really have stopped following college bball since it's horrible so I don't know. Earn your salary Woodward.
  • Options

Tony Bennett, Few, and some of the coaches at hawt mid majors. I really have stopped following college bball since it's horrible so I don't know. Earn your salary Woodward.

fuck that
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    ntxduck said:

Who do you go after if you're UW? As an Oregon fan, the one guy who scares the shit out of me if UW hires him (meaning he's the guy you should get and I can't believe USC blew him off) is Randy Bennett at St Marys.

Don't worry. UW will never go after Randy Bennett. Too many recent "scandals" for the pussy town that is Seattle. Bennett cares more about winning than being a nice guy.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Few ain't coming to UW.

He's the classic pussy that loves being the big fish in a small pond.

It allows him to bump weenies with dipshits like Seth Davis and Andy Katz.

There is only one condition where I could see Few taking a major conference job and that's if Gonzaga wins out this year and gets bounced early again in the tournament as a 1 seed. Few might finally realize that if he wants to coach in Final Fours it will have to be somewhere that doesn't play a WCC schedule.

Another point is that the possibility of walking into the recruiting class UW has coming in (assuming the next coach can keep them in the boat) could be a pretty good bargaining chip to bring in a decent coach.
  • Options

Few ain't coming to UW.

He's the classic pussy that loves being the big fish in a small pond.

It allows him to bump weenies with dipshits like Seth Davis and Andy Katz.

There is only one condition where I could see Few taking a major conference job and that's if Gonzaga wins out this year and gets bounced early again in the tournament as a 1 seed. Few might finally realize that if he wants to coach in Final Fours it will have to be somewhere that doesn't play a WCC schedule.

Another point is that the possibility of walking into the recruiting class UW has coming in (assuming the next coach can keep them in the boat) could be a pretty good bargaining chip to bring in a decent coach.
    This is a good poont
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    If you all think Romar doesn't like Few, some of the boosters would likely light few on fire before actually ponying up money to bring him to UW. There is no chance in hell Few is coaching UW. Nor should any of us want Few.

I don't think any of us should really waste our time trying to figure out who to hire. I don't think anyone really knows how sought after a UW job will be post romar. I see a lot of potential in the program, there is money, and good support when the program isn't dead.

The recruits in the seattle area should attract someone decent to UW. The question is whether woody goes after an established guy or an up and coming coach.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

You people act like UW isn't a top notch job. If you get max resources to recruit, tons of local talent and around 2 million a year at a place lacking traditional power expectations, you want that job.

You fire Romar, UW immediately becomes the most sought after position on the west. Just because the results on the floor haven't shown it, everything is in place to be successful at UW.

Totally agree with the formula, just wondering who actually out there would bite. Not a ton of West coast low end D1 guys to be excited about. so then are you looking at who else? 1st assistants?
    I really am kinda trolling for some names b/c I don't know what would be realistic.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Doogles said:

You people act like UW isn't a top notch job. If you get max resources to recruit, tons of local talent and around 2 million a year at a place lacking traditional power expectations, you want that job.

You fire Romar, UW immediately becomes the most sought after position on the west. Just because the results on the floor haven't shown it, everything is in place to be successful at UW.

I've been told by @MikeDamone (RIP) that this is as good as UW basketball will ever be.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2015

Doogles said:

Totally agree with the formula, just wondering who actually out there would bite. Not a ton of West coast low end D1 guys to be excited about. so then are you looking at who else? 1st assistants?
    I really am kinda trolling for some names b/c I don't know what would be realistic.
    It's a stretch, but i've mentioned Brian Katz from Sac st before. He has them winning for the first time in PROGRAM history and that school has complete shit for resources. Literally can't hold the Big Sky tournament if they get first place because the Gym is smaller than some high schools.

The more important thing on Katz is he is from Howland's coaching tree, who has had Pac success.

Also Colorado made an obscure hire from Howland's tree in a guy named Tad Boyle. It's working out for them nicely at just 600k a year. He's a great coach. A winner is a winner and he is going to get poached eventually because NOBODY wins at Sac State and he is doing it.

Edit: UW could definitely get someone higher profile, i'm just throwing out names that haven't been thought about. I really think if Tad Boyle can turn Colorado around Katz has a good chance here.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I've heard that none of you know how bad our programs infrastructure is per Butler Cabin
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    IF Romar is fired, Woodward better make a big time hire.

We better not end up with some assistant coach from a big name school looking for his first HC gig.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    Standard Supporter

We better not end up with some assistant coach from a big name school looking for his first HC gig.

...or whoever is currently coaching the 4th/5th place team in the WCC that is traditionally in 7th/8th place
  • Options

Or what? We might miss the ncaa tourney? People need to stop with the drama of "we need to hire X, or else". Nobody has a clue how a new guy will do. Tinkle, and LarryK are recent examples of guys nobody expected to turn the page that quickly, while the bum at USC and alford(okay i expected that one) have been more than lackluster.

Either way, you can't go further until you try something new. Romar has shown what his ability is here and it's time we give someone else the keys. Even if UW is a good job, we're not going to get some crazy ass hire. Basketball isn't like that at all. Hell, UCLA got alford of all people.
  • Options

Or what? We might miss the ncaa tourney? People need to stop with the drama of "we need to hire X, or else". Nobody has a clue how a new guy will do. Tinkle, and LarryK are recent examples of guys nobody expected to turn the page that quickly, while the bum at USC and alford(okay i expected that one) have been more than lackluster.

Either way, you can't go further until you try something new. Romar has shown what his ability is here and it's time we give someone else the keys. Even if UW is a good job, we're not going to get some crazy ass hire. Basketball isn't like that at all. Hell, UCLA got alford of all people.
    Dude, you need to calm down, take a long walk on the beach to get some perspective, and then maybe re-read my post.

It's an obvious shot at Sark...aka the type of hire I don't want Pool Boy to make.

Trying "anything" or "something" else besides Romar isn't good enough. Obviously "anything" can happen, but that's the type of hope based decision making that gets you Sark. My only hesitation firing Romar is that Pool Boy has to hire his replacement. His track record does not instill confidence (kept Ty year 4, Sark). If he hadn't lucked into Petersen, we'd have Nuss. Pool Boy is a major dumb fuck.

My list of realistic candidates:

-Gregg Marshall
    -Fred Hoiberg
    -Archie Miller
    -Shaka Smart

UW is a more desirable job. Location and pay improvement. It's also a step up from mid-major to power conference coaching for all but Hoiberg.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Dude, you need to calm down, take a long walk on the beach to get some perspective, and then maybe re-read my post.

It's an obvious shot at Sark...aka the type of hire I don't want Pool Boy to make.

Trying "anything" or "something" else besides Romar isn't good enough. Obviously "anything" can happen, but that's the type of hope based decision making that gets you Sark. My only hesitation firing Romar is that Pool Boy has to hire his replacement. His track record does not instill confidence (kept Ty year 4, Sark). If he hadn't lucked into Petersen, we'd have Nuss. Pool Boy is a major dumb fuck.

-Gregg Marshall
    -Fred Hoiberg
    -Archie Miller
    -Shaka Smart

UW is a more desirable job. Location and pay improvement. It's also a step up from mid-major to power conference coaching for all but Hoiberg.

First, Pool Boy wasn't the AD when the decision to retain Tyrone was made. That was Todd Turner. So get your facts right on that one.

Second, I believe that you can look at a few hires that Pool Boy has made and see that he might know a bit of what he's doing. The baseball program has gone from the sewer to being pretty damn good under Meggs (trust me, I saw them when they suck playing against my brother - I'd seen HS travel teams in Texas with far better talent). The women's basketball program is going to the Dance this year and is definitely on the right track (Pepsi can speak better to that than I can). So it's not like Pool Boy has completely shit the bed.

Third, Hoiberg isn't a realistic candidate. Neither is Shaka Smart. Not sure how much Gregg Marshall is either - but there may be an opening there because I believe his in-laws live up on Whidbey. Archie Miller is definitely worth talking to. There's also plenty of outside the box options as well whether it be guys that nobody has thought about because they have a CONTRACT elsewhere or guys coming from the pro ranks like Mac10.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

-Gregg Marshall
    -Fred Hoiberg
    -Archie Miller
    -Shaka Smart

First, Pool Boy wasn't the AD when the decision to retain Tyrone was made. That was Todd Turner. So get your facts right on that one.

Second, I believe that you can look at a few hires that Pool Boy has made and see that he might know a bit of what he's doing. The baseball program has gone from the sewer to being pretty damn good under Meggs (trust me, I saw them when they suck playing against my brother - I'd seen HS travel teams in Texas with far better talent). The women's basketball program is going to the Dance this year and is definitely on the right track (Pepsi can speak better to that than I can). So it's not like Pool Boy has completely shit the bed.

Third, Hoiberg isn't a realistic candidate. Neither is Shaka Smart. Not sure how much Gregg Marshall is either - but there may be an opening there because I believe his in-laws live up on Whidbey. Archie Miller is definitely worth talking to. There's also plenty of outside the box options as well whether it be guys that nobody has thought about because they have a CONTRACT elsewhere or guys coming from the pro ranks like Mac10.
    He was still Emmert's Pool boy before he was the AD. HTH.

I'll admit Hoiberg is unlikely, since he is coaching his alma mater.

Put you make the call and offer a real contract anyway.

And NOGAF about the HC of the women's basketball team or the baseball team. Pool Boy's tenure as AD has been an abortion for the only two revenue sports.