Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Griswold is also incredibly stupid re: basketball

2»

Comments

• section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam

I wonder how Griswold would explain the Seattle Mariners phenomenon. Here's a team where all they do is marketing. They personally cater to the game attendee who does not care about the outcome of the game, and their attendance is abysmal.

I guarantee that if someone started a thread a week from now on dawgman questioning why people don't attend mariners games, Kent would say something like "who wants to go watch bad baseball? Until they fix the team, no one will want to waste their day going."

I heard a Mariner radio spot the other day, where some actor is pretending to be a business owner who bought four season tickets and then took a client to the game and got more business (or something like that). He was like, "Shazam! The tickets already paid for themselves."

I found it off-putting in the sense that this is not what going to a ballgame on a summer evening is supposed to represent.
    Closing a sale with Mariners tickets? That client is a pushover. I know people that forced sales reps to buy Seahawks tickets.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Fetters can be a huge Romar apologist too. I remember finally going off on him 3-4 years ago when he kept trotting out lame excuses. With Fetters it's more disingenuous bullshit to keep up access as he's smart enough to know better.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

the marketing department organized the blackout vs Arizona. All that work, all the fans who worked to show up were blessed with a god awful performance than just showed the difference in the top of the pac12 and the base.

If anything, kem should be blaming the basketball team and the architect for laying an egg when they had a chance to get more butts in the seats by being even slightly competitive or entertaining.

I was surprised how much noise they made when the team was down double digits to AZ. Something was fishy.
    They got excited when someone hit a 3 to cut the lead to 15. That is how bad the game was from the get go.

It's like losing 1k in black jack within the first hour and then feeling alive when you win a ten dollar hand. You've already lost, you're just trying to get excited about something.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I wonder how Griswold would explain the Seattle Mariners phenomenon. Here's a team where all they do is marketing. They personally cater to the game attendee who does not care about the outcome of the game, and their attendance is abysmal.

I guarantee that if someone started a thread a week from now on dawgman questioning why people don't attend mariners games, Kent would say something like "who wants to go watch bad baseball? Until they fix the team, no one will want to waste their day going."

And if you look to the back end of last year with a team that was winning, shockingly, attendance picked up.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

I heard a Mariner radio spot the other day, where some actor is pretending to be a business owner who bought four season tickets and then took a client to the game and got more business (or something like that). He was like, "Shazam! The tickets already paid for themselves."

I found it off-putting in the sense that this is not what going to a ballgame on a summer evening is supposed to represent.
    Was Krazy Larry the business owner?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Fetters can be a huge Romar apologist too. I remember finally going off on him 3-4 years ago when he kept trotting out lame excuses. With Fetters it's more disingenuous bullshit to keep up access as he's smart enough to know better.

i lol'ed

• SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I lol'ed
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited February 2015

Kent has some ideas. First he would like there to be an application process for getting into the Dawgpack. Only fans who demonstrate on their application how WILD AND CRAZY they are will get to sit in the coveted Dawgpack section. Second, he would like them to dim the lights when the team enters the court. Third, he would like the BBQ to be brought back.

He finished his business plan by reiterating that saying the product is bad is just lame and lazy. After all, "we didn't close down dawgman when Tyrone was here" (real quote)

All I can say is, "how do I hire this guy as a consultant to manage my business?"

He did close the fucking gates though.

#Purge2000something
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,222
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2015
    How do you illustrate wild and crazy on a paper application? Here's an idea kent, if the games are fun to attend, PEOPLE WILL SHOW UP. When the games suck, your team is losing, and even worse the team is dreck to watch, people don't. The team regularly shoots in the 30% range for FG's.

Scoring in all forms of life is what drives interest and participation. Only those who have spent the better part of a half century without pussy wouldn't understand the correlation.
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Great Purge of 2010... You youngsters and newcomers go listen to the episode from 5-19-2010 called "Banned in the UK"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-husky-half-brains/id266416196?mt=2

This really ought to be required listening for our valued members.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The Great Purge of 2010... You youngsters and newcomers go listen to the episode from 5-19-2010 called "Banned in the UK"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-husky-half-brains/id266416196?mt=2

Did I get a shout out?
  • RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I shake my head every time I hear that radio spot..

I'm hearing a good way to get people to go to games is by winning more often than you lose, being in contention for post season.. things like dat.

I could be incorrect though, it sounds too simple to actually work
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

Kent has some ideas. First he would like there to be an application process for getting into the Dawgpack. Only fans who demonstrate on their application how WILD AND CRAZY they are will get to sit in the coveted Dawgpack section. Second, he would like them to dim the lights when the team enters the court. Third, he would like the BBQ to be brought back.

He finished his business plan by reiterating that saying the product is bad is just lame and lazy. After all, "we didn't close down dawgman when Tyrone was here" (real quote)

All I can say is, "how do I hire this guy as a consultant to manage my business?"

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and predict you could get him, and probably for a price...