Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Comparing NFL and high school 40-yard dash times: A horrifying revelation

Comments

• Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Excellent article.

Just another reason to give zero credence to Teen Boy Stalking websites like Dawgman.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2015
    You mean like Trufant?

;)
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Can someone recalculate the results after removing the linemen? Then you might have something worthwhile.
  • Options
    devildawgdevildawg Member Posts: 67
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I've personally timed entire high schools teams in spring/fall camp...all hand held times

Your lucky if you have a single kid that breaks 4.5 last year our starting RB was 4.65 and the fastest kid on the team,on Friday nights he was always one of the fastest players on the field

I've never timed one of these 4.3 kids my self...you can watch these kids as soon as they hear 4.89 they walk over and whisper to their buddy's I got 4.6 and so it begins
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,442
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Hand time versus electronic time?

Once a runner starts going, it takes a second for the timer to register and hit the button, especially if they're 40 yards away from the starting line.

That and these camps might have 2 or 3 guys timing kids, and they take the best one.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Is this the greatest article to ever appear on SBNation?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The article is a stuttering stanley of information. I get it. Hand timed high school kids appear faster than they are. Hardly groundbreaking news here.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A lot of those kids never had a seriously timed 40 in high school. The ones who report 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, etc, with nothing in the hundredths place, are just estimated. Either they just said "about 4.5" or the scout service filled it in that way. Those shouldn't have been used as data points. An OL prospect with a 5 second 40 in his profile shouldn't be used as a data point when he runs a 5.26 at the combine. Obviously he never gave a fuck about his 40 time and just told Fetters (or whoever filled out his profile) "5 seconds".

Just a thought I had. It doesn't refute the article. Then again that is kind of a "water is wet" article anyways.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    In other breaking news...

Blacks are faster than whites. And jump higher.

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Blatant racism is not condoned around here. The next thing you know you're going to go way over the top and suggest Cfett needs Jenny Craig.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Blatant racism is not condoned around here. The next thing you know you're going to go way over the top and suggest Cfett needs Jenny Craig to jump off the Aurora bridge.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Blatant racism is not condoned around here. The next thing you know you're going to go way over the top and suggest Cfett needs Jenny Craig to jump off the Aurora bridge.
    He should probably just jump off the I-5 ship canal bridge, he wouldn't be able to get over the railing on the 99.

Or he could just light himself on fire.
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    two way more important attributes/questions of athletes than 40 times, well documented by renowned experts in the field:

1) how are their hips?
    2) bathroom or fridge?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Excellent article.

Just another reason to give zero credence to Teen Boy Stalking websites like Dawgman.

I agree, but I don't blame the dawgman like sites for the exaggerated times. It's what the kids do, thinking it will help them. They add a couple inches, add 10-20 pounds, and take .2-.4 off of their 40 times. Scout and Rivals just list what the kid or their high school coach tells them.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    edited February 2015

Blatant racism is not condoned around here. The next thing you know you're going to go way over the top and suggest Cfett needs Jenny Craig.
    I SAID NO FATTY CRAP!

• Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Excellent article.

I agree, but I don't blame the dawgman like sites for the exaggerated times. It's what the kids do, thinking it will help them. They add a couple inches, add 10-20 pounds, and take .2-.4 off of their 40 times. Scout and Rivals just list what the kid or their high school coach tells them.
    This would've sufficed.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    In this thread: water is wet.
  • Options
    CMBTvet05CMBTvet05 Member Posts: 8
    5 Up Votes Photogenic Testing 1 First Comment
    edited February 2015
    I can actually understand how guys on the OL get slower from high school to NFL. When you put on 40+ pounds its not hard to believe that comes at a price
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    CMBTvet05 said:

I can actually understand how guys on the OL get slower from high school to NFL. When you put on 40+ pounds its not hard to believe that comes at a price

News Flash, turbo. The HS 40 times are BS. Not a big fan of ripping new poasters, but when it's this FS, I can't help myself.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    HuskyInAZ said:

CMBTvet05 said:

News Flash, turbo. The HS 40 times are BS. Not a big fan of ripping new poasters, but when it's this FS, I can't help myself.
    The HS times are BS AND lineman who put on 40 pounds lose a little speed.

'Bundance.