Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vernon Adams to Oregon?

13»

Comments

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,131
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    The kyler murray dream apparently died last night for oregon and texas at the hands of Kevin Sumlin
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    The dream never really was. Murray's dad was a QB at aggy and while I think he might have considered Oregon more if we were closer to home, we aren't.

Also, kind of a bone of contention for me is that Helfrich really like to fling the ball around more than Kelly did. I like the spread-option with the running game as the primary weapon rather than a pass-oriented spread. Helfrich as an ex-QB and QBs coach is much more interested in the passing game. Oregon passed a lot more with Mariota and will almost certainly continue that trend if Adams comes to Eugene.

I'm still giving Helfrich the benefit of the doubt because of the strong finish to the 2014 season. Oregon also had two talented guys transfer out when Mariota decided to come back for his senior year. If Bryan Bennett had been willing to spend an extra year in the program and go to five years of eligibility, he would be the QB next fall, using his fifth year of eligibility. Then we wouldn't need a Vernon Adams to fill the gap.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Size has very little to do with a QB getting injured. Adams is probably more compact than Mariota anyways, so I'm not sure that is a good point. Adams could get hurt, or he won't. It's football. Either way it will be interesting.

The only thing is that Adams has an actual disease that leads to severe body cramping, so it's not really all about his size. But I get your poont none the less.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2015
    AZDuck said:

The dream never really was. Murray's dad was a QB at aggy and while I think he might have considered Oregon more if we were closer to home, we aren't.

Also, kind of a bone of contention for me is that Helfrich really like to fling the ball around more than Kelly did. I like the spread-option with the running game as the primary weapon rather than a pass-oriented spread. Helfrich as an ex-QB and QBs coach is much more interested in the passing game. Oregon passed a lot more with Mariota and will almost certainly continue that trend if Adams comes to Eugene.

I'm still giving Helfrich the benefit of the doubt because of the strong finish to the 2014 season. Oregon also had two talented guys transfer out when Mariota decided to come back for his senior year. If Bryan Bennett had been willing to spend an extra year in the program and go to five years of eligibility, he would be the QB next fall, using his fifth year of eligibility. Then we wouldn't need a Vernon Adams to fill the gap.

Not only was he a QB at A&M, he was a legendary QB at A&M. Up until Manziel he was probably the best QB in school history.

It would be akin to Dan Fouts having a 5star QB son committ to the Ducks for over a year and then leave them in the lurch 5 days before NSD. Never was gonna happen, even if Oregon was located in Texas. Quook.
  • Options

AZDuck said:

Not only was he a QB at A&M, he was a legendary QB at A&M. Up until Manziel he was probably the best QB in school history.

It would be akin to Dan Fouts having a 5star QB son committ to the Ducks for over a year and then leave them in the lurch 5 days before NSD. Never was gonna happen, even if Oregon was located in Texas. Quook.
    You really are the king of butthurt.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    brchco12 said:

The kyler murray dream apparently died last night for oregon and texas at the hands of Kevin Sumlin Black Sark

• Options
    Doogles said:

brchco12 said:

The kyler murray dream apparently died last night for oregon and texas at the hands of Kevin Sumlin Black Sark

Perfectest description of Sumlin I have ever seen
  • Options
    JaveJave Member Posts: 43
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Testing 1
    Yea, real loss there on the 5'11" quarterback who looked great in high school. Next man up.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    You take Vernon Adams for one year even if Mariota comes back. That one year ride was going to go to a walk-on that would never do anything on the field besides score a late TD on UW. You've got an absolutely proven QB that wants to come for one season. In no way does it make any sense to turn that opportunity down no matter your offensive style of depth.

Lets say Mahalak is a stud, he just kills is for the first six weeks and breaks his ankle. Guess what? You've got Vernon Adams to go in. Outside of Ohio State you've got the best backup QB in the country.

Zero programs say no to Adams. He could have went anywhere.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015
    Mosster47 said:

You take Vernon Adams for one year even if Mariota comes back.That one year ride was going to go to a walk-on that would never do anything on the field besides score a late TD on UW. You've got an absolutely proven QB that wants to come for one season. In no way does it make any sense to turn that opportunity down no matter your offensive style of depth.

Lets say Mahalak is a stud, he just kills is for the first six weeks and breaks his ankle. Guess what? You've got Vernon Adams to go in. Outside of Ohio State you've got the best backup QB in the country.

It's still Friday for the next 2 minutes.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Mosster47 said:

You take Vernon Adams for one year even if Mariota comes back. That one year ride was going to go to a walk-on that would never do anything on the field besides score a late TD on UW. You've got an absolutely proven QB that wants to come for one season. In no way does it make any sense to turn that opportunity down no matter your offensive style of depth.

Naieve and narrow thinking there.

Vernon Adams has a say in this as well. He doesn't take the transfer just to sit on the bench. If he is going there, it's because he got assurances he would likely win the job and start. He would go someplace else otherwise, or he would stay put and play out his last year.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HFNY said:

If Chip Kelly was still at Oregon, this attempt would get the benefit of the doubt. But he's not and makes one wonder how bad Lockie and Mahalak are.

As for your panties, why are they so in bunch simply because people are questioning if Helfrich is getting desperate? OTOH and looking at it from another angle, maybe Helfrich wants to ride Adams as long as he can and then if he gets injured, only then does he have to turn to Lockie or Mahalak.

Personally and as someone else said, I think he'd be a better fit in an Air Raid type offense since he'd probably last longer.

my simple mind is telling me the #2 team in the country wants Vernon Adams to come lead their team next season and they think he's perfect for what they like to run.

I think it may also be time for you to change your tampon.

My Lord. Aubs is blushing at this brilliant unbiased analysis you bring to this thread.

It's always great to see the true Doogs get that waft of breeze back in their sails after an Oregon loss. Adams is no Mariota. But He's damn good as you all know. And Chiip Kelly's not coming back