Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

ASU

Comments

• Options
    Sundevil76Sundevil76 Member Posts: 109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Comment

I don't really get the sleeping giant stuff with ASU.

I guess some of that talk has to do with Phoenix becoming a TBS hot spot, but I don't see sleeping giant either. It's a terrible school in the middle of the desert. Home grown stars flee out of there at a high rate. UWs recruiting success under Dom James, per Mincys post here, was lock down in-state and carefully select SoCal guys that SC/UCLA ignored. I don't see ASU locking down in-state anytime soon. I think UW is more ideally suited to execute that, homegrown players are more prone to staying in state and CP obviously has his OKG system that worked at a high level in Boise.

ASU is a very well coached team, probably the best coached/schemed team in the league right now. But I don't see them ever having top 3 or 4 talent.They take a lot of risks defensively with how much they blitz, and I think teams have started to figure that out. And they have benefitted, and will continue to benefit, from not playing both Oregon/Stanford in the same year the past 3 seasons.

I guess some of that talk has to do with Phoenix becoming a TBS hot spot, but I don't see sleeping giant either. It's a terrible school in the middle of the desert. Home grown stars flee out of there at a high rate. UWs recruiting success under Dom James, per Mincys post here, was lock down in-state and carefully select SoCal guys that SC/UCLA ignored. I don't see ASU locking down in-state anytime soon. I think UW is more ideally suited to execute that, homegrown players are more prone to staying in state and CP obviously has his OKG system that worked at a high level in Boise.

ASU is a very well coached team, probably the best coached/schemed team in the league right now. But I don't see them ever having top 3 or 4 talent.They take a lot of risks defensively with how much they blitz, and I think teams have started to figure that out. And they have benefitted, and will continue to benefit, from not playing both Oregon/Stanford in the same year the past 3 seasons.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ASU should be good for the very same reasons a team in the Seattle Met should.Don't call Phoenix an armpit in the desert and I will not abuse the constantly rainly, overcast feeling of gloom sterotype of your city. They are great places to live when compared with say Lincoln Nebraska or boring Corvalis. The weather is primo in the Valley of the Sun this time of the year. Cold for us is the present 60's and we can't get your NW silver heads to flap their snowbird wings and go home till May.Wrong on the talent prediction, Graham is killing at recruiting right now and will do better than #17 on Scout last year. From the 30's to on the doorstep of the mid teens in three years. Petersen should be so good in short a time, since like Graham he can do more with less. ASU is in on 7 five or four stars players on the seven spost left. Three four star rated players last week alone. Seven could get the kids but imploded against even Ericson. He is not job hoping either, since he just gave $500,000 to the new $350,000,000 stadium district fund. We have a new AD in Anderson that gets it, unlike the dumpster fire in Salt Lake City. Washington will be a player soon to, since you are the "sleeping gaint" of the NorthWest. You have the upgraded stadium, the quality coach, and it is time to reach your destiney. You might even beat ASU in 2016, but not next year most likely. As for the snide comments about our fans, just look at the Stanford ass hats. Its easy to get excited about the Ducks since there is nothing else sports wise in the entire state. Looking forward to their post-Chip / Mariotta era. They come to Tempe in 2015.
  • Options
    AlbertEinsteinAlbertEinstein Member Posts: 4
    Testing 1 blah 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I guess it is when you are trying to argue 2 is easier than 4.

So you're saying the Pac 6 of the Pac 12 is better than the Big 10 of the Big 12?
    I'm saying that link doesnt support that the big12 is better than the pac12. Because 1) Stats are for losers. And 2) Half of the conference in his link is two spots better than the big12, and the other half is two spots worse.

But he says math is hard, so maybe he really means it? I'm honestly not sure.

That was my attempt at math humor

There is nothing funny about math I guess
    Take it from me -- there isn't.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Graham is recruiting really well, you should be pleased about that.

The South is going to be very tough with USC, UCLA, ASU, AZ duking it out and I think Colorado will grow more competitive.

Oregon is going to be very good for a few more years before the Kelly effect wears off completely. UW's advantage is the North will be weaker than the South and Petersen will be gaining momentum at the same time as Helfrich trails off.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Puppy has never made a stupid post, and id agree if I ever did

Sounds like PLSS has multiple personalities and they're both pretty fucking stupid.

Why do you hate his brother?
    I don't hate him or his brother but that doesn't mean I can't call them fucking idiots.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

You should PM @IrishDawg22‌. He's got this place dialed in or something.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Graham is recruiting well, but not as well as the two LA schools or Oregon over the past 3 years. Even Stanfors over the past 3 years has recruited better.

Nearly all of the top Arizona players haven't been staying in state: Hundley, Devon Allen, Christian Kirk, Kyle Allen, Priest Willis, Kenny Lacy, all 3 of the Peat brothers, Casey Tucker the list goes on and on.
  • Options
    TTJ said:

topdawgnc said:

If you look at some of those ASU teams from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s, there were some real powerhouses. That probably has something to do with the idea that it can be that way again.
    Washington had some real powerhouses too.

I wonder if that has something to do with expectations around here.
    I have long been a proponent of the sleeping giant theory with ASU. Like Washington, ASU has some major institutional advantages.

Of course, the whole idea of being a sleeping giant is that the fact you're asleep tends to eclipse every single one of Aubbie's iron laws. None of that shit matters when your entire program -- from administrators through coaches, players, and fans -- are napping.

For more on ASU's fugue state, here is a photo I took during late Q1 of UW's visit to Tempe in 2013 (the "the cancer won" game). This was a late season clash played in perfect weather between two teams with a lot left to play for. And yet somehow the (also dormant) visitors brought more fans to the game than ASU did.

I suspect Graham is going to have to post a lot more winning seasons before folks wake up down there.
    TTJ said:

topdawgnc said:

If you look at some of those ASU teams from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s, there were some real powerhouses. That probably has something to do with the idea that it can be that way again.
    Washington had some real powerhouses too.

I wonder if that has something to do with expectations around here.
    I have long been a proponent of the sleeping giant theory with ASU. Like Washington, ASU has some major institutional advantages.

Of course, the whole idea of being a sleeping giant is that the fact you're asleep tends to eclipse every single one of Aubbie's iron laws. None of that shit matters when your entire program -- from administrators through coaches, players, and fans -- are napping.

For more on ASU's fugue state, here is a photo I took during late Q1 of UW's visit to Tempe in 2013 (the "the cancer won" game). This was a late season clash played in perfect weather between two teams with a lot left to play for. And yet somehow the (also dormant) visitors brought more fans to the game than ASU did.

I suspect Graham is going to have to post a lot more winning seasons before folks wake up down there.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    As for going to the last game in Tempe and seeing more Husky fans, the reason is obvious if you have half a brain. Pretty much 50% of the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada lives part of the year in Phoenix playing golf over the age of 60. They clog our highways and cause accidents, talking about how wonderful Tacoma or Seattle is but then why are they here playing golf in shorts soaking in the sun? I saw one old duffer just last week wearing a Washinton Rose Bowl sweat shirt from decades past.Doubt many local people from Arizona wanted to attend the game this year with 60 mph winds and rain. Great city but not a destination for most during football season.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    All of you act like winning does not change the local perception with recruits anywhere? Koetter was such a turd to the local HS coaches that it takes time to change minds. Ericson was a complete loser in recruiting elite local programs like Chandler-Hamilton saying he could do better with the abundance of players in California. Kirk wanted to leave the state and only changed his mind recently due to Graham and three seasons of 8-10-10. When was the last time recruits like Gusitn, Irwin, Holiday, Masina, or Wicker would have the Devils in their final cut? ASU has a five star JC already. In state we have two of three best O-lineman. Bryce Perkins ( Paul Perkins brother at UCLA) is a highly ranked local QB committed. We did not even want the other local QB that is going to Michigan State since we have an elite one in Brady White. Peat pretty much is a shopping and not solid with UCLA, and could end up at ASU if the coaches don't sign someone they like better.Check out singing day if you still think AZ local kids are still leaving the state or programs like ASU can't get decent to elite Cali talent. Right now Scout has ASU with 18 commits at 21 and Washington with 21 players ranked 24, there is no reason either school can't get it done. There are two parts to building a program and both are crucial. Arizona is booked up with a ranking in the 30's. They can enjoy their top ten raking but over time the talent will tell.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I support Sundevil76
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

All of you act like winning does not change the local perception with recruits anywhere? Koetter was such a turd to the local HS coaches that it takes time to change minds. Ericson was a complete loser in recruiting elite local programs like Chandler-Hamilton saying he could do better with the abundance of players in California. Kirk wanted to leave the state and only changed his mind recently due to Graham and three seasons of 8-10-10. When was the last time recruits like Gusitn, Irwin, Holiday, Masina, or Wicker would have the Devils in their final cut? ASU has a five star JC already. In state we have two of three best O-lineman. Bryce Perkins ( Paul Perkins brother at UCLA) is a highly ranked local QB committed. We did not even want the other local QB that is going to Michigan State since we have an elite one in Brady White. Peat pretty much is a shopping and not solid with UCLA, and could end up at ASU if the coaches don't sign someone they like better.Check out singing day if you still think AZ local kids are still leaving the state or programs like ASU can't get decent to elite Cali talent. Right now Scout has ASU with 18 commits at 21 and Washington with 21 players ranked 24, there is no reason either school can't get it done. There are two parts to building a program and both are crucial. Arizona is booked up with a ranking in the 30's. They can enjoy their top ten raking but over time the talent will tell.

No one disagrees with you that ASU can get it done. Graham has proven to be a very good coach and there's no denying that from any objective viewpoint. Some of us don't see ASU as a sleeping giant or destination program because coaches have left there frequently and the school does not dominate in-state recruiting. Doesn't mean they can't have a great 5 year run. The state of Arizona has more talent than Washington but UW's advantage is they always dominate in-state (under a non fucktard coach) which gives them a top 30 class right off the bat. If ASU could just get half of the local talent they'd easily recruit in the top 20 every year.

The question is how long will Graham be there and secondly, can they replace Norvell if he leaves. I may be full of shit but I believe his offense is what has gotten ASU to contender status, leapfrogging the congested pack under Oregon/Stanford. Graham giving 500K is not a huge deal. I think he will stay for another 2-3 years but would be surprised if he was there beyond 4.

UW's advantage is two-fold. First, Petersen will likely be there 12-15 years. It will be his last job. Second, they play in the north and miss USC or UCLA every year and also will miss the Arizona schools sometimes who are serious about football. And they get to play WSU and OSU every year. OSU won't be a pushover anymore with Anderson. Oregon better enjoy their prominence now because when Chip's influence on the program becomes 0 (in a few years) Helfrich will have to beat Petersen and now Anderson on his own merits.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I just laugh at the how long will Graham be at ASU when Chryst just booked from crappy Pitt after three years for the Vagers. All the time their macho East Coast fans came over to our Scout board to talk the worst smack with comments like Penny Graham was having sex with players or the same old tired shit about, "is he gone yet" , but when the reality for their program is almost a new coaching staff on average after a two or three year period. One got arrested and fired before even going through spring practice. Mora is more a threat to leave. Hell, Riley is the Nebraska coach. They all job hop and its not like AD's don't fire their butts like Colorado if they get cold feet when they should have a moral obligation to let the guy have at least a couple years, its a business. There must be at least four or five trite comments about him leaving ASU in the near future on this thread alone, say something insightful at least. I believe him when he says he wants to build a top ten team and his wife's parents really do live here. When did Mora or Sark give a $500,000 to any football program? If he leaves and ASU is a major player that is fine with us, but don't lay the same old tired crap on him leaving soon. If ASU gets a couple years of 10 wins or more that is OK with everyone. There is a better chance Sark gets fired at USC for not getting them to the next level than the slick talking car salesman from Tempe leaving in the next two years. Looking at the attitude of people here on HardCore Husky coach Pete better win ten games next year or else!
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Take this shit to the SunDoovil bored.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If he leaves and ASU is a major player that is fine with us, but don't lay the same old tired crap on him leaving soon. If ASU gets a couple more years of 10 wins or more that is OK with everyone.

lol hence ASU is not a destination job nor a sleeping giant.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I think the comment about ASU having an easy time since we don't play Oregon and Stanford in the same year is out of date. Hell, we played Shaw's boys twice last year.The Trees were not unbeatable this year and the Devils with Berc pretty much dominated our game with them. If anything, Washington is better off moving forward with the situation at the two Oregon schools and the Cougs. Shaw is a good coach but lets see the next couple years after the recent performance? With the exception of Colorado, the balance of the South is pretty decent. Maybe a wash in either division?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Norvell's offense did not live up to its potential but Graham's defense exceeded in every way. Just TWO starters from last year. A Coug walk on and Washington native, Jordan Simone, was a lights out player and missed in the Arizona game. Maricus Hardison when from a rotation player to now probably getting drafted. Graham has a very good staff on defense which he takes an active part as you know. Under Ericson Sutton was OK but not all PAC 12 POY two years in a row. No, you are wrong - coaching is very good on both offense or defense. Norvell is good or he would not be one of the best paid in the PAC 12 but Graham has a long list of very good OC's since his Tulsa days like Mahlzhan. To say his winning is soley due to Norvel is just not true. Would hurt to have him leave but the guy has reloaded a lot in the past at OC. Do your research and you will see a number of guys calling offenses that worked for Graham that are at big programs.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,426
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    those wrist bands make Graham look like fag

So there's that