Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

ASU

Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,856
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
edited December 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
It looks like Graham isn't going anywhere for the time being.

This really annoying Duck who lived in Phoenix for a year or two used to talk about their wasted potential a few years ago and I sort of agreed with him. That's a relatively large metro area. There are always slutty girls a stone's throw away. The academic standards aren't high. They can plug in JUCO guys. SoCal (recruits) are close, and Texas isn't real far away.

With Graham and Sark at the Condoms, they can probably be a force for a few years. I'm not saying they'll be Oregon south (vomit at giving Oregon that kind of credit) or SC during their top years, but I see them being a consistent top 25 team who can win 8-11 regular season games and maybe get lucky and get to the RB one year. It doesn't seem like they'll fade away and go 5-7 for two years like they usually do. Graham isn't going to let that happen.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    So they'll be the Washington of the South division then.

Yawn.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't really get the sleeping giant stuff with ASU.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

If you look at some of those ASU teams from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s, there were some real powerhouses. That probably has something to do with the idea that it can be that way again.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Probably has to do with Iron Laws or something else similar that's just as fucktarded.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

If you look at some of those ASU teams from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s, there were some real powerhouses. That probably has something to do with the idea that it can be that way again.
    Washington had some real powerhouses too.

I wonder if that has something to do with expectations around here.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Upvoted for gratuitioous dooging in a poast about ASU.

Tempe is full of drugs and sloots, the weather is warm. No reason you can't build a winnar there
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Real powerhouses that managed to get to the Rose Bowl once when we blew it.

ASU is a turd.

They are the UCLA of Arizona.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,387
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Anyone notice that they are the same template as ours? Triangle things in the armpit (supposed to represent the Husky Stadium overhang!!!1!), same numbers, same retarded shoulder design.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    Founders Club

ASU is a turd.

ASU wasn't in the Pac-10 until 1978. In '75 they went 12-1 and beat Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, our 8-3-1 team of 1986 didn't blow it. We had shortcomings at several positions (sorry Damone). ASU destroyed us that year (and the year before) and went 10-1-1 including the trip to Pasadena.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Anyone notice that they are the same template as ours? Triangle things in the armpit (supposed to represent the Husky Stadium overhang!!!1!), same numbers, same retarded shoulder design.

Put this in the thread where it belongs.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

ASU is a turd.

ASU wasn't in the Pac-10 until 1978. In '75 they went 12-1 and beat Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, our 8-3-1 team of 1986 didn't blow it. We had shortcomings at several positions (sorry Damone). ASU destroyed us that year (and the year before) and went 10-1-1 including the trip to Pasadena.
    AND WHAT ELSE?!?!?! THE OBSESSION CONTINUES!
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    topdawgnc said:

Washington had some real powerhouses too.

I wonder if that has something to do with expectations around here.
    I have long been a proponent of the sleeping giant theory with ASU. Like Washington, ASU has some major institutional advantages.

Of course, the whole idea of being a sleeping giant is that the fact you're asleep tends to eclipse every single one of Aubbie's iron laws. None of that shit matters when your entire program -- from administrators through coaches, players, and fans -- are napping.

For more on ASU's fugue state, here is a photo I took during late Q1 of UW's visit to Tempe in 2013 (the "the cancer won" game). This was a late season clash played in perfect weather between two teams with a lot left to play for. And yet somehow the (also dormant) visitors brought more fans to the game than ASU did.

I suspect Graham is going to have to post a lot more winning seasons before folks wake up down there.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2014

I guess some of that talk has to do with Phoenix becoming a TBS hot spot, but I don't see sleeping giant either. It's a terrible school in the middle of the desert. Home grown stars flee out of there at a high rate. UWs recruiting success under Dom James, per Mincys post here, was lock down in-state and carefully select SoCal guys that SC/UCLA ignored. I don't see ASU locking down in-state anytime soon. I think UW is more ideally suited to execute that, homegrown players are more prone to staying in state and CP obviously has his OKG system that worked at a high level in Boise.

ASU is a very well coached team, probably the best coached/schemed team in the league right now. But I don't see them ever having top 3 or 4 talent.They take a lot of risks defensively with how much they blitz, and I think teams have started to figure that out. And they have benefitted, and will continue to benefit, from not playing both Oregon/Stanford in the same year the past 3 seasons.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

This really annoying Duck who lived in Phoenix for a year or two used to talk about their wasted potential a few years ago and I sort of agreed with him. That's a relatively large metro area. There are always slutty girls a stone's throw away. The academic standards aren't high. They can plug in JUCO guys. SoCal (recruits) are close, and Texas isn't real far away.

With Graham and Sark at the Condoms, they can probably be a force for a few years. I'm not saying they'll be Oregon south (vomit at giving Oregon that kind of credit) or SC during their top years, but I see them being a consistent top 25 team who can win 8-11 regular season games and maybe get lucky and get to the RB one year. It doesn't seem like they'll fade away and go 5-7 for two years like they usually do. Graham isn't going to let that happen.

Good post Billy but we've been saying the same sleeping giant bullshit about ASU since 1987. Yet they are good enough for a rose bowl every 4 or 5 years. I suspect more of the same. Especially now that the pac12 is so damn deep. Its a deeper conference t han the 14-team SEC, not good for a dynasty in the desert. Shit they arent even the best team in their own state.

• Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2014
    In my opinion, Arizona State is the more logical choice if we are to guess which PAC 12 team is on the cusp of becoming a major conference and national power. Weather, a growing population base and proximity to Southern California all factor in. Sure I have dreams of Washington ascending to those lofty heights, but ASU has more going for it as far as football is concerned.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Good post Billy but we've been saying the same sleeping giant bullshit about ASU since 1987. Yet they are good enough for a rose bowl every 4 or 5 years. I suspect more of the same. Especially now that the pac12 is so damn deep. Its a deeper conference t han the 14-team SEC, not good for a dynasty in the desert. Shit they arent even the best team in their own state.

1986 and 1996 = every 5 years

The Pac 12 is deep? Seriously? It's one team
  • Options
    Vegasdawg said:

In my opinion, Arizona State is the more logical choice if we are to guess which PAC 12 team is on the cusp of becoming a major conference and national power. Weather, a growing population base and proximity to Southern California all factor in. Sure I have dreams of Washington ascending to those lofty heights, but ASU has more going for it as far as football is concerned.

Read my post vegas
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Race, we've established you're a one-trick pony (dfi) stick to that buddy. Said they were rose bowl quality every 5 years, not necessarily a representitive. I know how many times theyve been to a rose bowl dumbass.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Race, we've established you're a one-trick pony (dfi) stick to that buddy. Said they were rose bowl quality every 5 years, not necessarily a representitive. I know how many times theyve been to a rose bowl.
    So you agree you made a stupid post