Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Upshaw

13»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014

I think both guys are underrated because they play for Washington. That's not purple-tinted glasses, but a reality. Where was Brandon Roy's ranked in December of his senior year? Terrence Ross went way higher than expected. How often are these guys from these sites watching UW? I look through the 2015 mock draft and Upshaw is better than a ton of guys listed before him.

While I agree players who don't play on elite teams may suffer slightly in rankings, a lot of UW players have shot that theory down by their draft position.

Ross and Roy were pretty big freaks of nature for their size and abilities. Roy was essentially a scoring PG who was huge and had sneaky bounce even with knee problems.

I do believe upshaw is going to go up the ranks providing he stays in good standing, but Upshaw's rank may be do in part to his history and the "risk" of adding him. Whether or not smoking weed is fair to be dinged in a large manner is not really debatable b/c we don't draft guys. I think with a good season upshaw will be a first rounder. Conversely, I don't think NWG can play himself into the first round unless it somehow is done at the combine or pro workouts and punking other players. I don't think his game play this season will do jack to change many's minds.
    That's my point. Once they get to combines, and scouts go back and watch hours upon hours of tape, where you go to school matters less. However, for early mock drafts, being a 5 star recruit and playing for the best college teams gets you ranked higher.

I disagree about NWG. He will never be a really high draft pick, but UW having a good season with NWG making the all conference team will help his draft stock. The more he is recognized for being a leader and a winner will only help his draft stock. Another way to improve it is by outplaying a highly touted prospect head to head. I don't know who that would be in the Pac 12, but maybe if UW makes the tourney, that could happen.

NWG is not Russ Smith, a 5'10" gunner. NWG is a 6'3" PG who has the size to guard 2's. His shot should continue to get better. Lots of players enter the NBA as average shooters, but become elite over the years. He reminds me of Andre Miller a little bit. A bigger, slower PG, high basketball IQ, good passer, leader, good teammate, average shooter.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2014

So two recent examples, from UW shoot down that theory in flashing colors. Both IT and TW were all conference with UW having good seasons. Neither of which weren't helped in the draft by their season.

Andre miller is a likely a good comparison to someone he could project to. Andre did improve and play 4 years in college and had a long NBA career to boot. I wonder if NWG goes too early if he will get the chance andre did to prove himself. It's a different NBA than when Andre came out. The GM's love big, drooling athlete types.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014

So two recent examples, from UW shoot down that theory in flashing colors. Both IT and TW were all conference with UW having good seasons. Neither of which weren't helped in the draft by their season.

Andre miller is a likely a good comparison to someone he could project to. Andre did improve and play 4 years in college and had a long NBA career to boot. I wonder if NWG goes too early if he will get the chance andre did to prove himself. It's a different NBA than when Andre came out. The GM's love big, drooling athlete types.

IT was an exception. I was firmly in the camp he was an NBA player when he was at UW despite his size. It was obvious and he had succeeded at every level. It was obviously a mistake that he lasted until the last pick.

TW's team didn't even make the tournament. He went about where he was always expected to go because he had an up and down season.

There are tons of guys every year that do stuff to improve their stock. If UW surprises with NWG contending for CPOY, I can't see how it wouldn't help his stock. On the other side, UW going .500 in conference and making the NIT would do nothing to help it.

I do understand what you are saying. NWG will always have liabilities to scouts. There are guys with limitations that's stock rise with good play. Shabazz Napier is an example.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think both guys are underrated because they play for Washington. That's not purple-tinted glasses, but a reality. Where was Brandon Roy's ranked in December of his senior year? Terrence Ross went way higher than expected. How often are these guys from these sites watching UW? I look through the 2015 mock draft and Upshaw is better than a ton of guys listed before him.

While I agree players who don't play on elite teams may suffer slightly in rankings, a lot of UW players have shot that theory down by their draft position.

Ross and Roy were pretty big freaks of nature for their size and abilities. Roy was essentially a scoring PG who was huge and had sneaky bounce even with knee problems.

I do believe upshaw is going to go up the ranks providing he stays in good standing, but Upshaw's rank may be do in part to his history and the "risk" of adding him. Whether or not smoking weed is fair to be dinged in a large manner is not really debatable b/c we don't draft guys. I think with a good season upshaw will be a first rounder. Conversely, I don't think NWG can play himself into the first round unless it somehow is done at the combine or pro workouts and punking other players. I don't think his game play this season will do jack to change many's minds.
    That's my point. Once they get to combines, and scouts go back and watch hours upon hours of tape, where you go to school matters less. However, for early mock drafts, being a 5 star recruit and playing for the best college teams gets you ranked higher.

I disagree about NWG. He will never be a really high draft pick, but UW having a good season with NWG making the all conference team will help his draft stock. The more he is recognized for being a leader and a winner will only help his draft stock. Another way to improve it is by outplaying a highly touted prospect head to head. I don't know who that would be in the Pac 12, but maybe if UW makes the tourney, that could happen.

NWG is not Russ Smith, a 5'10" gunner. NWG is a 6'3" PG who has the size to guard 2's. His shot should continue to get better. Lots of players enter the NBA as average shooters, but become elite over the years. He reminds me of Andre Miller a little bit. A bigger, slower PG, high basketball IQ, good passer, leader, good teammate, average shooter.
    Great call on the Andre Miller comparison. Completely agree.