Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2014 Stanford and ASU games

2»

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

There are certainly coaching decisions to be critical about in both the Stanford and ASU games. However, saying we "should" have won is stretching it.

Against Stanford, the game was tied 13-13 and we never scored another point. After the fake punt, Stanford went right down and scored. If we punted, they probably get a FG although it is fair to say the punt changed the momentum and sucked the life out of the crowd, etc. There is no way to really know, but we never had the lead in that game.

Against ASU, they marched down the field and scored after the FG drive. So even if UW scored a TD on that drive, ASU would have taken the lead on their TD drive. We watched the offense all day. I doubt UW could have driven for a FG with such little time left and a non existent passing game.

The fake punt call turned out poorly but I think it was a good call based on how much the offense struggled. I think when it failed, it sucked the life out of the defense and they gave up the TD because of it.

If it works, UW is in position to maybe kick a FG or even score a TD and then possibly win the game. If that happens, everyone's going skeet for Pete.
    My problem with the fake was that it was so basic. Everyone notices Shaq at up back and Stanford was well aware of the possibility of a fake. You're not going to catch them off guard snapping the ball to your best player. They all notice Shaq is in the game and where he is located. It was 4th and 10 and we tried to snap it to Shaq and have him run up the middle. 4th and 2, it's different, but expecting that play to go for 10+ was stupid.
    You sure it was 4th and 10? I thought it was a little closer, 4th and 7 or so. It makes the decision to go for it a little better.

The execution and most importantly the communication to Shaq to tell him to stay with the punt after reading the defense were disappointing.
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    We didn't have an offense capable of wining two more games. This is not complicated.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Vegasdawg said:

We didn't have an offense capable of wining two more games. This is not complicated.

This is just as bad as saying we should have won the games.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stanford and ASU were in theory winnable because of our defense. However, both games would have needed good quarterbacking/offensive play at the time and we were not anywhere near that in either game. That is a big stretch to call those games should-haves. The whole fake punt business in the Stanford game is a red herring.
    We play Stanford now and I think we win rather easily.

Fuck. I had forgotten all about cyler. My night is now ruined