Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oregon, Alabama, Florida State and Ohio State are my Final Four picks. What say You??

CharlesMincyCharlesMincy Member Posts: 44
5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
Ohio State is legit and has been the last 3 years.
Get outta here Baylor and TCU with your magic Flash-In-The Pan pixie dust seasons.

Comments

• Options
    HuskiesADWHuskiesADW Member Posts: 141
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    I think it will be Bama, Oregon, FSU, TCU.

I don't think there is a way that the committee lets tOSU or Baylor jump TCU. In fact if TCU gets in I will put some money down in Vegas that they will win it all. Very talented team. They arguably have the "loss" of all 1 loss teams.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think Oregon, Bama, OSU, and TCU would be the best playoff but obviously FSU will be in there. So I would say keep TCU instead of OSU.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited December 2014
    I think that those (Bama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio) will be the Final Four teams.

It's hard for me to give much credit to the Big 10 for their in general crappy play this year. Clearly Ohio State is by far better than the rest in their conference. How good they are nationally though? Big question mark to me.

I realize that I'm a bit biased, but TCU's program is far from a "Flash in the Pan." Regardless of what bowl they make it to this year, this will be their 3rd "BCS-caliber" Bowl in the last 6 years ... that's not a fluke or is Gary Patterson's 131-45 record as a head coach. The only thing that was "flukish" about TCU in the last 6 years has been the previous 2 years where a lack of QB play really hurt them.
  • Options
    On probation, Ohio State went 10-0. They are a LEGIT team. Baylor and TCU will be after thoughts next year. You have to give it to the Best teams. I do not think Florida State is one of the best teams, but they are the defending champs and undefeated. You cannot not include them even though we all would like to.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,249
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The committee risks losing all credibility if they leave Ohio State out of the mix.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,578
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We might as well start the 8 team playoff this year...lol

I think TCU gets in, even though they lost to Baylor. They played in a tougher conference than Ohio State.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

On probation, Ohio State went 10-0. They are a LEGIT team. Baylor and TCU will be after thoughts next year. You have to give it to the Best teams. I do not think Florida State is one of the best teams, but they are the defending champs and undefeated. You cannot not include them even though we all would like to.

I'm no froog but tcu has been a legit program over the last decade. The big 10 was an embarrassment of a conference this year and va tech was horrible loss.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

The committee risks losing all credibility if they leave Ohio State out of the mix.

Why do you say that? Any of the one loss teams can make a legitimate case.
  • Options
    4 of 5 of the power conferences were won by teams with 1 losses. The other power conference champion was undefeated.

Only way for more chaos is if Notre Dame also had 1 loss.

As it stands, you're still in a situation where you have to subjectively make decisions on what conferences/teams are better.

The conference champions (with minimal exceptions to this) should have the opportunity to determine who is the best on the field. It's why 6 teams has always made the most sense. This covers all conference champions as well as the unique situations where either Notre Dame is deserving or when you have a TCU/Baylor situation or an Alabama/Mississippi State situation had Mississippi State finished with 1 loss.
  • Options

Ohio State is a lock but TCU is very very good. Baylor is junk but their Stadium is sweet. I hope TCU plays Boise and curb stomps them.

1. Bama
    2. Whoregon
    3. OSU
    4. FSU

I don't think TCU has any interest whatsoever in playing Boise
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014
    I think the committee messed up when they put TCU at 3 the past week. It really left the door open for them to get completely reamed if they oust them now. Everyone knows you can't knock FSU out if they win, so why dangle them at the 4?

They should have had the only revolving door spot held by one of the fringe teams (TCU, Baylor, OSU) and then reseed accordingly after the championship games played out.

They will look like complete douche nozzles if they bump TCU out after placing them at 3, even though tOSU needs to be in for any credibility to remain.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

I think the committee messed up when they put TCU at 3 the past week. It really left the door open for them to get completely reamed if they oust them now. Everyone knows you can't knock FSU out if they win, so why dangle them at the 4?

They should have had the only revolving door spot held by one of the fringe teams (TCU, Baylor, OSU) and then reseed accordingly after the championship games played out.

They will look like complete douche nozzles if they bump TCU out after placing them at 3, even though tOSU needs to be in for any credibility to remain.

What has Ohio State done to make them a lock to the extent that if they aren't in the Top 4 teams that there is no credibility? Excluding Florida State, there are 5 teams with 1 losses that are fighting for 3 spots. Alabama lost on the road to Ole Miss (probably in the playoff bowl group). Oregon lost at home to Arizona (who they played in the conference title game - another team that will be in the playoff bowl group). TCU lost on the road to Baylor (a team that has a chance to be in the Final Four and for sure will be in the playoff bowl group). Baylor lost on the road to West Virginia. Ohio State lost at home to Virginia Tech. Of that group, unquestionably the worst loss of the bunch is Ohio State. When you add to that that the two worst conferences this year were either the Big 10 or the ACC, and the champ of the Big 10 was beat by an extremely mediocre team from the ACC, to me, those are the compelling reasons to exclude Ohio State.

The only reason to move TCU to number 3 last week was to confirm that the opinion of them was that barring a loss this weekend (or a close game), TCU was going to be in the Final Four teams.

And regarding those always pointing out that TCU lost to Baylor therefore Baylor should be rated higher, college football has a lengthy history of ignoring that when comparing similar teams. Two instances that come to mind immediately:

1993: Notre Dame beat Florida State in South Bend and then lost to an above average Boston College team at home. Florida State won the national title.

2000: Florida State lost to Miami who lost to Washington. All were 1 loss teams - Washington's loss was to a 2 loss Oregon team that shared the conference championship. Florida State played for the BCS title against Oklahoma.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

What has Ohio State done to make them a lock to the extent that if they aren't in the Top 4 teams that there is no credibility? Excluding Florida State, there are 5 teams with 1 losses that are fighting for 3 spots. Alabama lost on the road to Ole Miss (probably in the playoff bowl group). Oregon lost at home to Arizona (who they played in the conference title game - another team that will be in the playoff bowl group). TCU lost on the road to Baylor (a team that has a chance to be in the Final Four and for sure will be in the playoff bowl group). Baylor lost on the road to West Virginia. Ohio State lost at home to Virginia Tech. Of that group, unquestionably the worst loss of the bunch is Ohio State. When you add to that that the two worst conferences this year were either the Big 10 or the ACC, and the champ of the Big 10 was beat by an extremely mediocre team from the ACC, to me, those are the compelling reasons to exclude Ohio State.

The only reason to move TCU to number 3 last week was to confirm that the opinion of them was that barring a loss this weekend (or a close game), TCU was going to be in the Final Four teams.

And regarding those always pointing out that TCU lost to Baylor therefore Baylor should be rated higher, college football has a lengthy history of ignoring that when comparing similar teams. Two instances that come to mind immediately:

1993: Notre Dame beat Florida State in South Bend and then lost to an above average Boston College team at home. Florida State won the national title.

2000: Florida State lost to Miami who lost to Washington. All were 1 loss teams - Washington's loss was to a 2 loss Oregon team that shared the conference championship. Florida State played for the BCS title against Oklahoma.
    Tequilla, tOSU just blasted Wisconsin. Their only loss was 2nd game of the year after losing Braxton Miller. Urban Meyer and his natty's get to pop off. It sucks, TCU is a great squad and Patterson is in the elite category of coaches, but you guys didn't win your conference. You are right that today was worst case scenario for TCU, that Oklahoma loss might be the difference.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Bolded the wtf sections. I don't know anything about '93--too young, but in '00 Miami was playing better ball at the end of the year than UW and FSU and probably should've gone to the NC. Same thing applies to this year, Ohio and Alabama are by far better teams now than they were against VT and Ole Miss. Even with their third QB Ohio probably kills VT if they play again, and same for Bama and Ole Miss.

On a second point, I think that you're all sleeping on FSU and how well they perform under pressure. I think there's definitely an element of playing down to the competition, and it's hard to see them not being able to score with the other teams if Jameis and Cook are clicking.
  • Options
    It's really simple. When you look at the losses:

Alabama lost on the road to a team that will finish in the top 12 of the standings
    Oregon lost at home to a team on the top 12 of the standings
    TCU lost on the road to a team that will finish in the top 6 of the standings
    Baylor lost on the road to a team outside the top 12 of the standings (a 7-5 West Virginia team that lost to Alabama, TCU, KState, Oklahoma, and at Texas)
    Ohio State lost at home to a team outside the top 12 of the standings (a 6-6 Virginia Tech team)

I get that it was early in the year. I get that Ohio State was breaking in a new QB. But of all the losses, that is by far the worst loss of the group with 1 loss. It's an eye sore.

If you look at Ohio State now and think that they are playing Top 4 quality football, that's a fair point. But when you look at what happened over the course of the season, you can't say that they were a Top 4 team over the entire season. To put them in the playoffs over teams that were far more consistent throughout the season would minimize what was done early in the year.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

It's really simple. When you look at the losses:

Alabama lost on the road to a team that will finish in the top 12 of the standings
    Oregon lost at home to a team on the top 12 of the standings
    TCU lost on the road to a team that will finish in the top 6 of the standings
    Baylor lost on the road to a team outside the top 12 of the standings (a 7-5 West Virginia team that lost to Alabama, TCU, KState, Oklahoma, and at Texas)
    Ohio State lost at home to a team outside the top 12 of the standings (a 6-6 Virginia Tech team)

I get that it was early in the year. I get that Ohio State was breaking in a new QB. But of all the losses, that is by far the worst loss of the group with 1 loss. It's an eye sore.

If you look at Ohio State now and think that they are playing Top 4 quality football, that's a fair point. But when you look at what happened over the course of the season, you can't say that they were a Top 4 team over the entire season. To put them in the playoffs over teams that were far more consistent throughout the season would minimize what was done early in the year.

Looking at losses alone is dumb.

TCU has a win over Kansas State and....Minnesota?

The XII refused to pick a conference champion and they're going to pay for it today.

• Options
    I have ONE THING to say about anyone who doubts if Ohio State should be in the Final Four...
    "Fifty-Nine to Nothing!!!!" "Fifty-Nine" to nothing.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Anyone that thinks FSU should be out loves sizzle. FSU played OK State, Notre Dame, and Florida in non conference. They play down to their competition at times, but they are the only undefeated team. They always pull it out. Undefeated, tough non conference schedule, and they beat three teams that finished in the top 25.

Winning at Louisville on a Thursday is a better road win than either TCU or Baylor had.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

And no matter what was or wasn't fair (the fair thing would probably have been to give it to Washington), by the end of that season the best team in the country was Miami, and they would have rolled Oklahoma, Florida State or Washington .... or anybody else for that matter. That team was fucking loaded and was coming together by January.

Carry on.