Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Thoughts on this huge game

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,781
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited August 2013

If Sark wins its no big deal. If he loses its a disaster. Well played.

That's the way it is, doog
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

For obvious reasons, this game is huge for us. But it is just as big for the Idaho Trucking Academy. This is their one shot at a BCS conference opponent. Winning this game is the key to their season.

On paper, no contest. We recruit a different level athlete than they do. But on the field, Chris Peterson has only lost 8 games in 7 years. And he has never been blown out. His worst loss was to Jake and Ty, 24-10. (And didn't it feel like a corner had been turned that day?) Boise is extremely well coached and they expect to win every game.

So this game will close and extremely intense. Here is how Auburndawg sees it:

We lost by 2 in Vegas

By getting healthy and getting kids like Tanigawa and Jamora back, and returning virtually every starter from last year, we will be improved over last year. Boise, on the other hand, has to replace 40% of their starters. They will be no better, talent wise, maybe a bit worse. Let's say that makes a 7 point difference.

Home field advantage adds another 7 points.

Dawgs 34
    Boise 24

Will this be the new 5 reasons? Staff?!
  • Options
    This game is only big if we lose IMO. A win here really doesn't tell us much as UW still has Oregon at home plus four quality conference opponents on the road(All of which Vegas has UW as underdogs).

I think UW wins this game and still only wins 7 games this year. That is why a loss here and especially a plunger raping will be foreshadowing this season.

I would think the Huskies would win but as Damone pointed out I could easily see the Huskies coming out flat and losing by double digits. Then on Monday hearing how our players over looked them and they will learn their lesson on not taking an opponent lightly ever again, blah blah blah.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,256
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I miss the annual six game losing streak
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Some of the people on here are so hilarious.

I love how they set this game up as a meaningless win, yet we always hear how Chris Petersen is the next Bear Bryant.

Maybe some perspective on why this could be a big win:

1. Opening game of the New Husky stadium
    2. Peterson is 84-8 @ Boise St
    3. Win over Top 25 team to start the season
    4. List some of the early season opponents in the CP era:

12' = L @ #13 MSU
    11' = W @ #19 Georgia
    10' = W @ #10 Va Tech (technically "neutral site")
    09' = W #16 Oregon
    08' = W @ #17 Oregon
    07' = L @ UW (CP lost to Try Losingham???)
    06' = W Oregon St

So yes this is a big game and a MUST win for the UW.
  • Options

I love how they set this game up as a meaningless win, yet we always hear how Chris Petersen is the next Bear Bryant.

12' = L @ #13 MSU
    11' = W @ #19 Georgia
    09' = W #16 Oregon
    08' = W @ #17 Oregon
    06' = W Oregon St

Sark has already proven he can beat quality/decent teams at home(Stanford and Oregon State in 2012, Cal in 2011, Cal in 2009, Arizona in 2009 and USC in 2009).

To me a "turning the corner" win would be beating Stanford on the road, beating Oregon, winning two of three on the road against UCLA, Oregon State and ASU.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

12' = L @ #13 MSU
    11' = W @ #19 Georgia
    09' = W #16 Oregon
    08' = W @ #17 Oregon
    06' = W Oregon St

Sark has already proven he can beat quality/decent teams at home(Stanford and Oregon State in 2012, Cal in 2011, Cal in 2009, Arizona in 2009 and USC in 2009).

To me a "turning the corner" win would be beating Stanford on the road, beating Oregon, winning two of three on the road against UCLA, Oregon State and ASU.
    Turn the corner??? Who said anything about turning the corner?

If you can't see this is a big game then I can't help you.

But continue to set it up as a win means NOTHING.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    A win could mean something. It could also mean nothing. Either way, it will be interesting.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

12' = L @ #13 MSU
    11' = W @ #19 Georgia
    09' = W #16 Oregon
    08' = W @ #17 Oregon
    06' = W Oregon St

Only thing I will say is that this Boise State team is nowhere near as good as the ones from 08'-'11. Those teams had Kellen Moore, Doug Martin, Titus Young, Austin Pettas, Shea McClellon (1st round pick), Billy Winn, Kyle Wilson, and I'm sure there are more. Those teams were loaded with NFL players.

• Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    tracker said:

For obvious reasons, this game is huge for us. But it is just as big for the Idaho Trucking Academy. This is their one shot at a BCS conference opponent. Winning this game is the key to their season.

On paper, no contest. We recruit a different level athlete than they do. But on the field, Chris Peterson has only lost 8 games in 7 years. And he has never been blown out. His worst loss was to Jake and Ty, 24-10. (And didn't it feel like a corner had been turned that day?) Boise is extremely well coached and they expect to win every game.

So this game will close and extremely intense. Here is how Auburndawg sees it:

We lost by 2 in Vegas

By getting healthy and getting kids like Tanigawa and Jamora back, and returning virtually every starter from last year, we will be improved over last year. Boise, on the other hand, has to replace 40% of their starters. They will be no better, talent wise, maybe a bit worse. Let's say that makes a 7 point difference.

Home field advantage adds another 7 points.

Dawgs 34
    Boise 24

If you combine the comments in this thread with the comments from the "Pole-First Play. . ." thread you'll see that anything is possible with a Sark coached team. . .and that's the problem with the Huskies. No identity. Predicting a game scenario or outcome is a crap-shoot.
    Crap-shoot. Awesome. Is Sark still playing with house money? Is house money what the commemorative coins they intend to give first 20,000 through the gates will be called?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If UW wins it will mean something, if not, it will mean something.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,244
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited August 2013

12' = L @ #13 MSU
    11' = W @ #19 Georgia
    09' = W #16 Oregon
    08' = W @ #17 Oregon
    06' = W Oregon St

The outcome of this game has no influence on conference standings. From that perspective it means little. One could also argue that this is the first game of the season so neither team will be operating at 100%, but why throw that little turd nugget into the punch bowl.

Simple fact, Peterson will have BSU ready to play. That is who he is and how his teams play. Also simple fact, we have no fucking idea what Searkeessian is going to roll out, except as history has taught us, it could get boat raced.

RoadDawg is right about the talent level. It is not the same as the Kellen Moore teams. They are closer to the team that lost @UW in '07. Losing to them, especially at home, means a lot more than beating them. Win this game and all you can say is that the Huskies bettered a rebuilding MWC team at Husky Stadium. Solid win, but this should be a matter of routine. A loss to them means the Huskies are nowhere near taking that "next step". This is another simple fact.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

12' = L @ #13 MSU
    11' = W @ #19 Georgia
    09' = W #16 Oregon
    08' = W @ #17 Oregon
    06' = W Oregon St

Turn the corner??? Who said anything about turning the corner?

If you can't see this is a big game then I can't help you.

But continue to set it up as a win means NOTHING.
    The original poster said something about turning the corner in the original post.

In fact, his original post showed just how meaningless a win over Boise State is.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I don't think it means a whole lot in the standings. However, it would be a good momentum builder. Just as a loss would be a tremendous letdown
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

I don't think it means a whole lot in the standings. However, it would be a good momentum builder. Just as a loss would be a tremendous letdown

Beating Boise is always a good momentum builder, everybody says so:

August 31 5:00 PM at Syracuse* Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN W 42-12 40,329
    September 8 12:30 PM #20 Boise State* Husky Stadium • Seattle, WA FSN W 24-10 70,045
    September 15 12:30 PM #10 Ohio State* Husky Stadium • Seattle, WA ESPN L 14-33 74,927
    September 22 7:30 PM at UCLA Rose Bowl • Pasadena, CA FSN L 31-44 72,124
    September 29 5:00 PM #1 USC Husky Stadium • Seattle, WA ABC L 24-27 68,654
    October 13 7:00 PM at #14 Arizona State Sun Devil Stadium • Tempe, AZ FSN L 20-44 64,347
    October 20 4:30 PM #7 Oregon Husky Stadium • Seattle, WA FSN L 34-55 66,481
    October 27 12:00 PM Arizona Husky Stadium • Seattle, WA FSN L 41-48 61,124
  • Options
    Fuck...why did EmmertFuckingStupid bring Ty back after that 2007 season anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Washington_Huskies_football_team
  • Options

Fuck...why did EmmertFuckingStupid bring Ty back after that 2007 season anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Washington_Huskies_football_team

That team may have been 4-9 but damn look at those moral victories!
  • Options

It is a huge game for two reasons:

1. Best case scenario, the Oregon game is a toss up. We have to win every other home game to get have the type of season we all want. (Well, everyone other than you.)

2. Everyone else on the planet would acknowledge the psychological importance of winning this game.

But I like how you are preemptively moving the goal posts, Hills. If Sark wins its no big deal. If he loses its a disaster. Well played.

But how was I right the whole time?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

It is a huge game for two reasons:

1. Best case scenario, the Oregon game is a toss up. We have to win every other home game to get have the type of season we all want. (Well, everyone other than you.)

2. Everyone else on the planet would acknowledge the psychological importance of winning this game.

But I like how you are preemptively moving the goal posts, Hills. If Sark wins its no big deal. If he loses its a disaster. Well played.

But how was I right the whole time?
    Well ... you did say that @Oregon State was a big game ... so that was a bit of a miss. Anytime you consider a game to be big and is cited by KJV as one of the crowning moments of Sark's tenure, you should probably light yourself on fire.