Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to tequilla

2»

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

I think TCU is the better team, but Tequilla, don't act like if you were a Baylor fan that you would be calmly accepting the possibility of being denied entry to the final 4. You would be writing long, anguished dissertations on why Baylor's win over TCU qualifies them more.

LOL
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I think TCU is the better team, but Tequilla, don't act like if you were a Baylor fan that you would be calmly accepting the possibility of being denied entry to the final 4. You would be writing long, anguished dissertations on why Baylor's win over TCU qualifies them more.

potd
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I don't care too much who goes, but TCU being 3 spots above a team that beat them is pretty ridiculous.

I realize it is a bit apples and oranges, but you could make the same argument about Oregon/Arizona or even Alabama/Ole Miss.
    Except for, you know, the records aren't the same.

I've never been of the "head to head trumps everything else" ilk, but even those who do ascribe to that worldview don't try to apply it when one team has more losses than the other. Unless they're, you know, coogs.
    You clearly didn't read the "it's a bit apples and oranges" part of it ...

And with respect to Oregon vs. Arizona, you could very easily argue that the PAC South >>> PAC North.
    It's not a bit apples and oranges, it's completely apples and oranges to the point that the hypothetical arguments you're suggesting don't exist. No one anywhere is lobbying for Ole Miss in the playoff over Alabama.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I think tcu may be better too. Maybe not. If they only did something like play each other on a fucking football field to determine who would come out on top... Then we would know who deserved to go.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You mean I have to be fair and balanced???
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    In all fairness, I think the gap between the two teams is close. The only reason for Baylor to be 6th in my opinion is to punish it for things that they control whether that be their OOC scheduling (which has been poor for years) or for their cheating in the recruiting game (allegedly).

I have many friends that are both TCU and Baylor alums. This topic has sparked a lengthy debate for the last few months. Normally, you're right that I'd cite H2H as a determining factor. In this case, it was a strange game. TCU controlled the game for 50 minutes. Baylor at times looked over matched. It took some collapse by TCU and some shady officiating for Baylor to win the game on the last play of the game by 3 at home. Using the 3 point home field differential for playing at home, combined with how the game played out, the overwhelming feeling that I had leaving the game was that the two teams are fairly equal.

In my opinion, TCU should have beaten Baylor and lost the game at West Virginia. The results were the reverse of what they should have been. I also think TCU grew from the Baylor game immensely as the defensive collapse put some renewed emphasis on cleaning up the defensive side of their game that was somewhat slipping with the focus on turning around the offensive side of things. Since that game they haven't given up more than 30 points in a game and have returned to looking more like what you'd expect from the TCU defense.

Removing all bias, I do think that TCU is the better team. But the margin isn't huge. Baylor should definitely be ranked ahead of Ohio State and I'm sure that if Baylor somehow managed to also get into the Top 4, Alabama probably wouldn't want to play them.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Well this thread was as hilarious as I hoped