Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dan Hawkins or Don James? It's too early to tell

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
imageDan Hawkins or Don James? It's too early to tell

The disappointing season has the natives restless about the future, and Mad Son returns to give his take.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Hawkins until proven otherwise.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Good quote by Spurrier, and great point about that quote. Good chit AngrySon
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Dirk Koetter.

wiki/Dirk_Koetter:
    At Arizona State, Koetter compiled a 40–34 (.541)record, and four winning seasons in six years. Under Koetter, the Sun Devils became known for a vertical passing attack. He held a 1–11 record against top 10 teams, and was 2–19 (.095) against ranked teams.

If this OL gets worse -> bad next year, there will be a losing season.
    But...if the O can master this offense by next fall, and bring back the no-huddle, the O could become decent.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Cool post @muttzen!!! Kinda stuff you only find at hardcorehusky.com. Welcome and keep up the good work!
  • Options
    halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 212
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes

I knew Dan Hawkins. I played for Dan Hawkins. Sir, Chris Petersen is no Dan Hawkins.

So you are saying Chris Petersen is like Dan Quayle while Dan Hawkins is like JFK?
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2014

Hawkins until proven otherwise.

Disafuckinggree.

DJ - 25-19-1 at Kent State.
    DJ - 6-5 in 1975
    DJ - 5-6 in 1976

CP - 92-12 at BSU (MUCH,MUCH, MUCH, MUCH tougher comp than fucking Kent State)
    CP - 6-4 in 2014 with 2-3 winnable games left.

DH - 2-10 in 2006
    DH - 6-7 in 2007

DJ could easily be closer to DH than he will be to CP after two years.

James learned, made changes, and became a great coach but he started off MEDIOCRE at best.

Pete is currently better than mediocre. Hence better than DJ (at that point which is the only relevant comparison point).

LIFPO

TLDR version. Until proven otherwise, Petersen is more like DJ than DH.

• Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Here' s an example of good coaching. These average scores are only taken from Pac 10/12 games to prevent OOC bias.

You can see that in chip kelly's second year as OC (2008), offensive production exploded. Over his tenure as HC (2009-2012), the offense and defense continued to improve. You can see in the most recent years with Slingblade, the trend was broken.

Time will tell how much Oregon will revert to pre-Kelly, or whether they can sustain success like BSU has.
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    So, what is the suspicion right now? I suspect Peenerman is out of his depth going from the small pond to the big ocean.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Better than Hawkins, about Koetter-replacement level until proven otherwise.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

We all suspected Sark sucked from day 1. But we KNEW he sucked by year 3. The same will be true with Petersen in year 3. He will either be good, or he will suck, but we will know then. Either way, shit will be interesting.

My issue with Sark was him flapping his yapper all the time and not backing it up. And then kim and company sucking him off like he did something great. Add to that three game losing streaks, getting blown out by average teams, and when he did win, seemingly take a week off to be a dude brah and fuck Joey's waitresses made him intolerable. Petersen is an adult in charge and while he hasn't done a lot to make me think he is going to be Don James, I'm willing to be more tolerant of him than dude brah. Still, win or GTFO. I think he will win, eventually.
    Case closed.