Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I hope he has some conversations with his buddy Chris Petersen about swallowing your pride and making changes.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Funny thing is that living in Texas I never really realized that Patterson and Petersen had such a connection with each other ...

Not that I need more reasons to believe in Petersen as a coach, but if one of his closer colleagues in the game is Patterson, that's telling to me.

And I think we all know my opinion of Patterson.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Running up the score on Texas Tech doesn't matter when you already scored 58 points and lost this season.
  • Options
    In today's world of everybody loses in college football, if we're going to eliminate a team for playing 10 bad minutes of football on the road against a Top 10 team so that we can crown 4 SEC teams in the playoff system, then I'm out.

You can't honestly sit there and tell me at this point that Oregon is a more impressive team than TCU.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

In today's world of everybody loses in college football, if we're going to eliminate a team for playing 10 bad minutes of football on the road against a Top 10 team so that we can crown 4 SEC teams in the playoff system, then I'm out.

You can't honestly sit there and tell me at this point that Oregon is a more impressive team than TCU.

They both fucking suck compared to the fifth place team in the SEC West.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,249
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wonder how TCU suddenly got good on offense? Do you think coaching played a part?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I wonder how TCU suddenly got good on offense? Do you think coaching played a part?

Suddenly?
  • Options

They had 2 down years due to an upper class QB having injuries and drug/alcohol issues. When before that were they exactly "down" on offense?

Yes, coaching matters. But hard to do much with shit QB play - which is what was in place for the prior 2 years.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014
    Tequilla said:

They had 2 down years due to an upper class QB having injuries and drug/alcohol issues. When before that were they exactly "down" on offense?

Yes, coaching matters. But hard to do much with shit QB play - which is what was in place for the prior 2 years.
    Agree, but Boykin sucked the two seasons before this when he played.

Coaches get demoted, a new coordinator with a different scheme comes in and we all see the results. I doubt Boykin would be having this type of season without that happening.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Agree, but Boykin sucked the two seasons before this when he played.
    There is no question that they are doing some things to help him take advantage of what he's good at and avoid what he isn't good at. That's strong coaching.

But at the same time, a lot of the things that they've done aren't necessarily things that you can do during the season. It's really hard to change the general course of your offense during the season. You try to find things that you execute well, get rid of the things that you don't, and hopefully don't ask your QB to do too much.

One thing that I would imagine that has also helped is that there was the equivalent of a season and a half of game film on Boykin where you could see what he did well and what he struggled with. In comparing to the UW situation, the combined QB roster had a total of about 6 quarters worth of game action going into the season.

Without any changes going into next year, you SHOULD see some growth in the QB position just because there's a little more film from which to not only teach, but also design around. That being said, I do think we need to get more game film on Williams to try to figure out what you have there. Figuring out who the QB is next year, and more importantly designing and implementing a scheme to highlight that QBs strengths will be paramount in the offseason regardless of who the QB is.