Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A little help from you assholes?

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,073
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
There are actually some smart football types on this bored. Smarter than me anyway. Not hard, I know. EAFD.

I'm watching this shit show of an offense all year and I can't figure out the root of the problem. Smith's play calling seems shitty to me, but what the fuck do you call when you have no D-1 QB on the team? Or, is the QB looking bad because our WR get no separation and always have the dropsies? Or, does the QB suck because our OL truly sucks at blocking. Or is it our poor RBs who can't keep defenses honest? Or our shitty OL that can't run block? This is one shitty cyclic argument.

I know the actual answer is abundance. But humor me football smart guys, what is our central problem(s)? I honest to God can't tell. Seems so much is going wrong that it is obviously a little bit of everything, but what's the main turd(s) in the punch bowl?

Comments

• Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    The offensive line fucking sucks and they are our senior leadership.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,940
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited October 2014
    Abundance

I'm not a smart football guy though.

Whomever we roll out as qb is the worst in the Pac 12. It's not close. If we had better skill guys the Monday morning qb's wouldn't be calling for coaching changes and saying the offensive line is the worst in D 1. That's not to say the coaching can't get better, but it's getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Funny how you guys all change from Peterson and Williams are our hero's to Peterman is a bum that bailed from Boise and Williams is shit too cause he can't throw in 40 mph winds.

That being said, it's mostly our offensive line. You see, you could put Peyton behind that line and he'd suck. I saw Troy last night have to bail from the "pocket" a lot then couldn't find anyone down field. In those winds he was only going to complete 5-10 yard throws anyways.

Sark left no offensive line at all. Remember all the bitching about 14 receivers and no oline recruits? I was one of them. Sark clearly never realized that receivers don't matter of the dude throwing them the ball is on his ass all night.

Oh yeah and abundance.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    If the offense was growing at the rate the defense is, we'd all be sane right now.

The issue is the offense sucks dog balls. Why? Because none of these fuckers have been coached.

Tosh bought good talent and Wilcox was a good enough coach to keep the talent growing.

On the flip side Sark didn't develop anyone on the offensive side of the ball.

Lindquist was the problem, until he wasn't.
    Miles was the problem, until he wasn't.
    Williams was the answer, until he wasn't
    Ross was the answer, until he ran backwards.

This offense is a dumpster fire ... opposing defenses know this and scheme accordingly.
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think the duck is right.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My football knowledge is generally limited to madden. Bball is my cup of tea.

That being said, it sure seems to me that there isn't a true singular turd. There is so much going wrong that it literally piles on top of one another.

1) We have limited blocking, which hurts the QB, the RB

2) We have no RB, which hurts the QB and make the OL look worse

3) We have no WR, which really hurts the QB, doesn't help the RB and the OL still sucks

4) Our play calling is pop warner at best which hurts everyone. Our plays are nowhere near creative. Our substitutions essentially put a huge blinking light on the defense that says, "hey, here comes lindy, RUN" "Hey, we're going to do the read option but there isn't really an option it's just a dive out of the shotgun". "hey, here comes shaq, we're going to get him the ball"

5) Most importantly, all of the previous 4 make it incredibly easy for Defensive coordinators to stack the line when your OL doesn't block long enough for your untalented QB's to throw the ball downfield, and the WR's can't get separation or catch the ball anyhow. The defense really only needs to know 3 or 4 plays. Dive right and left(cough cough read option), screen(pick a variation). I can't remember a team who literally is ZERO threat to throw the ball over 10 yds. It's only getting worse as DC's are figuring it out. So we continue to get worse and make people look better.
  • Options
    Canard said:

I can't claim any football expertise because as a Ducks fan I only get to watch offense, but the UW offense's problems are manifold and I do see these problems:

1) no one has bothered to identify what this team can do well and keep doing it. Last night was revealing. Your team can power run between the tackles with a fair degree of competence. Take your limited QB play, Your limited lateral OL play, your mostly slow receiving corp and RBs and non existent TEs, and perhaps the power run game with PA passing should be the base offense? Nah.

2) no one identified and coached up any aspect of what your three QBs can actually do. Maybe this one should be number one, but scheme seems the bigger problem than any individual. I find it impossible to believe that there isn't any one thing that any of the QBs can manage with some degree of repeated competence. peenerman and company had all offseason to identify what any one of the QBs could accomplish and tailor the playbook to it. Did miles hating the 12s have a lot to do with the problem? No. The dependence on keeping Miley on the team fucked this up. Kick him to the curb in January and you get a cleaner excuse for poor QB play or justification for burning redshirt possibilities. Keeping miley, you're stuck looking like you can't coach a fuck up after deciding to keep him.

3) Not feeding John Ross. FS that he isn't given at least 15-20 touches that aren't reverses and other tipped off shit by personnel, down, or field position.

4) disappearing TEs and HBs in the passing game. With the shit downfield passing games of all three QBs and poor pass pro from the OL, a richer environment of targets in the short passing game would be helpful and the slant out of the slot and crossing routes should be a Ross staple. Even if your TEs suck as much as perceived, get them out there to set a pick for Ross.

5) continuity. Putting Shaq on O was unnecessary and FS. Not only did Shaq not do anything special that could have instead been done with DC, but it sends the entire O the message that they suck so hard that a linebacker has to bail their asses out.

6) blocking. Your blocking from all positions has regressed from last year. Changing the blocking schemes smacks of FS when the new one doesn't work with the current personnel.

Tl;dr The coaching staff on offense is mismanaging what it had to work with.

TL, BR

Point 1 ... The offense banged it all night and it finally started paying off in the fourth quarter against a good DL.

Point 3 ... John Ross likes to dance and try and make things happen.

the offense is simple ... don't fuck up and let the defense bail it out. Last night that strategy nearly worked.

Peterman gets three years, just like any coach should.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    Canard said:

I can't claim any football expertise because as a Ducks fan I only get to watch offense, but the UW offense's problems are manifold and I do see these problems:

1) no one has bothered to identify what this team can do well and keep doing it. Last night was revealing. Your team can power run between the tackles with a fair degree of competence. Take your limited QB play, Your limited lateral OL play, your mostly slow receiving corp and RBs and non existent TEs, and perhaps the power run game with PA passing should be the base offense? Nah.

2) no one identified and coached up any aspect of what your three QBs can actually do. Maybe this one should be number one, but scheme seems the bigger problem than any individual. I find it impossible to believe that there isn't any one thing that any of the QBs can manage with some degree of repeated competence. peenerman and company had all offseason to identify what any one of the QBs could accomplish and tailor the playbook to it. Did miles hating the 12s have a lot to do with the problem? No. The dependence on keeping Miley on the team fucked this up. Kick him to the curb in January and you get a cleaner excuse for poor QB play or justification for burning redshirt possibilities. Keeping miley, you're stuck looking like you can't coach a fuck up after deciding to keep him.

3) Not feeding John Ross. FS that he isn't given at least 15-20 touches that aren't reverses and other tipped off shit by personnel, down, or field position.

4) disappearing TEs and HBs in the passing game. With the shit downfield passing games of all three QBs and poor pass pro from the OL, a richer environment of targets in the short passing game would be helpful and the slant out of the slot and crossing routes should be a Ross staple. Even if your TEs suck as much as perceived, get them out there to set a pick for Ross.

5) continuity. Putting Shaq on O was unnecessary and FS. Not only did Shaq not do anything special that could have instead been done with DC, but it sends the entire O the message that they suck so hard that a linebacker has to bail their asses out.

6) blocking. Your blocking from all positions has regressed from last year. Changing the blocking schemes smacks of FS when the new one doesn't work with the current personnel.

This. Mora double penetrates Myles Jack because the UCLA offense is a dumpster fire and Peterman joins his high school coaching colleague and now playing guys both ways (straight and gay) is becoming a PAC12 dreck fest trend. I'm no foosball expert, but this smacks of desperation. May work against lower division and weaker conference opponents, but not so well in conference. Shaq is a great athlete and my comments are not directed at him. It is bad coaching. Trying to shore up a team weakness by taking a player away from his greatest strength is fucking stupid.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Canard said:

ANALYZE MY OFFENSE YOU DUCK!!!!1111!!!
  • Options

Canard said:

This. Mora double penetrates Myles Jack because the UCLA offense is a dumpster fire and Peterman joins his high school coaching colleague and now playing guys both ways (straight and gay) is becoming a PAC12 dreck fest trend. I'm no foosball expert, but this smacks of desperation. May work against lower division and weaker conference opponents, but not so well in conference. Shaq is a great athlete and my comments are not directed at him. It is bad coaching. Trying to shore up a team weakness by taking a player away from his greatest strength is fucking stupid.
    Playing Myles both ways was a good idea when he was winning ... everyone said so.

Shaq and Cooper are the two best RB's we have.

If Washington ran like Shaq ... we'd all be happy.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,073
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Canard said:

This is actually pretty good.