Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

QB discussion. Coaching or Talent

HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited October 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
Cyler Miles is a noodle armed QB that is rumored to be able to run but suffers from severe brain lock and has obviously been coached to not use his best asset, his legs

Nearly everything Miles does as a QB is wrong, his mechanics are horrible, he gets brain lock, he is nonathletic when scrambling out of the pocket, drops his eyes, and he doesnt set his feet properly after play action or when rolling out. This guy has obviously never been actually taught anything other than just be athletic and do "stuff". To be fair Miles has done a decent job limiting turnovers and is decent at the option read.

Miles suffers from the deadly combo of shitty previous coaching, mediocre skill and a new scheme that has obviously coached him to only run as a absolute last resort. The coaches need to realize that Miles not running is the worst QB in the pac12. They need to change the scheme completely. If Miles gets hurt WGAF, plug in the next bad QB and run him too. Miles failure so far lies with everybody, Sark, Miles, and Chris Petermen. (experienced readers will note that blaming assistant coaches for huge failures like correctly using a starting QB is fucking stupid).

Jeff Lindquist is an inaccurate QB in the mold of RonnieRainbow and Hannah Montanas brother. Is he really that much worse than a non-running Miles? I don’t think so.

Lindquist is Lindquist, a career Pac12 backup QB with little to offer, future Tulane starting QB

Troy Williams is a relative unknown at this point; he appeared to actually want to play football against the Ducks and threw with some zip on the ball. Williams has a decently quick release and his mechanics aren't completely FS. That is better than Miles or Lindquist. Williams provides the most upside, we know what Miles and Lindquist are going to give us and its not ever going to be good enough.

Future: Miles really doesnt look like a guy who is going to improve enough. We should move forward with Williams NOW. There will be a few growing pains and turnovers but an anemic 3 and out offense with a QB that clearly isnt going to develop into what we need is worse. I expect Lindquist to transfer away this offseason. With KJ Karta Samuels and Jake Browning this group just needs time to develop the raw talent that is there.

Comments

• Options
    The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Something I noticed on a few balls yesterday was Williams seem to have a sidearm throwing motion. Reminded me of Mike Vick. I don't know if that's a problem. I didn't see any replay so I could be wrong.
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Look at Kessler down at USC.

Sark is better at developing QBs

*not my real take, but watch this meme take hold soon,
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Look at Kessler down at USC.

Sark is better at developing QBs

*not my real take, but watch this meme take hold soon,

Awesome'd for correct usage of the word "meme".
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Play Troy. The end. Miles sucks, Lindy was horrible. Play Troy.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Only disagreement with the OP is the statement that Miles looks good running the read option. If he was good at it then he would have run for 150 yards last night. The Ducks ignored him when we ran it and he handed it off anyways with nothing but green turf in front of him.

Miles is mediocre to bad in every aspect of playing QB. Even his speed is highly overrated.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

Only disagreement with the OP is the statement that Miles looks good running the read option. If he was good at it then he would have run for 150 yards last night. The Ducks ignored him when we ran it and he handed it off anyways with nothing but green turf in front of him.

Miles is mediocre to bad in every aspect of playing QB. Even his speed is highly overrated.

I havent re watched the Oregon game but against Stanford every single read on the option play he read correctly.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,993
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If you're going to keep playing Miles we have to do a better job of incorporating him into the running game. The problem there is that he doesn't scare anybody by throwing. He obviously lacks a top-end arm, much less an average one (see deep ball versus Cal). Add to this fact that we don't have a good running back anymore, and we aren't even a one dimensional team on offense anymore, we're like 1/3 of one dimensional aka get John Ross the fucking football. Sure Miles might not turn the ball over (until Joey "I only know how to yell" Harrington mentions he hasn't thrown any picks this year five times) as much as someone like Williams, but Miles isn't going to win games for you either. Miles has a well-documented freezing problem, where you looks mind-fucked and dumbfounded -- classic Sark behavior.

I'd rate Miles in the bottom 1/4 of the Pac as far as QBs go, and by your RS Sophomore year that's probably as good as you're going to be. With what we see from Miles, no thank you. I hesitate to lay blame right now on Jonathon Smith because it's so obvious that Miles isn't a serviceable QB at the Pac level.

Besides on-field issues you have the off-field crap with String (who?), and the rep of being a weed fanatic. Allegedly. Roll the dice with Troy Williams and always bet on black.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,526
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I noticed Williams' side-arm motion on a few of his throws though it seemed it was more situational due to the receivers running short crossing routes (changing the angle of his throw to release it faster and get it there).

I didn't see him in fall ball but remember liking his high-school throwing motion and he looked liked the most natural QB on the roster when I watched him in the spring game.

He also is a much better runner than Miles. Better vision, better instincts, better acceleration, and better speed. He also has a strong arm and got his feet wet throwing the ball 10 times and running 5 times yesterday (nice TD run).
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795

Play Troy. The end. Miles sucks, Lindy was horrible. Play Troy.

Pickett sucks. Play Paus.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Miles looks like a natural wideout to me. Time to play Stanback Williams.