Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter

I love the Dooging optimism but please be considering:

-Our best road win with an all-time team last year was at Arizona (a very serious Arizona), or at USC which refused to field a defense, or at Beav which was Beav.

-This year we play at Oregon and Penn State which are equal or better than 2023 Arizona. We also play at Iowa which refuses to field an offense but is probably a better team than 2023 USC/Beav. Rutgers is entirely possible to be in the same realm as 2023 USC/Beav.

-Our team is not going to be as good as last year. Michigan won't be a bad team.

Yes those 5 teams are entirely possible to be overhyped but lets not kid ourselves

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,357 Founders Club

I thought I was kind of a wet blanket. I'm predicting 5-7 after all.

I was referring to your colleague's dooging. I think I had us at 5 losses in the other thread, but I think 7 losses is more likely an outcome than 2.

• JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,544 Founders Club

Not terrified of middling B1G teams

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,132
    edited August 15

whlindler also said:

I love the Dooging optimism but please be considering:

-Our best road win with an all-time team last year was at Arizona (a very serious Arizona), or at USC which refused to field a defense, or at Beav which was Beav.

-This year we play at Oregon and Penn State which are equal or better than 2023 Arizona. We also play at Iowa which refuses to field an offense but is probably a better team than 2023 USC/Beav. Rutgers is entirely possible to be in the same realm as 2023 USC/Beav.

-Our team is not going to be as good as last year. Michigan won't be a bad team.

Yes those 5 teams are entirely possible to be overhyped but lets not kid ourselves.

1. You can only play what's on the schedule. The only other road games last year were stanfraud and michigan state.

2. There are a lot of possibilities between 10-2 and 5-7 which I don't think are the only two choices available. It will be very hard to go 10-2 but 7-5 or 8-4 not so much.

9-3 (imho) is more likely than 5-7.

3. 5-7 is a fireable (on the tarmac) offense.

(FUCK YOU VANILLA)

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,250 Swaye's Wigwam

I could see the team going 5-7 while actually being solid and well-coached. It's college football/sports and bad luck, injuries and bad matchups, etc happen. Last year's team is a good example. They could have been a 14-1 team, but they also could have dropped some stupid games during the season or the first one to the Ducks and injuries played into that. 2019 is another good example. That easily could have been a CFP team but they were tight and got bad breaks and lost five fucking games. It's why fans and coaches of teams that aren't generationally elite (think the most recent Georgia national champions, 2019 LSU) having hubris is so ridiculous.

I certainly wouldn't predict 5-7 though and agree something like 9-3 is more likely. Playing in the Big 10 is a huge unknown though so that makes me much less confident than usual.

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,132
    edited August 15

I guess that is the point of the thread. New coach, new players, new conference. Who fucking knows? While it takes some blind faith, I like Jedd's track record (until he leaves UW as he will). I think we look good everywhere (depth is problem) except OL and that could become okay over the course of the first 5 (sb) gimmie (maybe not rutgers) games. It feels good to doog again and to actually have company.

• JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,544 Founders Club

It sucks because I know the whole time it wasn’t Ricky Bell but couldn’t get Ricky Bells name out of my head

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

Couldn't unring the bell

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam

Unlike DeBoer's wife, I hope that Fisch's wife who obviously has more sway is able to tell him fuck No to any job that isn't a stable one in So Cal/Texas/Florida. Being a coordinator in the NFL is not stable.

I'm not sure that applies to all fan bases. Big-12 fan bases will continue to get the older fans to stay committed. They understand their place in the world and will still support their school and program.

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,786 Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah Fisch doesn’t seem like a guy who would take an NFL coordinator position unless he had to. He’s not a young man. His next stop is NFL head coach or potentially a more highly visible college head coach.

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,250 Swaye's Wigwam

Fair. You've talked me out of it. Fisch also has that country club swinger vibe which makes me think he might actually kind of be into the chase that is college football.

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,780 Founders Club

good pod, pods.