Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offseason Natty Rankings- Big Ten Coach Rankings

WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,706
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam

I'm craving preseason rankings. Problem is it's fucking so hard now to do it with a giant conference with a bunch of schools I do nothing about and the portal and whatever fucking Island of Dr. Moreau shit fucksticks have turn college football into. We call a conference the Big 10 that has fucking 18 teams in it, two of which is Rutgers and Maryland, for some reason.

Ranking coaches is fun though and the Big 10 has an interesting group. In my mind there's a clear number one and then 2-like 11 could be put in any order.

1. Luke Fickell Wisconsin - The media and cfb are so fast now to dismiss and hype up given small samples. He had Cincinnati in the playoff not long ago. Needs more Tim at Wisconsin to not be here given how middling and questionable the rest of this field is.
  2. Kirk Ferentz Iowa - Is he the Whittingham of the Big 10? Yeah, but he's consistent at a job that isn't that easy, has an identity and producers pros.
  3. James Franklin Penn State- He gets hated on because he's a dork or whatever. But took Vandy to heights basically impossible and has been high consistently at Pedo State which was irrelevant for like 20 years before.
  4. Matt Rhule Nebraska - Another guy I think is a goon but has a good college track record at hard places who gets marked down for NFL failure and a bad year at Nebraska last year.
  5. Lincoln Riley USC - I don't know what to do with this guy. He has done so much but didn't build it and has looked shitty at USC in my opinion. Eh.
  6. PJ Fleck Minnesota - He's corny as fuck and was overrated for a while but making Minnesota a consistent winner is like making Cal a consistent winner.
  7. Jonathan Smith Michigan State - Winning consistently at the Beav after how bad they had tanked was impressive. I don't think he's a top flight guy but will always be a consistent winner and get a lot out of his teams.
  8. Dan Lanning Oregon - Oregon the past 10-15 years probably competes with Ohio State as the easy job in cfb. I think we find out a lot about his this year. His biggest strength to me so far is having the maturity to seem just hire good young OCs and let them do their job.
  9. Greg Schiano Rutgers - Yes, he has an overall losing record but Rutgers is one of the hardest jobs in P5.
  10. Jedd Fisch Washington - Doing what he did at Arizona last year and building it up from the shocking ruins it was when he took over is impressive. This year is a show me year for him.
  11. Ryan Day Ohio State - Beard-dying CHUD.
  12. Curt Cignetti Indiana - Great things at lower levels. Could he be a DeBoar?
  13. Bret Bielema Illinois - Tub of goo.
  14. Mike Locksley Maryland - Been solid at Maryland (a tough job) the past couple of years. Holy hell he was bad at New Mexico.
  15. Ryan Walters Purdue - Who knows?
  16. Sherrone Moore Michigan - Is it a good idea to promote the OC of that offense. Me thinks no but we'll see. He is set up well in 2024 though.
  17. David Braun Northwestern - Who knows?
  18. Deshaun Foster UCLA - UCLA gave up on football. Who knows?

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,338
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

2024 NFL Draft picks

1 Michigan 13

2 Texas 11

3 UW, BAMA, FSU 10

4 Quooks, Georgia, PSU 8

Penn State finished worst amongst those teams. 2023- 6 draft picks, 2022 had 8, 2021 had 6, 2020 had 5, 2019 & 2018 had 6.

It's always the offensive coordinators fault for their failures.

He's good enough to never get fired but is never going to win anything either. His best seasons are beating Pac-12 #3 Utah last year, winning the B1G once and running into Sam Darnold living for moments like these, trying to lose the Fiesta to cardboard cutout Pete, and probably some other NY6 win that was forgettable.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,655
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

How many of those coaches would have succeeded at 0-6 Arizona going into 2021 with Pac 12 media claiming that it's become a worse job than Washington State?

That list is probably 1 or 2 coaches. I'm sure Lanning would have built a 10 win monster there though.

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,489
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

No way does anyone rank Smith ahead of Fisch, after Babushka ran that fake FG twice before the half and lost by 3

Even if he wins a natty at MSU, he'll still be below Fisch

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I still think the hating on Franklin is too high, especially when you look at who else is on this list. Especially since the program was shortly removed from the pedo death penalty a few years before. Will be interesting to see if they can slide up if Michigan slips post-Harbaugh.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think we will truly find out about Smith at Michigan State. It might be the best "little brother" school in the nation. The bar was super low at Oregon State and the try hard schools in the Pac-12 (Beav, Coug, Utah) benefitted from the softness of the California schools and no one ever getting up to play them.

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,504
    Founders Club

Not a particularly impressive list. Day being so low is interesting, but he does less with more than nearly anyone. I legitimately forgot Schiano is back at Rutgers. Franklin is an ass, but the Pedos are in the top 15 damn near every year. I’ve never heard of some of these goons.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sports, like a lot of things in life, I guess, can setup coaches to win who aren't really that good. Orgeron coached one of the best teams in the sport's history and I think he's a shitty head coach. Fisch easily falls into the category of guys who has proven he can win coming into a very difficult situation and that shows a lot. Whereas I wouldn't have a drip of confidence in someone like Riley, Day or Lanning doing that.

• Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,828
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ferentz too high. Puts nepotism above winning.

Fleck way too high. Dude is a clown. I’d rank fat Burt over him. He’s 3-0 vs. Row Boat Clown while at Illinois.

Schiano too low. Look at Rutgers record without him vs. with him.

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,142
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I do hate Ryan Day's beard.

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,601
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 14

These offseason cFB Twitter losers are stepping up their game this offseason. Whittingham over DeBoer is almost funnier than Lanning above him and that high. Was no Fickell in the Top 30 a legit just brain fart?

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,207
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Rhule is far too high in my opinion. One good season 5 years ago and a couple of disasters since. He's a one hit wonder until proven otherwise.

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,601
    Founders Club
    edited May 14

Whittingham deserves top 10. I just can't get over Lanning at #3. DeBoer is #9, 104-12 as a HC, 5-0 against coaches ranked ahead of him, and 3-0 against Lanning who has been a head coach for 2 years and is 1-4 against his rivals. Got a big win over Liberty though.

And this is a fuggin' national 247/CBS Sports guy. This stuff breeds skepticism in me that some of these writers/analysts might be on the take from the flock. I'm not sayin, I'm jussayin.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,406
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 14

How does Lanning get ranked ahead of DeBoner?

Edit: I realize now that Brandon Marcello is a retard and there are too many stupid things going on with this list to count.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,406
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

As for Woolley's list, my only take is that if Fisch is only No. 10 on that list of chuckleheads, UW is in a world of hurt.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lost in the Lanning lunacy is Day at #2 for anything other than beard dye usage. Well then, he's #1.

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,041
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

whittingham lost to jimmy lake, nuff said on that.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

That list looks pretty bizarre with no Harbaugh and Saban on it. Other than Kirby (and maybe burned out Dabo) there are no guarantees on there, just a lot of guys who can win 10 games.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 15

The truth is pretty damn debatable after Kirby since mainstays are getting out of the monstrosity college football is becoming. I'll focus my ire here simply having Lanning ahead of DeBoer when DB went 3-0 in games that were chess matches after taking over a program that had gone 4-8 and really had been a disaster for almost 5 years at that point. Though now the narrative is that Lanning didn't have UW's talent the past two years.

Also hilarious Crisco doesn't make the Top 30 when he did more at Oregon and faster than Lanning and took over a much tougher situation.

Also gotta remember Crisco was the one bringing the SEC to the west coast and building a monster in Eugene.