Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Carbon Emissions since 2000

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The latest name is human accelerated climate change

Or bullshit as we like to say. You have no solution. No cost benefits. Just bullshit about caring

JFC you idiots have been peddling this crap since the 70s

China isn't taking it seriously because they know it's bullshit that gives them a huge advantage

That is a fact

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

@CallMeBigErn Quantify the human effect of climate change. Nobody else I've ever asked has. Since you claim to have a science background, you're more supposedly more qualified than many. There were many doomsday predictions of global warming going back 35 years or so now. Since few, if any ever came to fruition, why should anyone take it seriously?

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited April 24

It can, yes, at a higher price for future generations. And we've come full circle.

R&D in this arena is essential, Throbby. It's plain and simple. You don't just wait for a car to almost hit you before you jump out of the way at the last second. This is what progressing as a species is. Preparation, advancement, development, positive change. All things we should strive for, I would hope, individually and collectively. Ground-breaking new tech happens all the time. Industrial changes have happened before and they will happen again. Why is this such a thorny topic of contention? We're the greatest nation on earth and should be on the forefront of EVERYTHING. That's what we do. The big bugaboo in all this is oil and gas special interests and why transition has been slow. That's a whole 'nother topic.

Do you guys all work in the mines? Houston? I'm a geophysics major, I know all about Shell/Chevron/the like. They had some nice recruitment presentations at my internship. They bought us all nice lunches.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 24

Whatever 35 year Doomsday scenario psychobabble you saw or read was simply incorrect, taken out of context, a wildly extreme position, clickbait, what have you. This shit doesn't happen over 35 years. It's been happening since the Industrial Revolution and will continue unabated if not curbed and the impact will be felt more and more annually. We're seeing a rapidly increasing rate of change (remember derivatives?) over the last few decades, setting abnormality records (they aren't natural cycles so don't start) yearly, you'd be amazed if ya kept an open mind to what scientific discovery, scientific process, etc, is. We are already seeing effects. No they aren't the doomsday scenarios you guys fantasize about ripping apart, but they are very real and dramatic, on a global scale, cost $$$, and are getting worse. We are hitting points of no return, genuinely. The effects are self-reinforcing, for example, the shrinking ice caps (yes, its happening) shrinks the earth's overall albedo (how much light is reflected off the surface of the earth). Less ice, less reflection = more absorption, increased water temps in the polar regions, increased melting = increased sea rise, increased polar water temps = frozen ocean currents from the equator = altered meteorological patterns, increased extreme events, wildfire, floods, more damaging and frequent hurricanes/tornados, drought, etc, etc. It's all connected and even though it's already been established that there's serious impacts from this, we still learn more every day. That's one of many examples of impact that is happening currently. If you want to talk about future generations, it's pretty ugly. Sea rise is real, it has increased, no it hasn't put NYC underwater, you loons. We're talking inches here, but that's over decades, which is EXTREMELY fast. Even so, these inches have already been ruionous. Low lying islands around the globe know. I could go on and on, but I've said enough. There's so much depth to this subject, it's not really serious to have me educate anyone on anything. I can only give the big picture. It's a disservice to science to learn what is happening in a few sentences. Same with politics. Same with anything.

If you truly want to learn about the impact, in good faith, with an open mind, I can send you down some fantastic rabbit holes. I just don't see that willingness in here, unfortunately. I try to be level headed but ya'll make it rather difficult.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 24

By some measures, yes. It's true. 99.99% By other measures it's 99%+, so don't get lost in the weeds, Oregon. It's not exactly a hard and fast number, but it's essentially a universally accepted truth in the sciences, so who cares?

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 24

Race, sensationalist headlines have been a thing since the dawn of news. You post them every day. What's the difference? Time magazine covers have zero bearing on what's happening. You're building strawmen.

• Options
    Founders Club

I meant to say rate of rate of change. 2nd order derivative. Pardon me, fellow dorks.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,874
    edited April 24

Show us the grass. 99.9% is the weeds! Total lie. Complete fabrication. Or you would have posted it.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 24

It's been called human-accelerated climate change, but that's not necessarily a common usage I don't think. I like it though. I don't like to say climate change because as you say, it does change naturally. It really is more descriptive of the issue. "Global cooling" wasn't accurate (although I'm about to research wtf this is). "Global warming" (although this is the overall trend) wasn't accurate because of the variability everyday citizens experience (hotter temps in one place, colder temps in another), "climate change" is meaningless because it is a naturally occuring process, etc. It's just a term. Don't fret.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,874

Trell me why it's 5 degrees cooler than 2024 years ago.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 24

Gladly, but let's not argue semantics here. You're missing the point. If interested, have a read about the history of the scientific consensus on climate change

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus_on_climate_change

Here's a study if that's more your style.

Greater than 99% consensus on human caused climate change in the peer-reviewed scientific literature

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966

Terrible title to this study, but its the thought that counts. The big idea is, there is no doubt. And you should start at least thinking like that is the truth, because it is. It won't hurt you. It won't bite.

Cheers.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 24

Show me where it was 5 degrees warmer 2024 years ago. I'm itching to see this conclusion so I can eviscerate it.

• Options
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 24

I almost forgot a law of thermodynamics when I failed to mention thermal expansion. Simply, water expands as it warms, all the way through the gaseous phase. Fills a larger volume. Why that happens might bore you. A lot of this is basic stuff you see in your kitchen though. This is approximately half of the contribution to sea level rises alongside polar ice melt.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fringe positions = mainstream democrat leaders and the UN and the EU

Right

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

So Ern give us a recap on where the money Inslee has taken from working people at 50 cents a gallon and how it has changed anything, What specifically is it being spent on

And tell us about how forcing people to get rid of natural gas for electricity when there isn't enough electricity being generated now and add in everyone charging their cars and facing thousands of dollars to do so will help and how will it help

Then do disposal of batteries and panels and windmills. And calculate the cost of child labor raping Africa for the raw materials to put money in China's pocket

Because you care

We'll wait

• Options
    EverettChrisEverettChris Member Posts: 1,615
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

If a person can’t see how these garbage climate policies tie into controlling the means of production, and how turning away from inexpensive carbon energy to costly (and unreliable) “renewables” drives up prices to impact the poor and middle-class the most, I’m not going to entertain any ideas that the Earth for mankind will end.

It’s stupid, and the fact that there are literally thousands of predictive models shows the inaccuracy of any forecasting.

Continue to be stupid, cover your home with dozens of solar panels for all I care (which need carbon energy to be made), but stop mandating your Leftist religion on the masses via government.