Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW was 2 plays away from possibly winning a national title

124»

Comments

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

After the first few plays I never had the feeling that UW would find a way to win. Only other times I felt like UW was definitely going to lose was when Oregon had the ball and the lead late in their first meeting and when Texas was on the doorstep late in the Sugar Bowl. Fortunately I didn’t feel that way very long in those games.

The Michigan game was different.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's all easier if you just have the coug menality about it that UW got their asses kicked, they're going to regret the Apple deal, and they'll be last in the B1G forever…

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

For those that are taking words and reading into them something that isn’t there …

UW got to the Natty game by relying on a lot of recruits from the end of the Petersen era (and to a far lesser extent the Lake era) with limited DeBoer era recruits. HS recruiting was largely de-emphasized by both DeBoer and those “funding” the NIL space as those paying the money wanted the direct “show me the return”

I’ve argued for years that relying on the portal is not a winning strategy and that is largely been shown out as some of the most successful programs have a heavy reliance on recruiting and development.

The portal is great for 2 things … 1) incentivizing players to stay an extra year while getting paid and improving their draft stock and 2) filling holes and gaps on your roster.

When I talk about “everything is fine and remain with the status quo” it’s talking about the mindset of some wanting to over-index on the portal. It is talking about the people responsible for providing feedback that there is “donor fatigue” in terms of NIL. It is talking about those that are critical of NIL and recruiting because there’s the chance the player may not develop and it being “wasted money” because those people are framing recruiting and results wrong.

The DOOG mindset sees the 2023 season as the blueprint going forward. They see how close UW was and rationalize how if everything went according to plan that a Natty gets won. They don’t acknowledge where there were roster gaps (and there were many) that either resulted in insufficient depth OR insufficient JAG talent.

Where I challenge that mindset is in saying that while UW had opportunities to win a Natty it DOES NOT hide the fact that the 2023 team had some significant gaps on it and that if we want Washington to be a program that is in the conversation to reach and win in the playoffs going forward that we need to continue to evolve and improve. 2023 was wetting the beak and an appetizer. 2023 wasn’t a sign that the work is even close to being done …

And BTW that last part is true whether DeBoer stayed or left

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oh my fucking god.

No one sees 2023 as a blueprint you self-indulgent fucking doog.

• Options

The ouster of Dannen and the hiring of a Jen-approved AD highlights that there are still a lot of powerful voices and bank accounts tied into UW Athletics that is much more in the camp of "we're on the right path" versus "there's still a lot of work to do"

It's not hard to see which side of things the biggest fucktard on this board @haie falls

Why is @haie the biggest fucktard around this place?

You call me self-indulgent … I honestly don't give a shit about whether I'm right or not. What I care about is making sure that whatever it is that I'm putting my effort in on gets to the best possible outcome no matter what. If that is your goal then you must check any ego that you have at the door because the collective is always stronger than the individual and only the most egotistical people in the world see themselves as right all the time.

The true definition of a DOOG is someone that makes excuses for performance and highlights that what's being done is "good enough" … it's a word that can get thrown around way too easily if you're lazy and lack critical understanding. You're not a DOOG if you set high expectations and have a realistic understanding of what it takes to achieve those expectations and can be honest about what occurred to either meet, exceed, or fall short of those targets. You're not a DOOG if your mindset is tied into continuous improvement and looking for ways to constantly get better.

You can call me a lot of things but the one thing I'm fairly confident in saying is that I have a long-term track record of pushing the envelope on what is possible for UW and how to push itself to continuously get better. That covers saying that coaches aren't the right fit. That covers being honest about players and their abilities. That covers being willing to have hard conversations as to why goals and expectations weren't met.

I'm happy to be proven wrong in a good way … that's something you'll never comprehend with your jaded petty glasses on

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I actually bailed several chapters ago, so I don't know what you're trying to to say at this point.

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,533
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

It would be hard to find a sports run harder to replicate than UW's the past two years and it's one part of why I savored it so much and didn't waste any energy worrying about if DeBoer was gonna stick around. As said, it wasn't going to be easy sledding with him around anyway. UW is going to need a lot of breaks to win a natty or even just get back to one. I think part of why this thread exists and I keep going back to it is UW did get a break getting Michigan in the natty and not a almost any other team that has won a natty this millennium and I don't agree they needed to play some perfect game to win.

The portal is overrated and the rare proven commodities are almost never even considering Washington. Huskies best shot is investing in HS recruiting the way they are again and hoping the state starts producing better players again and they don't all for some reason have to have some ax to grind with UW.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    Swaye's Wigwam

You're not wrong, it's just that you're arguing with nobody. Who here thinks that UW's 2023 roster management is the blueprint moving forward and not dumb luck? We can disagree about rematch odds, but that's just jerking off. The real substance of your argument is you punching at a straw man.

• Options

Fair comment

There was a decent amount early in the thread tied to how close UW was winning and there has been a fair amount that I’ve seen across all mediums that have championed the path that was taken over the last few years as being the right path. When I see the AD changes and hearing about the money being burned out that concerns me …

That and my disdain for a particular poster is fairly obvious

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,533
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 9

These are good points. I would say the first drive worked too and Penix just missed Odunze open for a TD. Throw in the drive when he missed Odunze for the TD or huge gain on fourth down. It's part of why I'm not on the whole needed a perfect game narrative. The plays were there. Penix just didn't execute.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Grubb didn't lose the game. There were plays to be made but UW sucked that night and Michigan played smart.

Harbaugh outcoached DeBoner, whose mind was in Tuscaloosa.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I wouldn't say Grubb lost the game but it's still accurate to say that the game plan didn't give UW a chance. It could have easily gone differently if they had tried to dink and dunk their way down the field, especially early.

Having more than one competent running back might have made a big difference too.

• Options
    EverettChrisEverettChris Member Posts: 1,560
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited April 10
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,055
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 10

Michigan ran for 300 fucking yards. They scored more points in 1 quarter, TWICE, than UW did the entire game.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    Swaye's Wigwam

Bump after three first rounders and a second in the top 47 picks. Certain bust McCarthy at 10 is it for Michigan so far, and below both Penix and Odunze. Huskies laid an egg.