Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW was 2 plays away from possibly winning a national title

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,499
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If we were up by just a td and gave Michigan the ball to start the half + 3 other straight possessions because our offense wasn't doing anything, I wouldn't be claiming "34-13" I would simply be claiming "Winners Win". We did very similar shit to almost everyone else we played, where the game were tight in the 4th quarter and we made a play or two to break away at the end.

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,573
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Seemed more like seven plays away, but okay

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Your opinion of me isn’t based on any kind of reality … says a lot about you

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,545
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

How in the fuck did WE give up 28 points to Utah in a half btw?

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,499
    Swaye's Wigwam

Halftime of that game + the Apple Cup were my most miserable breaks of the season. Standing in concourse drinking and thinking about Utah or WSU ending our undefeated season. Both those coaching staffs had probably had a bunch of stuff saved for our defense that they hadn't shown all year.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,292
    Standard Supporter

The team played "off" that day. It felt like almost all of them. Michigan played well.

Michigan played in the Rose Bowl and flew on a chartered 747 back to Detroit the same night. Not some piece of shit 747; a tricked out VIP 747 with 143 business class seats, so large humans can stretch and rest.

We spent the night in New Orleans and flew back on Alaska 737s. I don't know how the team does seating for those things, but there are 12 first class seats and only 1 row is the first row behind first class. We seemed to use 2 planes for travel, so not sure if the team splits in 2 or if the second flight is support staff and others. Those seats are not optimal for large humans to rest and recover.

So now we start 1 day behind Michigan on recovery and walk off the plane "tighter" than Michigan did.

Three days later we flew to Houston, as did Michigan. Houston is about half as far from Detroit as it is from Seattle. Michigan once again flew in the luxury 747. We once again flew in coach on Alaska, luckily avoiding the Max which lost its door plug I think on the same day. We get off more tired and then both teams have to do the media grind since it is the natty, which is VERY different than a typical road game of fly in day before, do your business and fly home.

There are a lot of reasons we lost the football game, but we did not help ourselves by going back to Seattle between games and then cramming our boys into regular coach seats so they could try to win a natty when we started out with a rest disadvantage due to the Sugar Bowl being the second game on New Year's day in an inconvenient time zone.

I've also posted on here in the past about bowl charters for major bowl games which are frequently widebody international planes (777s or A350s with 50+ business class seats on United or Delta), and we roll up to the natty in an Alaska 737 because they sponsor the field.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

UW had the ability to beat Michigan … in my mind if they play that game 10 times UW probably wins it somewhere between 3 and 5 times

The travel schedule was hot garbage … I had heard about it prior to the team leaving to NOLA and it's not what I would have done but also obviously not my call

But if we're really being honest, it really highlights how you view the UW program right now

If you're in the camp of saying that UW was in the title game, had plenty of opportunities to beat Michigan, and it took a crap game by UW to not win … then you probably think everything is generically fine moving forward

If you're in the camp of thinking that UW could have pulled out the title but there's still work to be done to build the program … then you're going to highlight the key advantages that Michigan had in the game, that they didn't have to go outside of their comfort zone, that UW needed better depth in key spots (notably at RB, DL, and LB), that our travel decisions were questionable for whatever reason, etc.

When you compare where UW is as a program compared to the top programs in the Big10 and the SEC, there is still a lot of room for growth and improvement

Regardless of what your final takeaway from 2023 is, it really shouldn't be debatable that there's a long way to go to be on par with the elite programs. UW being a big fish in a relatively shallow Pac12 waters is going to have some interesting times ahead as it directly (vs indirectly) competes with bigger programs.

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,268
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

The gayme is different now, the doog take is we hired a bunch of Mercs, bumfuck cornfield sleazy car dealership bags< Seattle market bags =

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 6

If you're in the camp of saying that UW was in the title game, had
    plenty of opportunities to beat Michigan, and it took a crap game by UW
    to not win … then you probably think everything is generically fine
    moving forward

Uh… no.

Did you miss the part where the entire coaching staff, AD, and every player on the team left shortly after the game? Or the part where two-thirds of the impact players that made the run possible weren't recruited by DeBoer and the only ones that were came via the portal? Even had DeBoer stayed, what was left in the cupboards would have been scary this year.

It didn't take a crap game by UW to lose to Michigan because the program is elite and everything is fine moving foward, it took a crap game by UW to lose to Michigan because—via a lot of luck and circumstance—UW randomly found itself with the better team. Of course there were holes on the roster, but not every position is created equal, and UW was a MILLION times better at the two most important in modern football. Ask any NFL coach if they'd rather have 22 solid guys or John Elway and Randy Moss, and they're going to tell you the latter. Nobody expected Penix to be as good as he was, and what a lucky break that DeBoer just happened to be his OC at Indiana. Nobody expected Penix, Odunze, McMillan, and both tackles to stay, but holy shit they did! It was a perfect storm.

My win prediction prior to the season (I think 7 or 8) was a hedge that Penix would probably break in half within five games. If he didn't, I assumed they would go in dry against the PAC-12, as it's been decades since UW fielded that much top-level talent. It was always temporary, though, not UW suddenly becoming Bama.

Besides, college football itself is broken, so I stopped giving a shit anyway if UW is "generally fine moving forward."

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Jim Harbaugh had one foot out the door at UM for years and everyone knows it. This thread is king doog bullshit.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Harbaugh wasn't negotiating with the Chargers in the days leading up to the natty

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 6

Knowing the you're leaving long-term and having a final hurrah game is much different than a under the radar operation like DeBoer had going on. If anything the war against Harbaugh all season seemed to rally that team. Also, fuck Ohio State for not being able to successfully get Michigan suspended during the season. You guys are really cool.