Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Don Brown named as UW DC is what I’m hearing

13»

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I'd be good with this hire. Don Brown coached for Fisch in 2021 before taking the UMass HC job. The potential hire may not have enough SIZZLE for you some of year but that doesn't always translate to hard hitting defenses that fly around. Plus:

"Coaching philosophy

Brown is regarded as one of the top defensive minds in the country. He has led FBS programs to close to a dozen top-10 national finishes in total defense, with three of those seasons in the top three. He is known for coaching aggressive, high-energy, hard-hitting defenses. Sometimes nicknamed “Dr. Blitz” for his defenses always being on the attack, he is also known for being a players' coach. He believes in players taking accountability for themselves and each other, and in leaders rising as a result. Brown stresses discipline, technique, and fundamentally sound football.[18]

Development
    Brown is known for maximizing players' potential and developing players to the next level. He has coached over 50 All-Big Ten and numerous other all-conference players. He has coached numerous NFL players and coached seven All-Americans: Devin Bush Jr., Lavert Hill, Chase Winovich, Chris Wormley, and consensus picks Maurice Hurst Jr., Jourdan Lewis, and Jabrill Peppers. At UMass he coached NFL players such as Victor Cruz, James Ihedigbo, Jeremy Cain, Emil Igwenagu, and Vladimir Ducasse."
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    HFNY said:

I'd be good with this hire. Don Brown coached for Fisch in 2021 before taking the UMass HC job. The potential hire may not have enough SIZZLE for you some of year but that doesn't always translate to hard hitting defenses that fly around. Plus:

"Coaching philosophy

Brown is regarded as one of the top defensive minds in the country. He has led FBS programs to close to a dozen top-10 national finishes in total defense, with three of those seasons in the top three. He is known for coaching aggressive, high-energy, hard-hitting defenses. Sometimes nicknamed “Dr. Blitz” for his defenses always being on the attack, he is also known for being a players' coach. He believes in players taking accountability for themselves and each other, and in leaders rising as a result. Brown stresses discipline, technique, and fundamentally sound football.[18]

Development
    Brown is known for maximizing players' potential and developing players to the next level. He has coached over 50 All-Big Ten and numerous other all-conference players. He has coached numerous NFL players and coached seven All-Americans: Devin Bush Jr., Lavert Hill, Chase Winovich, Chris Wormley, and consensus picks Maurice Hurst Jr., Jourdan Lewis, and Jabrill Peppers. At UMass he coached NFL players such as Victor Cruz, James Ihedigbo, Jeremy Cain, Emil Igwenagu, and Vladimir Ducasse."

Both Michigan and Arizona got better after he left
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

TheHB said:

If it was between Brown and Inge/Morrell, count me among those willing to give the former an opportunity

Morrell adjusted well in the 2nd half, particularly in the last 4 to 5 games played. First DC to do that in awhile, probably since Kwat.

D stepped up big in the NC game & got critical stops. O then shit the bed multiple times until the D was worn down.

Lots of legitimate shit talked about Morrell, fair enough. But he at least had his head in the game as they wore on.
    Ffs the defense couldn't line up right or maintain a gap in the National fucking championship game for the first quarter and is a huge reason we lost. That was embarrassing. They should not be running a defense with the budget of Washington.
    Did the Defense improve throughout the NC game, or didn't it? Did they get critical stops against the NC when they needed them, or didn't they?

And did the Defense not do the same all season, especially in the last 4 or 5 games?

Make no mistake, I'm not *praising* Morell here, but only being honest and giving credit where it's due.

Of course they could've played better and might have, if they knew their coach wasn't bailing on them.
  • Options

I don’t want to go all @Dennis_DeYoung here, but if you state you care about recruiting you don’t hire a 68 year white guy with a baller mustache to be your defensive coordinator. Sorry boomers.

Another Fair Poont.
  • Options

Houhusky said:

TheHB said:

If it was between Brown and Inge/Morrell, count me among those willing to give the former an opportunity

Morrell adjusted well in the 2nd half, particularly in the last 4 to 5 games played. First DC to do that in awhile, probably since Kwat.

D stepped up big in the NC game & got critical stops. O then shit the bed multiple times until the D was worn down.

Lots of legitimate shit talked about Morrell, fair enough. But he at least had his head in the game as they wore on.
    Morrell never had a old grizzly guy to work under.

If UW/Fish wants to experiment with Brown as the elder DC for 2-4 years and Morrell as the co-DC/LB I guess that kind of makes sense...

Would be more excited about it if the players were more loyal to Morrell and the roster wasn't bleeding but even when I thought Debare was staying I said that Morrell needed help or a mentor because he didn't seem quiet ready.
    I’d keep Inge over Morrell. Coached LBs, Morrell coached safeties. i getvthe impression thatvInge was slightly better at recruiting than Morrell.
    Having good Jimmy's (Breuner) and Joe's (Eddie) at LB is often more important than X's and O's.

Now shoot me for channeling Dick Baird.
  • Options
    "he is also known for being a players' coach."

Sentimental words that make me cringe and that I never want to hear.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

TheHB said:

Ffs the defense couldn't line up right or maintain a gap in the National fucking championship game for the first quarter and is a huge reason we lost. That was embarrassing. They should not be running a defense with the budget of Washington.
    Did the Defense improve throughout the NC game, or didn't it? Did they get critical stops against the NC when they needed them, or didn't they?

And did the Defense not do the same all season, especially in the last 4 or 5 games?

Make no mistake, I'm not *praising* Morell here, but only being honest and giving credit where it's due.

Of course they could've played better and might have, if they knew their coach wasn't bailing on them.
    Not saying the defense cost them the game. Just very basic stuff you would hope in the biggest game of everyone's life on that roster they would have down in a situation of that magnitude. The whole team sucked. I dislike them more for what they did as a whole. Other defenses with less talent out performed them in the conference and their talent acquisition was also underwhelming. I don't understand why we wouldn't think we could do better.

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,957
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Joe Barry DC of the Packers was just released today. Him and Fisch overlapped for two years with the Rams...
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,350
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don’t want to go all @Dennis_DeYoung here, but if you state you care about recruiting you don’t hire a 68 year white guy with a baller mustache to be your defensive coordinator. Sorry boomers.

What about a 72-year-old white guy who makes up for the lack of a baller moustache with some cool Nike Monarchs?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I disagree with what I’m about to say but I’m going to say it anyways. When the thought came I dismissed myself as being an idiot.

With the modern era of NIL “contracts” does having an excellent recruiter matter as much when the kids are just looking for the bags?

Minimal recruiting in the NFL as money talks and that’s the way the college game is going.

Food for though. Right, wrong, who gives a fuck.

I had a similar thought. Nevermind coaches who can recruit, shore up the payments system.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TheHB said:

What about a 72-year-old white guy who makes up for the lack of a baller moustache with some cool Nike Monarchs?
    Pete is the exception to the rule, but yea it would be chill if we could hire one of the currently best coaches alive to be our defensive coordinator.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    Standard Supporter

TheHB said:

Pete is the exception to the rule, but yea it would be chill if we could hire one of the currently best coaches alive to be our defensive coordinator.
    I could see Don Brown and Pete Carroll being friendly as they could have cross passed when PC was with the Patriots. Hopefully he can get him in often to help with recruiting.
  • Options

TheHB said:

Not saying the defense cost them the game. Just very basic stuff you would hope in the biggest game of everyone's life on that roster they would have down in a situation of that magnitude. The whole team sucked. I dislike them more for what they did as a whole. Other defenses with less talent out performed them in the conference and their talent acquisition was also underwhelming. I don't understand why we wouldn't think we could do better.

Of course we can and should do better. But part of achieving better standards is to integrate and build upon what IS working, so fairly and accurately assessing the overall performance is key.

I wasn't often impressed with UW's D, but they were noticeably better in the later quarters, making many critical stops when they needed them to secure wins.

UW's had some truly shitty Defensive coaches in the past 20 years, and I wouldn't put Morrell in that class.
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,012
    edited January 25

Boomers probably give more $$ to the UW Football program than all of the younger age groups combined.

So fuck off using age as a way of dividing people.

And as we've seen, being as young as DeBoer didn't help his recruiting much.
    Just because old coaches can’t recruit doesn’t mean all young coaches can recruit.
    Just because some dipshits think that older guys can't recruit didn't stop guys like Saban and Harbaugh from recruiting.

Logic works in both directions. Assuming that all old guys suck at recruiting is as fucktarded as assuming that all younger guys will be better at it.
    Ahh yes, Don Brown is just like Nick Saban.
    You're the poster saying old coaches can't recruit.

At least now you've backpedaled to that point of admitting that it might be about something other than the coaches age.

No, that was someone else I just pointed out your response was stupid.
    My response was excellent. You simply lack the reading comprehension and critical thinking skills to follow the points.