Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HS Recruiting under DeBoer

2»

Comments

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I remember there was a bitterness which developed during the Sark years with in-state players. I think the thought was too that it's not like its expected UW recruits every in-state player but there's a way to be better about it and not just dismiss local guys. Sounds like DeBoer and company got even worse at that. It makes sense as I'm sure DeBoer and Sark didn't give a shit about long-term connections locally as both I'm sure wanted to bolt as soon as they got a good option.

Just going by memory and my outsider perspective, it seemed like Sark offered all of the local guys and would take virtually any of them. Meanwhile he managed to alienate and piss off several while still hoping they'd come to UW.

Deboer just didn't recruit many local guys at all.
    Of the 39 high school players recruited over 3 years, only 6 were from WA
    No one has typed out here more that they're concerned about the fall off in talent coming from this state. Still think they were doing a terrible job of recruiting it.
    I think there has been some demographic shifts in the state. That said I do feel that a fair amount of the talent from the state has been overrated, especially at the top. I mean of the can't miss prospects, really only Emeka has lived up to the hype, and he probably is going to the NFL this year if he doesn't get hurt this year. But Sam, Smalls, JTT and a host of others have been complete duds. There have been some hidden gems that didn't get nearly the press. Joe Tryon, Ali Gaye, most of the Tight Ends from the area come to mind. There has been others as well.

I'll give the coaches some slack as its really hard to get out and see everyone. I was at a Mt. Baker game at Nathan Hale and TJ Bass (Oregon / Dallas Cowboy) was an absolute monster on the field. I happened to be sitting next to his mother and asked if he was being recruited by anyone and she basically said nope. Wasn't even on UW's radar even after becoming big in JUCO.

I hope it wasn't lost on anyone during the Sugar Bowl that Malik Agbo caught a pass in a jumbo formation for Texas. UW basically whiffed on that whole instate line class for 2022, which can probably be blamed on Lake more than Deboer.

Josh Connerly - Oregon
    Dave Iuli - Oregon
    Malik Agbo - Texas
    Vega Ioane - Penn State
    Mark Nabou - Texas A&M
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 784
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

chuck said:

I remember there was a bitterness which developed during the Sark years with in-state players. I think the thought was too that it's not like its expected UW recruits every in-state player but there's a way to be better about it and not just dismiss local guys. Sounds like DeBoer and company got even worse at that. It makes sense as I'm sure DeBoer and Sark didn't give a shit about long-term connections locally as both I'm sure wanted to bolt as soon as they got a good option.

Just going by memory and my outsider perspective, it seemed like Sark offered all of the local guys and would take virtually any of them. Meanwhile he managed to alienate and piss off several while still hoping they'd come to UW.

Deboer just didn't recruit many local guys at all.
    Of the 39 high school players recruited over 3 years, only 6 were from WA
    No one has typed out here more that they're concerned about the fall off in talent coming from this state. Still think they were doing a terrible job of recruiting it.
    I think there has been some demographic shifts in the state. That said I do feel that a fair amount of the talent from the state has been overrated, especially at the top. I mean of the can't miss prospects, really only Emeka has lived up to the hype, and he probably is going to the NFL this year if he doesn't get hurt this year. But Sam, Smalls, JTT and a host of others have been complete duds. There have been some hidden gems that didn't get nearly the press. Joe Tryon, Ali Gaye, most of the Tight Ends from the area come to mind. There has been others as well.

I'll give the coaches some slack as its really hard to get out and see everyone. I was at a Mt. Baker game at Nathan Hale and TJ Bass (Oregon / Dallas Cowboy) was an absolute monster on the field. I happened to be sitting next to his mother and asked if he was being recruited by anyone and she basically said nope. Wasn't even on UW's radar even after becoming big in JUCO.

I hope it wasn't lost on anyone during the Sugar Bowl that Malik Agbo caught a pass in a jumbo formation for Texas. UW basically whiffed on that whole instate line class for 2022, which can probably be blamed on Lake more than Deboer.

Josh Connerly - Oregon
    Dave Iuli - Oregon
    Malik Agbo - Texas
    Vega Ioane - Penn State
    Mark Nabou - Texas A&M
    It's been said a lot but JTT is far from a complete dud. He's definitely not top player in his class level. Him and Trice teamed together would have been nasty and the best DE UW has ever had.

The 2022 OL class looks like it's going to go down as a horrible miss for the program, especially considering everything going on the with the line now. Bad timing with Lake/DeBoer. DB should have been able to hang onto Husky commits Ioane and Nabou who look like they start for those programs as redshirt freshmen, which is impressive.

Conerly - Seems like he's on a similar to JTT, but less proven path where he's not the top OL recruit in his class level but a solid starter already as a true sophomore. Feels like he basically dropped UW once everything fell apart.

Iuli - So far easily the least successful of the group. I think Oregon started a true freshman at guard last year so not a great sign for him.

Agbo - Thought UW didn't' really recruit him and he and Iuli looked really out of shape. Getting reps at Texas already is a good sign though.
    JTT would have been a great addition to the D line, would rather have kept Latu in the mix 100 out of 100 times.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Fish is going to take 25-30 HS recruits next year alone. Probably another 10-15 in the portal. I’ll have to dig out and dust off my old, crusty sweats. Haven’t really had them out since 2020. Me thinks it may be a fun TBS year on Montlake.

I have a feeling we’re? not getting much out of Arizona and will only pick up the San Jose St guysm during this portal period.

We’ll? turn around and grab a few more in the spring portal and then go heavy in recruiting.

It sucks for the 2024 season but should be a better long term plan.
    It’s really the only way to go at this point

It also makes sense to not make any NIL commits to mercenaries that are looking for 1 year paydays at this point … make the deals with those that will be here multiple years
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Fish is going to take 25-30 HS recruits next year alone. Probably another 10-15 in the portal. I’ll have to dig out and dust off my old, crusty sweats. Haven’t really had them out since 2020. Me thinks it may be a fun TBS year on Montlake.

I have a feeling we’re? not getting much out of Arizona and will only pick up the San Jose St guysm during this portal period.

We’ll? turn around and grab a few more in the spring portal and then go heavy in recruiting.

It also makes sense to not make any NIL commits to mercenaries that are looking for 1 year paydays at this point … make the deals with those that will be here multiple years
    Hard to do when our last coach turned out to be a merc and the new coach seems kind of like a merc...

Maybe in 7-10 years WE can hire a UW loyalist in Deonte Cooper, he just became the RB coach at Idaho.
    Everybody is a merc until they prove otherwise

I'm not particularly worried about Fisch leaving to go somewhere else in college

If he goes to the NFL then that means that there's more success at UW on the way and hopefully there will be somebody in place to take over the job seamlessly
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,922
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Hard to do when our last coach turned out to be a merc and the new coach seems kind of like a merc...

Maybe in 7-10 years WE can hire a UW loyalist in Deonte Cooper, he just became the RB coach at Idaho.

I'm not particularly worried about Fisch leaving to go somewhere else in college

If he goes to the NFL then that means that there's more success at UW on the way and hopefully there will be somebody in place to take over the job seamlessly
    Seamless coaching changes in an oxymoron.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

If Chip actually gets a NFL job the Broons might have a case study against that presumption.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

If Chip actually gets a NFL job the Broons might have a case study against that presumption.
    Chip actually isn't a case study really ...

UCLA I suspect is encouraging him to go and there's effectively no buyout in place after next season as long as it is done at a certain point.

If Chip can fool somebody into thinking he's an offensive genius and can get paid at a comparable level to what UCLA has on the table then he's gone

This is one that falls in the category that is far closer to Sark leaving UW to USC ... on the surface it looks like he left for a better/different opportunity but the reality is that he was encouraged to leave