Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

But When Did Dannen Know KDB Wasn’t Coming Back?

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,939
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

This sums up my beef with DeBoer.

There’s always going to be other great opportunities out there for great coaches.

But you don’t have 1 foot out the door in year 2 in the middle of a Natty run.

Fuck that guy forever.

It really is mind numbing

The reason you get into the sports business at a high level is to compete and win championships … if you do that the money follows

To torpedo your chances when you get that chance (and there’s no guarantee you’ll ever get that chance again) speaks volumes about your character and priorities
    It's beyond the pale of @Mad_Son settlement, even in this fucked up age of college football.

DeBoer had ZERO connection to Bamma or the SEC.

He was already in a Year 2 CFP/Natty run at a Top 10 to 20 type program about to triple the original salary. And that's not good enough to still around for 4 or 5 years? What the fuck.

I guess the lack of recruiting was a tell that people like me who hate TBSing ignored at our peril.
    I made mention of being fucked for depth a few times but backed it off because it felt petty as we made the natty run.
    Wasn’t ignored just didn’t realize what the fuck was truly transpiring right in front of us.
    Helluva salesman. Hope he gets anal chlamydia.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 17

jecornel said:

Let’s hope.

Dannen is a lot of things, but he isn't an idiot.

So far… the weasel thing was pretty stupid though that was only under his watch and not his doing but just like in my real life, one of my subordinates fucks up, I fucked up.
    Was the weasel in New Orleans on some kind of parade float and if so, did UW know about it? If it’s something Dannen or his staff knew about and didn’t notice or worse, blessed off on, then they need to get their shit together.

I suspect the Sugar Bowl committee/staff/Madri Gras people did a Google search for UW, found it and had it printed out and stuck it on the float. If that’s the case, that shit is on Cohen for not getting an intern to figure out how to suppress/remove the image from the internet.

As for the Huskie thing, who amongst us hasn’t had a typo before?
    The AD should have a pdf with their standard/preferred marketing collateral (images, logos, color shades, font, etc etc) that they’d send out ahead of time to the boel committee.

Let’s just blame ramming on this one
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

There’s always going to be other great opportunities out there for great coaches.

Fuck that guy forever.

The reason you get into the sports business at a high level is to compete and win championships … if you do that the money follows

To torpedo your chances when you get that chance (and there’s no guarantee you’ll ever get that chance again) speaks volumes about your character and priorities
    It's beyond the pale of @Mad_Son settlement, even in this fucked up age of college football.

He was already in a Year 2 CFP/Natty run at a Top 10 to 20 type program about to triple the original salary. And that's not good enough to still around for 4 or 5 years? What the fuck.

I guess the lack of recruiting was a tell that people like me who hate TBSing ignored at our peril.
    Who were the names in consideration? All Jimmy Sexton guys, every fucking one of them. I've dealt with enough agents to know that if Deboer would have signed that contract at Thanksgiving, he would currently be shopping for a new agent. Football coaches coach football. Agents make money, for their clients, and for themselves.

Not only did Sexton get Deboer paid, he gets the rest of his stable paid to boot. The average sports agent takes between 4-10%, and I'd bet Jimmy is a LOT closer to 10 than 4. Kalen didn't have an "in" at Bama, but Jimmy did...That's why agents get paid.

IDK about the TBS stuff, but it was (after the fact), and continues to be apparent that it affected Deboer rolling to the end of what was a monumental season. By appearances, he didn't handle it well, at all.

You're not in Sioux Falls any more, Toto...
    I wonder if we’ll ever get to a point when universities don’t want to deal with this malarkey anymore.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,802
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

Who were the names in consideration? All Jimmy Sexton guys, every fucking one of them. I've dealt with enough agents to know that if Deboer would have signed that contract at Thanksgiving, he would currently be shopping for a new agent. Football coaches coach football. Agents make money, for their clients, and for themselves.

Not only did Sexton get Deboer paid, he gets the rest of his stable paid to boot. The average sports agent takes between 4-10%, and I'd bet Jimmy is a LOT closer to 10 than 4. Kalen didn't have an "in" at Bama, but Jimmy did...That's why agents get paid.

IDK about the TBS stuff, but it was (after the fact), and continues to be apparent that it affected Deboer rolling to the end of what was a monumental season. By appearances, he didn't handle it well, at all.

I wonder if we’ll ever get to a point when universities don’t want to deal with this malarkey anymore.
    Probably not at least until the vice of stadium debt is in the rear view mirror.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

Probably not at least until the vice of stadium debt is in the rear view mirror.

Was the stadium that much "vice" though? $250 million seems rather cheap looking at what new stadiums run these days, and I would describe it as more of a "need" than a "want".

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

jecornel said:

Let’s hope.

So far… the weasel thing was pretty stupid though that was only under his watch and not his doing but just like in my real life, one of my subordinates fucks up, I fucked up.
    Was the weasel in New Orleans on some kind of parade float and if so, did UW know about it? If it’s something Dannen or his staff knew about and didn’t notice or worse, blessed off on, then they need to get their shit together.

I suspect the Sugar Bowl committee/staff/Madri Gras people did a Google search for UW, found it and had it printed out and stuck it on the float. If that’s the case, that shit is on Cohen for not getting an intern to figure out how to suppress/remove the image from the internet.

The King of Typos has spoken!!!
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I never realized that Bob Woodward voiced his opinion on this. Incredible.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

pawz said:

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

Was the stadium that much "vice" though? $250 million seems rather cheap looking at what new stadiums run these days, and I would describe it as more of a "need" than a "want".

The stadium debt is our best friend, it's what's forcing the AD to remain competitive.
    And UW did it intelligently, building in 2012 when the Residential / Commercial Real Estate was still emerging from the crapper while selecting a developer headed by UW alums who bid aggressively on it. Otherwise UW could have had a gaping sphincter hole like Arizona or Cal.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,909
    Founders Club

jecornel said:

Let’s hope.

The King of Typos has spoken!!!
    Uh?
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

Need and want are irrelevant. Debt Service is no joke.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 17
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

You can pry my 2.95% APR 30 year fixed from my cold dead hands, pal!!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I never realized that Bob Woodward voiced his opinion on this. Incredible.
    We definitely deep throated the Dutchman's State Farm sales pitch load.

Yuck.
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

In this case nominal dollars are chimportant. I thought I read that $12-14 Million are owed this year in stadium det service. (I'm open to being corrected).

No joke when the AD budget is in the range of $30+ milly.

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Bob_C said:

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

So when do they start colluding and then getting sued by Sexton?
    Colluding would work about as well as it does in baseball…at different points when I was in pro ball, mgmt would red-flag players repped by Boras. Depending on who was in charge, it would change if we were in on a guy or not, based on his agent, and bosses’ relationship with said agent.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

In this case nominal dollars are chimportant. I thought I read that $12-14 Million are owed this year in stadium det service. (I'm open to being corrected).

This is a year our of date, but still...

Washington Fiscal Year (2022) Revenues
    Ticket sales
    $29,198,790
    Direct state or other government support
    $0
    Student fees
    $0
    Direct institutional support
    $15,082,998
    Guarantees (from participation in away games)
    $1,148,500
    Contributions
    $28,037,008
    Media rights
    $28,004,249
    NCAA distributions
    $3,492,814
    Conference distributions (non-media, non-bowl games)
    $271,750
    Conference distributions of bowl games
    $8,174,647
    Program, novelty, parking, concession sales
    $3,672,058
    Royalties, licensing, advertisements, sponsorships
    $20,179,991
    Sports camps
    $167,545
    Athletics endowments and inviestments incomes
    $4,080,279
    Other operationg revenue
    $3,674,235
    Football bowl revenues
    $0
    Total
    $145,184,864

Washington Fiscal Year (2022) Expenses
    Athletic student aid
    $16,091,981
    Guarantees (paid to visiting teams)
    $3,141,470
    Coaching salaries, benefits, bonuses
    $22,428,675
    Support staff/administrative compensation
    $21,440,380
    Severance payments
    $17,762,328
    Recruiting
    $2,490,978
    Team travel
    $8,870,323
    Equipment, uniforms, supplies
    $6,915,974
    Game expenses
    $9,963,884
    Fund raising, marketing, promotion
    $1,517,596
    Sports camps
    $144,625
    Spirit groups
    $785,848
    Athletic facilities debt service, leases and rental fee
    $12,964,179
    Direct overhead and administrative expenses
    $7,524,689
    Medical expenses and insurance
    $1,752,722
    Memberships and dues
    $112,073
    Student-athlete meals (non-travel)
    $3,508,566
    Other operating expenses
    $12,042,632
    Bowl expenes
    $0
    Total
    $149,458,923

https://theathletic.com/4151864/2023/02/03/washington-huskies-athletics-spending/
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

Fishpo31 said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck that guy forever.

This is a year our of date, but still...

Washington Fiscal Year (2022) Revenues
    Ticket sales
    $29,198,790
    Direct state or other government support
    $0
    Student fees
    $0
    Direct institutional support
    $15,082,998
    Guarantees (from participation in away games)
    $1,148,500
    Contributions
    $28,037,008
    Media rights
    $28,004,249
    NCAA distributions
    $3,492,814
    Conference distributions (non-media, non-bowl games)
    $271,750
    Conference distributions of bowl games
    $8,174,647
    Program, novelty, parking, concession sales
    $3,672,058
    Royalties, licensing, advertisements, sponsorships
    $20,179,991
    Sports camps
    $167,545
    Athletics endowments and inviestments incomes
    $4,080,279
    Other operationg revenue
    $3,674,235
    Football bowl revenues
    $0
    Total
    $145,184,864

Washington Fiscal Year (2022) Expenses
    Athletic student aid
    $16,091,981
    Guarantees (paid to visiting teams)
    $3,141,470
    Coaching salaries, benefits, bonuses
    $22,428,675
    Support staff/administrative compensation
    $21,440,380
    Severance payments
    $17,762,328
    Recruiting
    $2,490,978
    Team travel
    $8,870,323
    Equipment, uniforms, supplies
    $6,915,974
    Game expenses
    $9,963,884
    Fund raising, marketing, promotion
    $1,517,596
    Sports camps
    $144,625
    Spirit groups
    $785,848
    Athletic facilities debt service, leases and rental fee
    $12,964,179
    Direct overhead and administrative expenses
    $7,524,689
    Medical expenses and insurance
    $1,752,722
    Memberships and dues
    $112,073
    Student-athlete meals (non-travel)
    $3,508,566
    Other operating expenses
    $12,042,632
    Bowl expenes
    $0
    Total
    $149,458,923

https://theathletic.com/4151864/2023/02/03/washington-huskies-athletics-spending/
    So obviously I was WAY off on the $30m number. That said poont still stands. This budget is showing $4m in red ink. Then add the stadium principal debt payments that start this year in excess of 8-figures.

It's not looking good.