Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Coach Pete(ersen)

Comments

• Options
    bigccbigcc Member Posts: 893
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

My feelings about Petersen continue to evolve, and will continue to probably do so, especially in light of this week’s events.

But sports, and hell - human history, is littered with cautionary tales of trying to bring back former leaders. Like getting back together with an ex, you quickly remember why you parted ways in the first place.

Petersen’s fatal flaw is he’s too rigid and set in his ways. Maybe that’s changed, but I doubt it.

True, but coaching has had this type of scenario happen successfully a number of times.

Snyder at Kansas State was ancient as shit and had a better run in round two than in round one.

One of the exceptions that proves the rule.

Look, if Chris Petersen 2: Electric Boogaloo comes to fruition, I would very happy if it turned out to be a redemption arc, and that would be an amazing story if he learned from the past, grew, and came back to give us our title. All my past grievances would be forgiven.
    With the current roster situation, it's hard to envision a better hire. You can bring in a solid coach but there are big problems.

Petersen has PROVEN he can take a pretty mediocre program and team to #4 in the country. The first two years were a complete culture reset and rebound with Cyler and freshman Browning teams.

It has the making of a good redemption arc, keeps the program nationally relevant, and hopefully it's considered by all parties. I honestly think that would be better than hiring a Klieman or a uhhh, ummm, I don't even fucking know who else.

Dude, I don't think anyone wouldn't love petersen coming back more than say, grubb.

He clearly doesn't want to, I don't know why people keep bringing him up
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

AEB said:

Wish that dude had more Dwag in him. People gave him more shit over his OKG thing, but he was a talent evaluator beyond compare. DoucheBore leveraged ´Pete’s guys and program into 12 per at Bama. Wish Pete wanted to win more and experiment on offenses. He would’ve won huge.

He's taken a long walk to get some perspective. He's refreshed and ready to go. Already has a house and everything. Both Petes. I honestly don't care which one at this point but there's nobody I would trust more than the Petes. I have some real daddy issues right now.
    Petersen provides day 1 familiarity, stability, recruiting connections, and solid coaching accumen.

Carroll is my first choice, but IF, and it's a big IF, Petersen has the desire and the pissed off Boise State underdog attitude back, then you have to bring him in.

This roster is getting massacred and it will be a rebuild at this point. Petersen might be able to get some of the portal guys bought back in. The other big question is can he play the NIL and portal game at all?
    this has never crossed my mind but god damnit, i agree. is this rock bottom?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,104
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited January 13

My feelings about Petersen continue to evolve, and will continue to probably do so, especially in light of this week’s events.

But sports, and hell - human history, is littered with cautionary tales of trying to bring back former leaders. Like getting back together with an ex, you quickly remember why you parted ways in the first place.

Petersen’s fatal flaw is he’s too rigid and set in his ways. Maybe that’s changed, but I doubt it.

I see Petersen as being completely cognizant of flaws in himself and UW athletics. I don't think he's one to be too set in his ways, and understands the value of being flexible. That man's brain is his greatest gift, and he's a saint because of it, imo. He cares immensely and wants to succeed, we should never think otherwise. We just caught his downside in a short window in a brand new atmosphere that nobody truly understood how to navigate, besides sheer 5* talent acquisition in the south, especially after going to a playoff and seeing it. It caught him off guard and he tried to adapt on the fly (top 15 classes, lets not forget) because he too wanted to be the best. He still went to a Fiesta Bowl and a Rose Bowl after this mindfuck he experienced. He just didn't know quite how to translate his scene into the new scene. It doesn't happen overnight, especially with savants, so it's hard to blame him. I truly do think that now that the game has been a little more established, the NIL program is set, he knows the scene, he knows the program, he would have a far easier time now than 2019. He's seen it, he's learned. The portal era changes the whole dynamic I think. The dude is a Samurai. Let's not fault how his career ended.

I love Petersen and I don't know if he's the answer or not, but goddamnit, the man needs some respect on his name and if he is considering a return, UW has to consider.

I'm drunk and mentally masturbating, fwiw. I don't know what else to do.
  • Options

I see Petersen as being completely cognizant of flaws in himself and UW athletics. I don't think he's one to be too set in his ways, and understands the value of being flexible. That man's brain is his greatest gift, and he's a saint because of it, imo. He cares immensely and wants to succeed, we should never think otherwise. We just caught his downside in a short window in a brand new atmosphere that nobody truly understood how to navigate, besides sheer 5* talent acquisition in the south, especially after going to a playoff and seeing it. It caught him off guard and he tried to adapt on the fly (top 15 classes, lets not forget) because he too wanted to be the best. He still went to a Fiesta Bowl and a Rose Bowl after this mindfuck he experienced. He just didn't know quite how to translate his scene into the new scene. It doesn't happen overnight, especially with savants, so it's hard to blame him. I truly do think that now that the game has been a little more established, the NIL program is set, he knows the scene, he knows the program, he would have a far easier time now than 2019. He's seen it, he's learned. The portal era changes the whole dynamic I think. The dude is a Samurai. Let's not fault how his career ended.

I love Petersen and I don't know if he's the answer or not, but goddamnit, the man needs some respect on his name and if he is considering a return, UW has to consider.
    He isn't though, so it's irrelevant.

I don't think anyone would complain if he wanted back given the very limited options
  • Options
    Founders Club
    bigcc said:

He isn't though, so it's irrelevant.

I don't think anyone would complain if he wanted back given the very limited options
    I mean I'm ready to discuss the positives and negatives of hiring Don James, so Petersen's interest level is of no concern to me.
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,005
    edited January 13

None of these established or retired coaches want to lose 10 games in their first year. This roster is going to be dogshit.

HS recruiting is beyond destroyed.

Don't see CP or Carroll hustling the portal. It's a much younger man's game.

That's what motivated assistants and coordinators are for.
  • Options
    DucksFCDucksFC Member Posts: 1,104
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    edited January 13
    Bringing back Peterman would be a mistake for the same reason we? would’ve fucked up bringing Chip back.

Chip’s ass is on fire at UCLA because he’s the same guy he was 15 years ago with the same methods and same stupid WTD OKG ideology. His recruiting sucks shit and CFB passed him by. He refused to adapt. When we had a chance to bring back after Meat left, I wasn’t supportive of it. We would’ve expected 2010 all over again and we would’ve gotten 7-5. His shit doesn’t work anymore, and even if it did, he refuses to recruit the talent to run it the way he wants.

Peterman strikes me as similar. Don’t see him adapting to the game as it is now. Doesn’t matter if you don’t agree with how the game is run currently (I sure the fuck don’t) - it isn’t going to stop anytime soon, so you have to get on the train.

In short, FYFMFE.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 13

None of these established or retired coaches want to lose 10 games in their first year. This roster is going to be dogshit.

HS recruiting is beyond destroyed.

Don't see CP or Carroll hustling the portal. It's a much younger man's game.

That's what motivated assistants and coordinators are for.
    Exactly my thoughts. These guys can set certain expectations as some real ass CEOs. It wouldn't have to be the young, hustling HC, getting their feet wet grind. More overlord-ish and the next HC could very well come from the tree. I feel that's better for UW in our current scenario than enduring an up-and-comers trials and tribulations. The program needs to be saved right now, not built. That's what the Snake left us with.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    DucksFC said:

Bringing back Peterman would be a mistake for the same reason we? would’ve fucked up bringing Chip back.

Chip’s ass is on fire at UCLA because he’s the same guy he was 15 years ago with the same methods and same stupid WTD OKG ideology. His recruiting sucks shit and CFB passed him by. He refused to adapt. When we had a chance to bring back after Meat left, I wasn’t supportive of it. We would’ve expected 2010 all over again and we would’ve gotten 7-5. His shit doesn’t work anymore, and even if it did, he refuses to recruit the talent to run it the way he wants.

Peterman strikes me as similar. Don’t see him adapting to the game as it is now. Doesn’t matter if you don’t agree with how the game is run currently (I sure the fuck don’t) - it isn’t going to stop anytime soon, so you have to get on the train.

In short, FYFMFE.

Huh. I want to just say "this would be different", but goddamnit, I have to say it... This would be way different.
  • Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    DucksFC said:

In short, FYFMFE.

I've never understood why they don't run the same offense they ran at Oregon...

No idea how you can watch an offense run teams off the field for years and then go to some slow shit.

The whole Chip schtick was that defenses couldn't catch their breath.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,046
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

DucksFC said:

In short, FYFMFE.

No idea how you can watch an offense run teams off the field for years and then go to some slow shit.

When did the substitution rules change?
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Pete would get crushed in this era of college football. M
  • Options

Pete would get crushed in this era of college football. M

Carroll?

Yeah nothing scares kids away like a hyper energetic (he's not like the other old guys!) players coach known for wrangling in difficult types like beast mode and sherm that kids look up to

Wild lol, in the football world carroll is literally a household name, he's in another hemisphere of public acknowledge
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

True, but coaching has had this type of scenario happen successfully a number of times.

Snyder at Kansas State was ancient as shit and had a better run in round two than in round one.

Look, if Chris Petersen 2: Electric Boogaloo comes to fruition, I would very happy if it turned out to be a redemption arc, and that would be an amazing story if he learned from the past, grew, and came back to give us our title. All my past grievances would be forgiven.
    With the current roster situation, it's hard to envision a better hire. You can bring in a solid coach but there are big problems.

Petersen has PROVEN he can take a pretty mediocre program and team to #4 in the country. The first two years were a complete culture reset and rebound with Cyler and freshman Browning teams.

It has the making of a good redemption arc, keeps the program nationally relevant, and hopefully it's considered by all parties. I honestly think that would be better than hiring a Klieman or a uhhh, ummm, I don't even fucking know who else.
    You have the patience of Job.

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,554
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    DucksFC said:

In short, FYFMFE.

Peterman got a front row seat at what he needs to change up.

Chip was busy starting race wars in Philly
  • Options
    DucksFCDucksFC Member Posts: 1,104
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    edited January 13

DucksFC said:

In short, FYFMFE.

Substitution rules changed and defensive coordinators learned how to scheme for it. They caught up to Chip and he didn’t find a way to get back out ahead of it.

That and he just didn’t have the guys to maintain it consistently because of his stupid recruiting style.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,000
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Absolutely not
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,554
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Absolutely not
    Let's hear your alternative strategy? Who's out there to hire that would be better than a year 3 #4 finish?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 13

Absolutely not
    Let's hear your alternative strategy? Who's out there to hire that would be better than a year 3 #4 finish?
    Taking Kansas to 8-5 is pretty much the same thing as taking UW to 14-1 whatever Peet did.