Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The bright side - those that come back

13»

Comments

• Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    dtd said:

Houhusky said:

I think the following return

Rosengarten
    McMillan
    Dillon Johnson

Probably more

McMillan and Polk should both return but I bet they dont

Does DJ actually have elligability left? he isn't a NFL RB... NOGAF about RBs that aren't named Mccaffery in the nfl anymore

Both aren't actually ready to be NFL WRs, and the difference between a 1-2 round WR and a 4-6 round WR is massive but Penix gone and new QB is some guy no one knows about
    DJ should come back. He can get paid at UW and he needs to show he can stay healthy.
    He's played in 47 games in 4 years.

Barely carried the rock at Ms. St.

Did so at UW and was banged up the whole time.

Sit him through spring, give him a light fall, and let him be your feature back.

Is he going to hobble through the combine this year?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,284
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited January 10

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

You’ll be fringe 20-25 from here on out.

This is a stupid take unless DeBoer leaves. If he stays, he will eventually get them back. I think next year is going to be a lot rougher than doogs are chirping about, though. This team scrapped by the skin of their teeth through conference play. I believe there were at least four games that they lose if a single ridiculous "what the fuck!?" play isn't made. I'm thinking the dime Penix dropped to a punctured-lung Odunze to beat Oregon. TWO different Westover freak 4th down catches to extend drives in one-score games. Dillon Johnson's heroics in Oregon 2.0. Multiple freak Polk catches. The crazy end zone toe drag by Culp.

I think of every single "holy shit!" massive play this year, and it was made by somebody who will be gone next year. There is not another Penix waiting to take over. I love the hell out of Bernard and think he'll make a high level #1 receiver, but what's around him compared to the best receiver room in the country? We've all seen what's behind Dillon Johnson. Who in their right mind thinks next man up on the OL is going to win another Joe Moore award? What does the defense look like without the only two Sunday guys on that side of the ball in Trice and Tuli?

DeBoer needs for lightning to strike again with another of his QBs at the very least, and they need to start bringing a LOT more talent in the program so that it can have depth to hold up against a talented team like Texas and Michigan for four quarters. Or for a whole 14 or 15 game season. If we're being honest, this season ended where it did thanks in part to a ridiculous string of luck--making all of the amazing plays all season when they were absolutely necessary. Counting on that kind of gambler's luck is not a formula for sustained success. There's bound to be a regression to the mean thanks to attrition and a shift in luck (I'm calling 8 wins next year), but DeBoer can absolutely come back if he can rebuild the roster with the right pieces at the right positions that matter and surrounded by enough bought-in glue guys.

Saying he's "fringe" from here on out (assuming he sticks around) is stupid. I'm prepared for a short term dip, though.
    I dig your style as always, but I will push back on the "good fortune" argument a tad. While yes, there was some good fortune in end game situations, there's easily as many examples of poor 4th Q fortune that prevented many games from being comfortable multi-score victories, often in the very same game. And the elements. It was otherworldly how things went down to keep things close this year, beyond normal chaos levels. It worked both ways in this magical season whose intensity/chaos will likely be unmatched for the rest of our lives. All in all, we went took a 14-0 record into the natty and played ball not because of Penix, but because of DeBoer. I don't know how much more winning this guy needs to do to prove he's a winner and will adapt to anything. My standard is high now.

DeBoer won 11 games in his first year as a Husky coach with a broken program. The guy beat UCLA and should have beat Mario in his first year as Fresno's coach, with Jake Haener. He turned a 3* Mike into a sensation in one season at Indiana, torching Big 10 teams, beating Michigan/taking OSU to the wire, etc. A slight regression in 2024 is to be expected, sure, but I don't fear the BIG yet and would be less bullish if we were in this year's PAC12 again. I respect Michigan but they're losing more than we are, possibly 15 players drafted, and likely their HC for a dude who spanks his players over and over while licking his lips. And we play them at Husky Stadium. We also played bully ball against that vaunted Michigan team for 2.5 quarters, my eyes don't lie. It was a defensive Big10-esque slaughterhouse for the majority of the game, and we performed. Don't let the two missed gap assignments early and Michael's misses put a damper on what should have been an epic game, likely a victory 5/10 times, yesterday. The game was evenly matched. Our average defense got down and dirty yesterday sans the early breakdowns and the Big10 should be worried going forward. Did we expect them to play like that, especially after that start? I didn't. DeBoer has somethin, I sense it. The boys are ready to play regardless of the situation. My bar is set at 11 wins in 2024 with the magic this guy has and the surely still overrated Big 10, pending final review in fall. Oregon is our toughest 2024 matchup and that says it all.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,925
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

This is a stupid take unless DeBoer leaves. If he stays, he will eventually get them back. I think next year is going to be a lot rougher than doogs are chirping about, though. This team scrapped by the skin of their teeth through conference play. I believe there were at least four games that they lose if a single ridiculous "what the fuck!?" play isn't made. I'm thinking the dime Penix dropped to a punctured-lung Odunze to beat Oregon. TWO different Westover freak 4th down catches to extend drives in one-score games. Dillon Johnson's heroics in Oregon 2.0. Multiple freak Polk catches. The crazy end zone toe drag by Culp.

I think of every single "holy shit!" massive play this year, and it was made by somebody who will be gone next year. There is not another Penix waiting to take over. I love the hell out of Bernard and think he'll make a high level #1 receiver, but what's around him compared to the best receiver room in the country? We've all seen what's behind Dillon Johnson. Who in their right mind thinks next man up on the OL is going to win another Joe Moore award? What does the defense look like without the only two Sunday guys on that side of the ball in Trice and Tuli?

DeBoer needs for lightning to strike again with another of his QBs at the very least, and they need to start bringing a LOT more talent in the program so that it can have depth to hold up against a talented team like Texas and Michigan for four quarters. Or for a whole 14 or 15 game season. If we're being honest, this season ended where it did thanks in part to a ridiculous string of luck--making all of the amazing plays all season when they were absolutely necessary. Counting on that kind of gambler's luck is not a formula for sustained success. There's bound to be a regression to the mean thanks to attrition and a shift in luck (I'm calling 8 wins next year), but DeBoer can absolutely come back if he can rebuild the roster with the right pieces at the right positions that matter and surrounded by enough bought-in glue guys.

Saying he's "fringe" from here on out (assuming he sticks around) is stupid. I'm prepared for a short term dip, though.
    I dig your style as always, but I will push back on the "good fortune" argument a tad. While yes, there was some good fortune in end game situations, there's easily as many examples of poor 4th Q fortune that prevented many games from being comfortable multi-score victories, often in the very same game. And the elements. It was otherworldly how things went down to keep things close this year, beyond normal chaos levels. It worked both ways in this magical season whose intensity/chaos will likely be unmatched for the rest of our lives. All in all, we went took a 14-0 record into the natty and played ball not because of Penix, but because of DeBoer. I don't know how much more winning this guy needs to do to prove he's a winner and will adapt to anything. My standard is high now.

DeBoer won 11 games in his first year as a Husky coach with a broken program. The guy beat UCLA and should have beat Mario in his first year as Fresno's coach, with Jake Haener. He turned a 3* Mike into a sensation in one season at Indiana, torching Big 10 teams, beating Michigan/taking OSU to the wire, etc. A slight regression in 2024 is to be expected, sure, but I don't fear the BIG yet and would be less bullish if we were in this year's PAC12 again. I respect Michigan but they're losing more than we are, possibly 15 players drafted, and likely their HC for a dude who spanks his players over and over while licking his lips. And we play them at Husky Stadium. We also played bully ball against that vaunted Michigan team for 2.5 quarters, my eyes don't lie. It was a defensive Big10-esque slaughterhouse for the majority of the game, and we performed. Don't let the two missed gap assignments early and Michael's misses put a damper on what should have been an epic game, likely a victory 5/10 times, yesterday. The game was evenly matched. Our average defense got down and dirty yesterday sans the early breakdowns and the Big10 should be worried going forward. Did we expect them to play like that, especially after that start? I didn't. DeBoer has somethin, I sense it. The boys are ready to play regardless of the situation. My bar is set at 11 wins in 2024 with the magic this guy has and the surely still overrated Big 10, pending final review in fall. Oregon is our toughest 2024 matchup and that says it all.
    Someone in another post here said UW would be lucky to win 2/10. I’m with you, I think it’s more evenly matched and UW does better.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,284
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

Someone in another post here said UW would be lucky to win 2/10. I’m with you, I think it’s more evenly matched and UW does better.
    If I could revise, I'd say we win 43/100 times, now that I'm sober. But yes, I think we were more evenly matched than the narrative has led some to believe. Unfortunately we can't play 99 more times to test my hypothesis.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    edited January 10

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

If I could revise, I'd say we win 43/100 times, now that I'm sober. But yes, I think we were more evenly matched than the narrative has led some to believe. Unfortunately we can't play 99 more times to test my hypothesis.
    Agree. I think Michigan was objectively more talented and deep at most positions but UW definitely belonged and that was a winnable game.

I think D staffers deserve to be fired for how completely out of their gaps the players were on like 4 giant Michigan runs.

The amount of self inflicted fuckups on defense and QB is mind boggling.

That’s what hurts.

Not that UW was “lucky “ to be there. Fuck that, they are stone cold winners who royally screwed themslves against a tough team.
  • Options
    wobidbuswobidbus Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 308
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

MelloDawg said:

DJ, Polk, McMillan, and Rosengarten should come back but who cares? This was the year.

If they all come back and Rogers is good, you don’t think this team can be Top 12? Sure, they’d probably get pounded by another elite D-line, but making it back isn’t nearly as tall an order as it seems.
    DeBoer is 25-3 with a semifinal win in year 2

Anyone that doesn't think we are a perennial playoff team with him, at this point, is insane.

DeBoer would've made the playoff his first year in the expanded format.

At this point, UW will be in the playoff every year until proven otherwise. DeBoer is the real deal. Even when UW loses by 3 scores in a title game, they had a legit chance at it.
    I looked at the final cfp rankings for the last three years and it looks like except for one 10-3 Utah team you only can have 2 losses and still be top 12. Maybe that changes with the SEC and Big getting stronger, but that would be a hell of a job by Boner with the schedule next year.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,297
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    wobidbus said:

MelloDawg said:

DJ, Polk, McMillan, and Rosengarten should come back but who cares? This was the year.

If they all come back and Rogers is good, you don’t think this team can be Top 12? Sure, they’d probably get pounded by another elite D-line, but making it back isn’t nearly as tall an order as it seems.
    DeBoer is 25-3 with a semifinal win in year 2

Anyone that doesn't think we are a perennial playoff team with him, at this point, is insane.

DeBoer would've made the playoff his first year in the expanded format.

At this point, UW will be in the playoff every year until proven otherwise. DeBoer is the real deal. Even when UW loses by 3 scores in a title game, they had a legit chance at it.
    I looked at the final cfp rankings for the last three years and it looks like except for one 10-3 Utah team you only can have 2 losses and still be top 12. Maybe that changes with the SEC and Big getting stronger, but that would be a hell of a job by Boner with the schedule next year.
    All of the teams which make up the top 12 in the past are going to be playing each other in the regular season now.