Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The bright side - those that come back

Comments

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

DJ, Polk, McMillan, and Rosengarten should come back but who cares? This was the year.

If they all come back and Rogers is good, you don’t think this team can be Top 12? Sure, they’d probably get pounded by another elite D-line, but making it back isn’t nearly as tall an order as it seems.
    Fuck

https://youtu.be/-9lIu5Om-n4
  • Options
    CrispyEatersonCrispyEaterson Member Posts: 278
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    I thought I had my reads down, but i missed people really hating orange slice man.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,599
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Perennial playoff team?

You’ll be fringe 20-25 from here on out.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

DeBoer is 2 for 2 in top 12, which is the new playoff count.

HTH.
  • Options

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

Got my reads down on this guy though. He sucks.

lol shut the fuck up, dork.
  • Options
    CrispyEatersonCrispyEaterson Member Posts: 278
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    thechatch said:

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

Got my reads down on this guy though. He sucks.

lol shut the fuck up, dork.
    Good one, bruh. Sad Stalin won’t let us pay to fire people into the sun. You would be first in line.
  • Options
    Please don’t.
  • Options
    MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

That’s quite the prediction. Too bad you’re a pussy.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,108
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    TheHB said:

No way are either Polk or McMillan drafted earlier than the third round, so yeah they should come back, but who knows what kind of advice they’ll get

How much guaranteed for a 3rd rounder? And if they stick, that's a year earlier for the 2nd/3rd contracts. They should definitely go pro.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,108
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Houhusky said:

I think the following return

Rosengarten
    McMillan
    Dillon Johnson

Probably more

McMillan and Polk should both return but I bet they dont

Does DJ actually have elligability left? he isn't a NFL RB... NOGAF about RBs that aren't named Mccaffery in the nfl anymore

Both aren't actually ready to be NFL WRs, and the difference between a 1-2 round WR and a 4-6 round WR is massive but Penix gone and new QB is some guy no one knows about
    DJ should come back. He can get paid at UW and he needs to show he can stay healthy.
    He's played in 47 games in 4 years.

• Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,993
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

This is a stupid take unless DeBoer leaves. If he stays, he will eventually get them back. I think next year is going to be a lot rougher than doogs are chirping about, though. This team scrapped by the skin of their teeth through conference play. I believe there were at least four games that they lose if a single ridiculous "what the fuck!?" play isn't made. I'm thinking the dime Penix dropped to a punctured-lung Odunze to beat Oregon. TWO different Westover freak 4th down catches to extend drives in one-score games. Dillon Johnson's heroics in Oregon 2.0. Multiple freak Polk catches. The crazy end zone toe drag by Culp.

I think of every single "holy shit!" massive play this year, and it was made by somebody who will be gone next year. There is not another Penix waiting to take over. I love the hell out of Bernard and think he'll make a high level #1 receiver, but what's around him compared to the best receiver room in the country? We've all seen what's behind Dillon Johnson. Who in their right mind thinks next man up on the OL is going to win another Joe Moore award? What does the defense look like without the only two Sunday guys on that side of the ball in Trice and Tuli?

DeBoer needs for lightning to strike again with another of his QBs at the very least, and they need to start bringing a LOT more talent in the program so that it can have depth to hold up against a talented team like Texas and Michigan for four quarters. Or for a whole 14 or 15 game season. If we're being honest, this season ended where it did thanks in part to a ridiculous string of luck--making all of the amazing plays all season when they were absolutely necessary. Counting on that kind of gambler's luck is not a formula for sustained success. There's bound to be a regression to the mean thanks to attrition and a shift in luck (I'm calling 8 wins next year), but DeBoer can absolutely come back if he can rebuild the roster with the right pieces at the right positions that matter and surrounded by enough bought-in glue guys.

Saying he's "fringe" from here on out (assuming he sticks around) is stupid. I'm prepared for a short term dip, though.
    This. The Winners Win mantra and year-long sucking off of the defense for "stepping up when it matters" was all well and good when the team eked out wins, but the luck just as easily could've gone the other way. Next year there's no generational talent at QB and WR and the defense will likely regress with guys on the DL leaving. The secondary outside of Muhammed was fucking twash this year. This team tackled well in only a handful of games, but doesn't have the depth or talent compared to every other top 10 team.

But I like what I've seen from DeBoer and believe he's the guy. Next year we'll probably suck though.
  • Options
    MakaDawg said:

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

That’s quite the prediction. Too bad you’re a pussy.
    Who do you expect back?

Asa Turner?
    Polk?
    Goforth?
    Rosengarten?

The guys that absolutely carried this team are all gone. Gonna be tough to replace those peterman recruits.
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 337
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

DJ, Polk, McMillan, and Rosengarten should come back but who cares? This was the year.

NIL changes everything. All those guys are looking at getting substantial NIL money if they come back. Why not take $500K to come back and try to jump from a 3rd to a 2nd round draft pick? I think DJ comes back and that one or both of McMillan and Polk comes back as well.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,871
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    TheHB said:

DeBoer really needs to address the defense. If he doesn’t, and continues to “reward loyalty,” it’s a sign he may not be the right coach for the long haul.

I think the defense does a lot of things well, and makes big plays often when we need them.

However, we struggle with staying in lanes, being in position, and tackling. Seems like we constantly need 9 fucking guys to bring a guy down, all the while pushing him forward for more yards.

• Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,210
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    thechatch said:

Y’all are losing a ton off the 2 deep, aren’t you?

It seems you are in every thread I read today

… I know you guys are frustrated but I’m actually embarrassed for you.

The kid who wants attention so bad because his Daddy didn’t give him his daily praise.

We are gonna be ok … one way or another … so will Oregon … but this cuog behavior is indicative of some weird shortcoming.

Sort yourself out bro. Get a girlfriend, get a hobby… get a life.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

thechatch said:

Perennial playoff team?

This is a stupid take unless DeBoer leaves. If he stays, he will eventually get them back. I think next year is going to be a lot rougher than doogs are chirping about, though. This team scrapped by the skin of their teeth through conference play. I believe there were at least four games that they lose if a single ridiculous "what the fuck!?" play isn't made. I'm thinking the dime Penix dropped to a punctured-lung Odunze to beat Oregon. TWO different Westover freak 4th down catches to extend drives in one-score games. Dillon Johnson's heroics in Oregon 2.0. Multiple freak Polk catches. The crazy end zone toe drag by Culp.

I think of every single "holy shit!" massive play this year, and it was made by somebody who will be gone next year. There is not another Penix waiting to take over. I love the hell out of Bernard and think he'll make a high level #1 receiver, but what's around him compared to the best receiver room in the country? We've all seen what's behind Dillon Johnson. Who in their right mind thinks next man up on the OL is going to win another Joe Moore award? What does the defense look like without the only two Sunday guys on that side of the ball in Trice and Tuli?

DeBoer needs for lightning to strike again with another of his QBs at the very least, and they need to start bringing a LOT more talent in the program so that it can have depth to hold up against a talented team like Texas and Michigan for four quarters. Or for a whole 14 or 15 game season. If we're being honest, this season ended where it did thanks in part to a ridiculous string of luck--making all of the amazing plays all season when they were absolutely necessary. Counting on that kind of gambler's luck is not a formula for sustained success. There's bound to be a regression to the mean thanks to attrition and a shift in luck (I'm calling 8 wins next year), but DeBoer can absolutely come back if he can rebuild the roster with the right pieces at the right positions that matter and surrounded by enough bought-in glue guys.

Saying he's "fringe" from here on out (assuming he sticks around) is stupid. I'm prepared for a short term dip, though.
    I agree with a lot of what you said. Especially anything related to The defense. Offensively I actually think they were very unlucky for this season with health and overcame it.

There was nothing lucky about wr's making plays. They were that good. Too bad they didn't get to play more games together.

Also assuming we only lose Troy, the OLine should be a strength compared to all minus the most elite defenses.

We probably are winning 8-9 games next year with the schedule we have and trend up from there. Hopefully some of the youth shows out next season on defense. It needs to or we will have to buy a defense to be a top 12 Team going forward.