Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

When did Stalin become real Stalin??

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,894 Swaye's Wigwam

The end of Hardcore Husky free beer would be an interesting little social experiment.

I would like to see a few of the boards be "premium" where you have to pay in order to access: The Duck Refuge and The Tug.

The main/Husky board should always be free.
    No bad ideas in a brainstorming session as the old cliche goes.

No health and wellness of the Hardcore Husky type issue conflicts me more than Free Beer.

One the one hand, I understand and appreciate the role Free Beer plays in growing and/or sustaining our community. I don't think 2016 Yella bothers to try my hand at being a Hardcore Husky poster w/o Stalin's free sudz. And my life hasn't quite been the same since. But, 7 years and 33K shit posts later, you can bet your ass I'm tithing to Stalin.

I greatly enjoy so many of the contributions of our long time, free beer mega posters. But if I ever am fortunate enough to have a beer with any of you guysm in person I'm gonna say it to your face to get your shit together and do the right thing.
    This. I didn’t donate for a few years after I joined, but I’d feel like a piece of shit not chipping in at this point.
    And you're getting crushed by Idaho income tax and still got a golden football!! Much respeck, pal.
  • houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 203

The end of Hardcore Husky free beer would be an interesting little social experiment.

I would like to see a few of the boards be "premium" where you have to pay in order to access: The Duck Refuge and The Tug.

No health and wellness of the Hardcore Husky type issue conflicts me more than Free Beer.

One the one hand, I understand and appreciate the role Free Beer plays in growing and/or sustaining our community. I don't think 2016 Yella bothers to try my hand at being a Hardcore Husky poster w/o Stalin's free sudz. And my life hasn't quite been the same since. But, 7 years and 33K shit posts later, you can bet your ass I'm tithing to Stalin.

I greatly enjoy so many of the contributions of our long time, free beer mega posters. But if I ever am fortunate enough to have a beer with any of you guysm in person I'm gonna say it to your face to get your shit together and do the right thing.
    This. I didn’t donate for a few years after I joined, but I’d feel like a piece of shit not chipping in at this point.
    Cool, i've got a few years more until I should contribute.

Cool, i've got a few years more until I should contribute.
    Why wait? Strike while the iron is hot!!
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter

It’s a delicate line to walk, and even with all the donations the work you, @DerekJohnson, and the other mods do is not appreciated enough, never mind adequately financially compensated for. It’s definitely a labor of love on your parts. So yeah, it does feel annoying when people who practically live here 24/7 don’t chip in.

Still, as a counter argument, we’re all getting hit up for donations and fucking “virtual tip jars” all the time…and it keeps getting worse…and multiple times a year. So I get it if there’s a “I gave at the office” mentality paired with a “why should I pay for the cow when I get the milk for free” attitude.

It’s a delicate line to walk, and even with all the donations the work you, @DerekJohnson, and the other mods do is not appreciated enough, never mind adequately financially compensated for. It’s definitely a labor of love on your parts. So yeah, it does feel annoying when people who practically live here 24/7 don’t chip in.

Still, as a counter argument, we’re all getting hit up for donations and fucking “virtual tip jars” all the time…and it keeps getting worse…and multiple times a year. So I get it if there’s a “I gave at the office” mentality paired with a “why should I pay for the cow when I get the milk for free” attitude.
    Stalin doesn't make a profit off this site. At best, he's covering the (Vanilla) operating cost and maybe having enough left over to come down to play a weekend of golf in Bend with Old Yella. Our dear leader spends countless hrs a week, pro bono, running this shit hole so that we can enjoy a one of a kind college football message board experience.

The above mentioned counter-argument doesn't really work well as an analogy for HH free beer. It's got nothing to do with the constant ask for donations we all get annoyed with. Rather, Derek provides a service than many of us spend hrs a week or more enjoying, and that deserves buying a round of beer to group.
    Like I said, I know how hard Derek works and this is a break even venture at best. I try to do my best to support this site.

But there’s also other content creators / sites / businesses that give the exact same reasoning to me. I know for some of them I’m the “free beer” guy. I can’t really explain why I let myself off the hook with them, but not this place. It’s not fair/rational, but it’s just me being honest, so that’s why I want to avoid picking on the casual freeloading.

Stalin doesn't make a profit off this site. At best, he's covering the (Vanilla) operating cost and maybe having enough left over to come down to play a weekend of golf in Bend with Old Yella. Our dear leader spends countless hrs a week, pro bono, running this shit hole so that we can enjoy a one of a kind college football message board experience.

The above mentioned counter-argument doesn't really work well as an analogy for HH free beer. It's got nothing to do with the constant ask for donations we all get annoyed with. Rather, Derek provides a service than many of us spend hrs a week or more enjoying, and that deserves buying a round of beer to group.
    Like I said, I know how hard Derek works and this is a break even venture at best. I try to do my best to support this site.

But there’s also other content creators / sites / businesses that give the exact same reasoning to me. I know for some of them I’m the “free beer” guy. I can’t really explain why I let myself off the hook with them, but not this place. It’s not fair/rational, but it’s just me being honest, so that’s why I want to avoid picking on the casual freeloading.
    Good points. I add though there's a difference between casual freeloading - which I'd argue necessary for the success HH - vs chronic and acute, free beer addiction. Where the line gets crossed I don't know.
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member Posts: 1,483

Good points. I add though there's a difference between casual freeloading - which I'd argue necessary for the success HH - vs chronic and acute, free beer addiction. Where the line gets crossed I don't know.
    Go ahead and name some obvious offenders to help us get the picture 🍿
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam
    I thought the OP was some kind of joke. WTF?

Yup. It’s like the person who crashes on your couch for the weekend vs. a deadbeat roommate.
    Some people should pay rent!

And yes, it’s not always easy to articulate when they’re starting to take advantage of Stalin’s good graces.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,354

Go ahead and name some obvious offenders to help us get the picture 🍿
    Me
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,968
    Kaepsknee said:

chuck said:

Yes

Thanks.

And bye.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,302 Founders Club

Kaepsknee said:

chuck said:

Yes

Thanks.

And bye.

This is awesome. Heading to Important Gifs.
  • houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 203

I wasn't going to bring this up until the off season, like Feb or March.

We can go into it later once the season is over, but I will say it's not the casual guy with 1,200 posts who logs in once a week to see what's going on that bothers me. It's the guys with tens of thousands of posts, who are on here virtually every day for extended periods of time, who can't even kick in $29 a year, that cause me a bit of consternation. Especially when I see them commenting about UW road trips they're going on or the new (fill in the blank) they just bought or comments like they've never been more addicted to the site than they are now.

That's sounds fair.

Honest question because my dumb butt doesn't really know how this works. Do your costs increase as volume of traffic increases? I'm sure that this season has increased posting and visits here substantially. Is that hitting your pocket right now?
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam

We can go into it later once the season is over, but I will say it's not the casual guy with 1,200 posts who logs in once a week to see what's going on that bothers me. It's the guys with tens of thousands of posts, who are on here virtually every day for extended periods of time, who can't even kick in $29 a year, that cause me a bit of consternation. Especially when I see them commenting about UW road trips they're going on or the new (fill in the blank) they just bought or comments like they've never been more addicted to the site than they are now.

Or the ducks that brag about boating to Husky Stadium or watching the game from a resort in Southern California.

Oh wait, those retards are lying. Nevermind.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam

That's sounds fair.

Honest question because my dumb butt doesn't really know how this works. Do your costs increase as volume of traffic increases? I'm sure that this season has increased posting and visits here substantially. Is that hitting your pocket right now?
    Keeping data forever always costs more.