Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

My name is Swaye, and I am stoopid...

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
So somewhere during Boner's first season I was lamenting to my pods @YellowSnow @Doogles @DerekJohnson @PurpleBaze @CFetters_Nacho_Lover and @GrundleStiltzkin that I thought it might be impossible anymore to win big at Washington. I was notably disinterested in Washington football after Lake and Way to Rep the North and Covid and blah blah blah.

Anyway, I felt at the time that the West Coast culturally, and UW UC generally, were incompatible with winning in modern college football. NIL played a huge role in my thinking, PAC-12 conference retardation played a huge role, as did general geographic malaise with football on the WC. I also realized Jen was a dumb donkey, and thought it unlikely we would ever fire her, etc. Whole list of sound and valid reasons why I believed it was unlikely UW would ever seriously compete at the highest levels in CFB again.

Welp, I'm a stoopid retarded gerbil fuck of a dude. Turns out what Race Bannon started preaching 20 years ago really is true. "It's the Head Coach stupid." Sure, its a little more nuanced than that. I didn't realize almost 2 years ago that our Cuban lesbian was actually going to be the first REAL "Football is the Front Porch of the University" Prez in my lifetim. I fucking love her btw. We should never hire any Prez again that is not a Cuban lesbian. Also never in my wildest dreams saw USC bailing us out again with The Leopard. And who could have seen us big dicking the reject Pac-12 and jilting them in the middle of the night for a power play into the B1G?

It's been a fucking wild 18 months or so. But, at the end of the day, this is Boner. Turns out that it really is as simple as finding the right guy, and then having just enough of the supporting functions (conference affiliation, NIL budget, UC support, good AD) required to actually be lights out good and compete anywhere, even in a place where "men" wear scarves and watch dive grass gayball. I was wrong, and I am happy as can be to admit it. Overjoyed at it actually. Now back the fucking Brinks truck up to Boners porch and beat Michigan. I never thought there was any chance we'd win a NC again in my lifetim, and there will never be a better chance than right now.

Comments

• Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Once cheating became legal, it actually helped the west coast more than it hurts. Who knew? And we hired the best coach in the country.

This is a huge part of it. I incorrectly assumed NIL was the final nail in our coffin, given my reasons stated previously (i.e. AD and institutional support), but turns out when you have a goddamn football savant like Boner and the Univ (at the Prez) level commits to winning then wtfIcan'tbelieveit we are all of the sudden playing for it all. Portal has become our biggest asset because Boner and crew know how to make winners out of the island of misfit toys better than any other staff in the land.
    #metoo

I thought it would kill the west. Oregon usc and uw have done well though. I think the sec misplayed it initially. Ole Miss is getting their reads down for a run next year. Don't know that they can replicate it year after year spending that way though.

It actually works out best to have a bunch of juniors on your team projected as mid round picks. You can guarantee them compensation the nfl can't unless they are on a game day roster. Then go plug a few holes.
    This is a really good take I think. The portal, when played correctly, is more than just go throw money at the biggest sizzle players out there (aTm style)....it finding just the right pieces that can have the greatest effect for the longest time. Sum greater than the parts type thing. Boner is a master at it. His recruiting at the HS level is still suspect to me, but man if he can fill 5-10 holes every year with solid portal contributors to Sunday stars this program has a high floor every year.
    To your point DeBoer knew this going in. Dude is playing 4D chess. I don't care what ANYONE says.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    EwaDawg said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Once cheating became legal, it actually helped the west coast more than it hurts. Who knew? And we hired the best coach in the country.

This is a huge part of it. I incorrectly assumed NIL was the final nail in our coffin, given my reasons stated previously (i.e. AD and institutional support), but turns out when you have a goddamn football savant like Boner and the Univ (at the Prez) level commits to winning then wtfIcan'tbelieveit we are all of the sudden playing for it all. Portal has become our biggest asset because Boner and crew know how to make winners out of the island of misfit toys better than any other staff in the land.
    #metoo

I thought it would kill the west. Oregon usc and uw have done well though. I think the sec misplayed it initially. Ole Miss is getting their reads down for a run next year. Don't know that they can replicate it year after year spending that way though.

It actually works out best to have a bunch of juniors on your team projected as mid round picks. You can guarantee them compensation the nfl can't unless they are on a game day roster. Then go plug a few holes.
    This is a really good take I think. The portal, when played correctly, is more than just go throw money at the biggest sizzle players out there (aTm style)....it finding just the right pieces that can have the greatest effect for the longest time. Sum greater than the parts type thing. Boner is a master at it. His recruiting at the HS level is still suspect to me, but man if he can fill 5-10 holes every year with solid portal contributors to Sunday stars this program has a high floor every year.
    To your point DeBoer knew this going in. Dude is playing 4D chess. I don't care what ANYONE says.
    He really does seem to understand the art of this better than anyone else. I mean if you look at recruiting rankings our boys do not deserve to be in the same Zip Code as Oregon (3 in a row), USC (shit all over them), Texas (2-0 bitch), and the Michigans and Bamas of the world. But here we are, not just competing, but winning, all day er'y day.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Saban begging for common sense NIL laws was the tell.
    Yep when he couldn't stockpile 5 stars on the bench anymore that actually turned out to be the best levelling of the field ever. He who understands the portal and can Coach on gameday will rule the world.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Doogles said:

Saban begging for common sense NIL laws was the tell.
    Yep when he couldn't stockpile 5 stars on the bench anymore that actually turned out to be the best levelling of the field ever. He who understands the portal and can Coach on gameday will rule the world.
    This. NIL is the 85 scholarship limit of this era