Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offishul Boys in the Boat movie thread

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Lake Washington

Oh, you said that it's jarring to see them practicing without mountains and conifers in the background, so I thought the movie must have moved where they practice or something.
    If I recall correctly by watching a "behind the scenes" featurette, a lot of rowing scenes were shot in the UK, so that might explain it.
    Yeah, Clooney has said repeatedly that 1936 Seattle doesn't look like Seattle of today so they shot it in the UK. Whether that's a reason or an excuse, whatever. They do some far angle shots of Montlake Cut which look great except for the fact that IRL such a shot would show the Olympics in the distance. Again, it's fine, can't nitpick to the point of not enjoying it for what it is.

I just find it amusing which pieces get historical/scene precision and which ones don't. Hooverville south of downtown, with the Smith Tower in the distance, accurate per photos and the memories my dad has described to me. The Olympic 8s themselves, the ASUW shell house, some of the launch boats for the Cal race (one is named Oski III), a shout out to Hugh Laurie's dad, historically accurate. Mt Rainer, the Cascades and Olympics being absent when showing UW rowing on Lake Washington? OK. Only if you notice such things.
    Okay, now I get it. Seems like it would have been something pretty easy to digitally insert.
    Digital penetration is a crime.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Probably could have filmed rowing on Northern Lake Washington by St Edwards State Park but you'd probably want calm water and no motor boats zipping by. I'm still surprised they raced up there but I guess compared to wider parts of the lake it would be less choppy. That said they could have filmed in Suzzalo or Denny, Padelford, Architecture, or most of the quad and had pretty historical. Why was I not consulted?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So the early reviews I’m hearing from my Peter puffer pods that attended the Seattle early preview, are “very good, but not great”.

And the rowing technique is shit. Like worse than an OSU novice crew. Pretty hard to turn actors into decent rowers in a short period of time.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,380
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Never underestimate the heart of a champion. I've never stopped scrolling long enough to watch this. No idea if they can row

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I thought it was great. I don't see how you can really elevate or fuck up these period piece/historical sports movies besides picking a story that the viewer isn't interested in.

The shots and angles of Nazi Germany were really well done and made it so that they didn't have to stretch it out beyond the 2 hours explaining the importance of the final act.

My only minor complaint was that there were a few corny lines of dialogue and that Joel Edgerton has gotten to the point where he's just playing himself in every movie now. His wife in the movie was hotter than the girlfriend.

9/10
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023
    Watched it, it was ok.

Never read the book (will now), but something was missing from this for me.

It wasn't close to Miracle on Ice or Remember the Titans.

There was some cheesy dialogue, feel good, but I think kinda boring. And you don't really get to know the characters that well.

Seemed very surface level/one note.

Rantz is a hardworkin' poor w/ daddy issues. Hume the star is an insecure mute who has a flu game in the olympics. Shit talkin' Coxswain was the best character by far. Edgerton was a terrible coach, like did he even know what he was doing?

Was nice to hear Bow Down To Washington drunkenly sung.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I thought it was well done but incomplete. Missed a lot by starting with everyone already going to school at UW. Also, no significant mention of his summer work on the Gran Dam. And no real ending beyond the gold at the Olympics.

I see why those who never read the book enjoyed it a lot more than those who have.

Gotta find my copy of the book and read it before the Sugar Bowl.

At least I saw it in a cinema with less than 100 seats and less than ten people watching.

My wife now understands UW's significance in the history of rowboat.

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It was good but not great.

Wouldn't have killed Clooney to get some shots on campus. Most of the quad, Denny hall, Suzzallo, parrington and drumheller were all on campus at that time. Thought it was a bit funny that Poughkeepsie was lined by evergreens and the very narrow Lake Washington was lined by deciduous trees. Granted a lot of the evergreen trees throughout the area would have been mowed down, especially in Seattle proper. Maybe a shot at the 7Eleven on Aurora in the U District would have been good as well. I know the movies were set in the time period they were filmed but shit, War Games and the Changling, not completely filmed in WA at least got some campus shots. Again, quite honestly, Suzzalo, Denny, sylvan grove and Rainier Vista feel like the biggest omissions.

No, its the classic "not true to the book" hollywood version. I still enjoyed it.

Some other glaring omissions. Rain. Jimmy Kimmel razzed clooney about it and yeah, there was no rain at all in the movie. Rain, mist, early morning workouts before the wind picks up.

Lastly I don't think it really stuck out that this was based on a true story. No epilogue really of the guys. Would have been easy to get some footage of the boys rowing years later to commemorate. Just some pictures along with the credits. I say this because one friend caught it early at a mystery movie night and wanted me to know there was no end of credits scene like you'd find in a Marvel movie. She clearly had not read the book.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wouldn't have killed Clooney to get some shots on campus. Most of the quad, Denny hall, Suzzallo, parrington and drumheller were all on campus at that time. Thought it was a bit funny that Poughkeepsie was lined by evergreens and the very narrow Lake Washington was lined by deciduous trees. Granted a lot of the evergreen trees throughout the area would have been mowed down, especially in Seattle proper. Maybe a shot at the 7Eleven on Aurora in the U District would have been good as well. I know the movies were set in the time period they were filmed but shit, War Games and the Changling, not completely filmed in WA at least got some campus shots. Again, quite honestly, Suzzalo, Denny, sylvan grove and Rainier Vista feel like the biggest omissions.

No, its the classic "not true to the book" hollywood version. I still enjoyed it.

Some other glaring omissions. Rain. Jimmy Kimmel razzed clooney about it and yeah, there was no rain at all in the movie. Rain, mist, early morning workouts before the wind picks up.

Lastly I don't think it really stuck out that this was based on a true story. No epilogue really of the guys. Would have been easy to get some footage of the boys rowing years later to commemorate. Just some pictures along with the credits. I say this because one friend caught it early at a mystery movie night and wanted me to know there was no end of credits scene like you'd find in a Marvel movie. She clearly had not read the book.

I’m gonna have to fight hard through the geographic inaccuracy of the settings. I hate that lazy shit.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Not having a rolling credit with a blurb of what the "boys" did post race was a big miss.

It wouldn't have added much time and tied it up. Though, there was so little character development, it could have come off like introducing strangers in the final scene, so I can see why they might have scrapped it.

Still would have been nice to see what became of them. Once you remove the purple shades, you'll realize it wasn't a good movie.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I’m gonna have to fight hard through the geographic inaccuracy of the settings. I hate that lazy shit.
    (I predict that) You are going to have a tough time with the whole damn thing. It was made for people not familiar with row boat or the boys in the boat. NTTIATWWT
  • Options
    Dick10BeersDick10Beers Member Posts: 19
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I saw the movie and it didn’t come close to my expectations. I get that you were going Hollywood up the story… I was halfway thinking they would make one of the boys a black tranz or some shit… But I’m not gonna take that to the tug. my problem with it is that it was a total miss as far as conveying what the sport is about. They acted like the coach just took a chance and picked those guys to go. Anybody that knows jack shit about that sport knows that one of the greatest parts about it is that everybody earns their way. it would’ve been pretty easy to have a scene where they say pull the boats together and switch Rantz and then show the boat going faster.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859
    edited December 2023
    Why the angst? Everyone knows George Clooney is a part of the WEF globalist elite cabal (hi, OBK) and can’t be bothered with presenting the true story. Watered down or revisionist history is their specialty

TITTT, I know.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why the angst? Everyone knows George Clooney is a part of the WEF globalist elite cabal (hi, OBK) and can’t be bothered with presenting the true story. Watered down or revisionist history is their specialty

TITTT, I know.

Did the Junkers Ju 52s spray chem trails over the ‘36 games @PurpleThrobber ?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Damn, it feels like only me and PJ Fleck liked the movie.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

I haven’t seen it yet pod. Keep the faith @haie
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,796
    Founders Club

haie said:

I haven’t seen it yet pod. Keep the faith @haie
    I see it tomorrow (13 hrs from this poasting). Will report back.