Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Disappointed, concerned and somewhat pissed

In my pre-game post warning about the bored meltdown due to all the quarterbrains who were expecting us to win the furd game, I stated that I would be disappointed but not pissed if we lose a hard fought close game that we see improvement in all facets of games.

http://hardcorehusky.com/forums/#/discussion/13009/what-kind-of-meltdown-the-bored-will-have-with-a-loss-on-saturday/p1

However, I found myself somewhat pissed and a bit concerned after the game. Pissed because we had 0 improvement on offense and special team did not improve (though admittedly against a much better and dangerous team compared with our preseason games). I stated several factors that will likely determine the outcome of the game and the first was our offensive lines and running game. Sure enough, that is where our game is lost. I am sure many will argue QR play was more responsible for the loss and yes if you judge everything equally, that would be valid. However, from where we came from Miles did pretty much what I expected. All I hoped was he kept a clean slate and he did just that. In other words, he did not put us in a position to win but neither did he put us in a position to lose. If after the pre season games, any of you were still expecting him to win the game for us (which was the case in that final drive, what a dreckfest!) then I can't help you.

What however got me concerned is Peterman. I was ecstatic when we hired him and I wasn't the least bit concerned about his coming from Boise, that all his predecessors at Boise did not fare well in big conferences, and that he lost to Losingham before etc. His winning percentage at Boise was no fluke. One thing that did concern me a little was his last year's record at Boise (worst record for his tenure and the way his team lost to Sark) and the reason for his leaving Boise. All seem to point that he has lost a bit of his fire/drive and needed a change of scenery. That would not be too big a deal if the change of scenary did reignite his fire/drive and I was quite happy with pretty much all the decisions he has made so far. That is until the punt decision in the 4th quarter. It was pretty clear at that point that the likely way for us to win that game would be for our defense to get a turnover deep in their territory (maybe even score directly) or for our offense to get lucky like in the first half with a string of penalties against Stanford. Neither is good odds given the limited time left unless the game drags on way into the overtime. Many have pointed out the punt is a high risk low return decision so why would he do it? My hunch is he did not want the game to drag too long with continued offensive stalemate and hence made a rash decision to roll the dice. In other words, he did not have the slug it out mentality. In my pre-game post, I listed Peterman as our no. 1 strength and it certainly did not pan out for this game.

I am far from giving up on Peterman though. Now we have a bye week and a lot of tapes to go back to retool our offense and if we come out after this a much better team, I would chalk this one as a one time slip. Even if he decides now that Miles isn't the one to carry us very far and decides to go with Williams or Carta Samuels if that is what it takes (obviously a bit late) at the cost of losing a couple of more games this year so we can win more down the road, I will be all for it.

Comments

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,504
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

In my pre-game post warning about the bored meltdown due to all the quarterbrains who were expecting us to win the furd game, I stated that I would be disappointed but not pissed if we lose a hard fought close game that we see improvement in all facets of games.

http://hardcorehusky.com/forums/#/discussion/13009/what-kind-of-meltdown-the-bored-will-have-with-a-loss-on-saturday/p1

However, I found myself somewhat pissed and a bit concerned after the game. Pissed because we had 0 improvement on offense and special team did not improve (though admittedly against a much better and dangerous team compared with our preseason games). I stated several factors that will likely determine the outcome of the game and the first was our offensive lines and running game. Sure enough, that is where our game is lost. I am sure many will argue QR play was more responsible for the loss and yes if you judge everything equally, that would be valid. However, from where we came from Miles did pretty much what I expected. All I hoped was he kept a clean slate and he did just that. In other words, he did not put us in a position to win but neither did he put us in a position to lose. If after the pre season games, any of you were still expecting him to win the game for us (which was the case in that final drive, what a dreckfest!) then I can't help you.

What however got me concerned is Peterman. I was ecstatic when we hired him and I wasn't the least bit concerned about his coming from Boise, that all his predecessors at Boise did not fare well in big conferences, and that he lost to Losingham before etc. His winning percentage at Boise was no fluke. One thing that did concern me a little was his last year's record at Boise (worst record for his tenure and the way his team lost to Sark) and the reason for his leaving Boise. All seem to point that he has lost a bit of his fire/drive and needed a change of scenery. That would not be too big a deal if the change of scenary did reignite his fire/drive and I was quite happy with pretty much all the decisions he has made so far. That is until the punt decision in the 4th quarter. It was pretty clear at that point that the likely way for us to win that game would be for our defense to get a turnover deep in their territory (maybe even score directly) or for our offense to get lucky like in the first half with a string of penalties against Stanford. Neither is good odds given the limited time left unless the game drags on way into the overtime. Many have pointed out the punt is a high risk low return decision so why would he do it? My hunch is he did not want the game to drag too long with continued offensive stalemate and hence made a rash decision to roll the dice. In other words, he did not have the slug it out mentality. In my pre-game post, I listed Peterman as our no. 1 strength and it certainly did not pan out for this game.

I am far from giving up on Peterman though. Now we have a bye week and a lot of tapes to go back to retool our offense and if we come out after this a much better team, I would chalk this one as a one time slip. Even if he decides now that Miles isn't the one to carry us very far and decides to go with Williams or Carta Samuels if that is what it takes (obviously a bit late) at the cost of losing a couple of more games this year so we can win more down the road, I will be all for it.

Disagree (deserved another one)
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    nl;r

I agree. I still can't wrap my head around the fake. Fuck.
  • Options

Petersen admitted in his pressed how stupid of a call the fake punt was.

But @RaceBannon‌ is still in the line to bleaux Peterman for that call.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Admitting you fucked up doesn't make it any less fucked up.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,085
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

But @RaceBannon‌ is still in the line to bleaux Peterman for that call.
    Link?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He not only admitted he fucked up, he said we did enough to win.
  • Options
    topdawgnc said:

disagree

I love how you can get awesome votes for one deep word such as "disagree" on this bored, I really do. But I need to PM Irishdawg to learn the trick, still not good at it ...
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Houhusky said:

@Houhusky had all the screenshots I need.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Houhusky said:
    Race has done it again!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like self depreciating humor and good natured banter with opposing fans

#Classy
  • Options
    topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

disagree

I love how you can get awesome votes for one deep word such as "disagree" on this bored, I really do. But I need to PM Irishdawg to learn the trick, still not good at it ...
    More Irishdawg PMing ...

Less Tequila copying
    Would love to copy me some Tequila, but he is nowhere to be found. May have died on binge drinking Tequila ...