Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sugar Bowl History

2»

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,305
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited December 2023
    dnc said:

dnc said:

whlinder said:

Cool fucking stat!

We're missing the Cotton, I'm sure someone can do an inventory of other teams which have played in all 5/6 (and even won all 5/6), depending on how major the Peach Bowl should be treated.

JoePa won the 5 majors in his era when PSU miraculously defeated Rich Brooks' 10 year plan to virtually win the Rose Bowl Ducks. PSU finished actually undefeated. With PSU making the Peach this year they can claim all 6 major bowls.

Probably a very short and blue blood list of those programs which have been to 5. USC wouldn't be on it with no Sugar and Peach, and Michigan has never played in the Cotton or Peach. Bama, Ohio State and FSU have been to all 6. Georgia to 5, missing the Fiesta. Notre Dame misses the Peach. That's enough looking up for now.

I read that Penn State has won all NY6 except the Peach, so they will be the first if they beat Ole Miss. Guessing the Big Ten will have the most since they were contracted with the Rose and Orange

Edit: of course, we know no one in the Pac-12 comes close since we're the first and only for both Sugar and Peach
    Once upon a time we we first and only for the Orange

USC joined us
    USC has won RB, Cotton (over an unranked Texas Tech) and the OB.

They played Penn State in the Fiesta in 1982 and lost.

Oregon only has Ws (and Ls) in the Rose and Fiesta, no other appearances.

So we can join SC as the only P12 programs with wins in 3 P6 bowls (I'm assuming UCLA, ASU, Cal and Stanford haven't done that but haven't looked it up), and the only one to not have a major asterisk on it.

Presumably we can also become the only P12 program to have wins in 3 separate bowls over teams ranked in the top 3 overall:

Rose (#1 Minnesota and 3 Michigan)
    Orange (#2 Oklahoma)
    Sugar (#3 Texas)
    Pretty sure Oregon went to Cotton instead of us in 1996 (where we lost to Neu and his Buffs)
    1995/96 CB

Where *they* got plungered by Neu and his Buffs and their fourth quarter fake punt.
    Yeah during the era of the Cotton Bowl being downgraded after the SWC died and the Cotton was not part of the Bowl Alliance. Taking the B12 #2 and either P12 #2 or WAC champ is closer to the Alamo Bowl.

Whatever, we'll be charitable and count it, since Oregon vs Neu was a top 12 matchup.

UCLA won the Cotton in 1989

Edit: Wiki says the Oregon-Neu Cotton Bowl was officiated by none other than Mike Pereira
  • Options
    LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,628
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited December 2023
    All this bowl history is gonna turn super faggy with the 12-team playoff coming up... Then 16...Then 24
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,584
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited December 2023
    LaZoris said:

All this bowl history is gonna turn super faggy with the 12-team playoff coming up... Then 16...Then 24

I think 12 is perfect

Only good teams will get in that have a shot at winning
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

‘95 was probably the most maddening of seasons for this Husky. Besides the loss to Oregon and shitty placekicking, Lambo fucked up the USC game and played for a tie the week before.

Add in losses to Ohio State and then fucking Iowa in the fucking Sun Bowl and was truly one of the most underachieving seasons in my life.

That was the year I went from being a good Husky fan to being a Negadawg.

Don't forget Notre Dame
    Oof. Yes, the Mariners playoff game day. Lambo fucked that one up too.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    fucking georgia, would have been great to finish the pac-12 run with a win against big10 in rose bowl.

But an opportunity to cause another sark sideline meltdown is equally good
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    FireCohen said:

fucking georgia, would have been great to finish the pac-12 run with a win against big10 in rose bowl.

But an opportunity to cause another sark sideline meltdown is equally good

Agreed on both counts. But adding a Sugar will be sweet for historical purposes even if the trip isn’t as good for those who are attending. And Texas is the easiest draw IMO, but I don’t want to jinx so I take that back.

• Options
    Ducks have been to two Cottons, losing both. The first one was a ways back losing to SMU.
  • Options
    FSU has been to and won plural Peaches, Oranges, Sugars and Fiestas, won their only appearance in Cotton and lost only appearance in Rose.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,539
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023

The Mountain West won a Sugar Bowl

Utah beat Bama. Nobody has ever pointed that out

@haie true?
    "Jesus, we're playing Utah."

-Nick Saban, probably