Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Penix & wr speculation

I have zero insight on this but I’m wondering if Mike is so banged up they are limiting practice reps to the bare minimum. The offense is so out of sync it could be a real possibility.

If Grubb doesn’t design a game plan to make his life easier on Friday there will be seppuku on the forum.

Comments

• Options
    GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 433
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I think the pressure of being undefeated has gotten to Penix and the rest of the team. He knows he’s played like shit down the stretch and that was the cause of his lil postgame meltdown yesterday.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,589
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Defense is trending up passing game trending down due to pressure? The defense is rallying to the challenge.
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,008
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    My two cents. Our offense is built around Penix and his accuracy, and looks great when he is having a great day, and looks bad when he isn't.

That is a lot of pressure to put on a young man... he almost through a pick at the end of the Apple cup.

If we had a slightly better running game and slightly better play calling, it would take some of the pressure off of Penix.

I think the pressure is just getting to him.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,335
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

I think DeBoer is gonna do the offensive game plan himself for Friday. Holding the play sheet against Cuog signals frustration with his play caller.

Definitely possible, but if Deboer was calling plays yesterday, he sucks too
    As much as we all like to crap on Grubb, DeBoer has let it all happen.

And he’s 23-2.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I’d have to think if Penix was actually PHYSICALLY injured, they wouldn’t have run him as much as they have or do QB sneaks. They also haven’t slowed down the bomb throws and taken a more Bo Nix approach of behind the kind of scrimmage or or short throws in the middle of the field. He also doesn’t show any grimacing or pain behavior between throws or plays.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,589
    Standard Supporter
    Almost two picks!

My two cents. Our offense is built around Penix and his accuracy, and looks great when he is having a great day, and looks bad when he isn't.

That is a lot of pressure to put on a young man... he almost through a pick at the end of the Apple cup.

If we had a slightly better running game and slightly better play calling, it would take some of the pressure off of Penix.

• Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,574
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2023
    The guy is hurt and has been playing through it... last year and the first games of 2023 he was throwing dimes with absolute accuracy at a rate of 78% [first 6 games this year, don't know the number for last year] and now he is throwing even short passes with an adventure to be hauled in by the receivers. So he is HURT and has been playing through it. Yes he ahs still made some big plays, but his accuracy is obviously not the same and its not in his head, its his body which is undoubtedly affecting his headspace as well, but it the body he has been struggling with. Could not be more clear ~ at least that is my take.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,525
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The guy is hurt and has been playing through it... last year and the first games of 2023 he was throwing dimes with absolute accuracy at a rate of 78% [first 6 games this year, don't know the number for last year] and now he is throwing even short passes with an adventure to be hauled in by the receivers. So he is HURT and has been playing through it. Yes he ahs still made some big plays, but his accuracy is obviously not the same and its not in his head, its his body which is undoubtedly affecting his headspace as well, but it the body he has been struggling with. Could not be more clear ~ at least that is my take.

I'd be shocked if he's not hurt in some capacity at least. If he goes two full seasons at UW without ever missing a single play due to injury that's a win.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

It would be sweet if there was some type of route that ran closer to where the QB was on a play. Maybe use a bigger player that has good hands so he has a big target
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    They need to give Polk a couple easy balls to get his head back into it like the did with JMac. Having all the receivers 100% is important here on out.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Play better. It's hard.
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

If he looked even remotely hurt in any of the last five games I might believe it. But he's looking physically fine - no limping (he's actually initiating contact more than ever before), his throwing mechanics look normal, and his arm strength is 100% there.

I think this is 100% on Grubb. I'm not smart enough to know the finer details here, but Penix looks like he's being asked to make elite throws with a consistency that not even NFL starters regularly achieve. And this is snowballing into frustration and the elite throws are devolving into huge whiffs. Grubb needs to give his QB some easy buckets to get back on track. And apparently he needs to do this in five days.

I agree with this. Penix is overthrowing dudes, not underthrowing them. Usually hurt Qbs loft up Ducks.

Penix was also LEAPING into the air multiple times after good, or bad, plays.

I think he is just stressed the fuck out by our insanely difficult schedule literally filled with high pressure moments in close games.

The team will either grow from that trial by fire or be exhausted.

I'm not betting against DeBoer.
    +1. dude looked stressed. cant be easy, hope he can get well by next week.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2023
    Wrong thread, fuck me
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,117
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I’ve gathered from this thread that Penix is hurt.

But I’d like to see a few more people commit to that analysis.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Wrong fuck, thread me