Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

To kick or not to kick

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,333
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Normally I am Dan Lanning all coked up when it cones to going for it on 4th down. I like to say that settling for field goals will lose you the game. I like to say that

However Oregon State last year, Oregon this year, and UW against Utah has got me to thinking

DeBoer took the points. At 28-24 early in the 2nd half when we didn't know that the Utah offense had got on the plane, I thought kicking that field goal - the 2nd one of the game- might be a mistake

Nothing is linear so we don't know if not kicking and getting stopped would have changed the game It was 6 points in a 7 point win but you have a failed 2 point conversion and Leon Lett to muddy the waters

When possessions are at a premium as they are in both college and pro ball with the clock rules - points matter. Most NFL coaches kick and add on points

And ANALYTICS have never said shit or told anyone what to do. Its a bunch of numbers. A guide. You still need the head coach to make the call. Announcers are retards

I think going for it on 4th down across the 50 makes sense. Starting to think that kicking a field goal when in range makes sense too. DAWG sense. Had they made the third one those who had UW minus 9.5 would have went home happy

Another phantom blowout lost. If Leon Lett scores it is 40-28 and I could see a 20 point win

One of these days they will stop leaving points on the field. CCG day

Comments

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2023
    I understand what analytics say. But it takes the psychology completely out of it.

Driving down and getting absolutely nothing can be mentally demoralizing.

Unless you just have horses and know you are gonna score 40 anyways….
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,994
    Founders Club
    edited November 2023

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

These big dick coaches didn’t get where they’re at with beta thinking. To kick goes against their big dick strategy. Being an alpha is cool and everything but without logic you’re left with L’s that could’ve been W’s.

I’m glad our? Insurance salesman is 81% alpha, 9% emotional intelligence, and 10% logic.

Don James always kicked the field goal or punted.

(In before Race: 1991 at Nebraska)
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,333
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also watching Husky games I recall many a time when a USC was going down field and there would be a 3rd down stop and punt on 4th down I would think - why? You can gain a yard in your sleep on our DAWGS

That's why I defend Lanning on going for it at midfield. We? couldn't stop them, allegedly, and they weren't going to stop us

USC had to punt from midfield and Penix went 91 yards
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,994
    Founders Club

‘That's why I defend Lanning on going for it at midfield. We? couldn't stop them, allegedly, and they weren't going to stop us‘

Exactly, everybody in the stadium knew that if Washington got the ball back, they were going to score…

But you and Race are forgetting that Oregon had all the momentum at that moment. Was it possible for a noticeably wincing Penix to drive 90 yards and score? Of course! Was it a slam dunk? Not at all.

But we've already litigated this before.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,492
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

‘That's why I defend Lanning on going for it at midfield. We? couldn't stop them, allegedly, and they weren't going to stop us‘

Exactly, everybody in the stadium knew that if Washington got the ball back, they were going to score…

But you and Race are forgetting that Oregon had all the momentum at that moment. Was it possible for a noticeably wincing Penix to drive 90 yards and score? Of course! Was it a slam dunk? Not at all.

But we've already litigated this before.
    Not a slam dunk, but it was a home run guarantee. Punting would have just ensured that Oregon had no clock left to try to tie.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm usually in the kick it camp if you need more than a yard, your kicker is competent, and it's under 45 yards. Outside 45 I'm not kicking unless there's something about the situation that forces you, like the end of the half or game.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,894
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

These big dick coaches didn’t get where they’re at with beta thinking. To kick goes against their big dick strategy. Being an alpha is cool and everything but without logic you’re left with L’s that could’ve been W’s.

I’m glad our? Insurance salesman is 81% alpha, 9% emotional intelligence, and 10% logic.

Don James always kicked the field goal or punted.

(In before Race: 1991 at Nebraska)
    Call me old school but my 80 yr old dad gets sick of me saying “take the points.” He actually just laffs but same difference.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,865
    Standard Supporter
    If you have a great defense, field goals make sense. If you don't and/or are competing against an offense you are struggling to stop, then you go for it. That's why Lanning went for it. He knew he likely needed the points. The only questionable one was right before the half, because they get the ball back anyway. Other than that, he made the right decision.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,915
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

I feel like the last few weeks the “going for 2 before crunch time” has jumped the shark. Success rate was low and ended up prematurely killing the chances of the team involved.

The nerds have convinced them that their probability of failing twice in a row are less than the odds of failing on the first attempt, i.e. losing two consecutive coin flips is a 25% chance and a 50% chance of winning the first one. I agree they've jumped the shark here a bit. Your second 2-point play is probably a worse one than your first play. Add to that, sometimes going up 1 with 1:30 left on the clock can be worse than being tied as opponents now have 4 downs and have a sense of urgency to move the ball and take risks.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    TheHB said:

Yes, people forget Penix had his rib cage removed in the third quarter.

People forget that.

*amputated
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

Yes, people forget Penix had his rib cage removed in the third quarter.

People forget that.

*amputated
    I debated. But since the rib cage is entirely inside the body (for most humans), I went with removed.

Tomato, tomahto