Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Grinch Fired

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,584
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

If Sark fires Holt and brings in Wilcocks with his offense UW will roll!!!!

It's not the coordinator

Why firing Inge or whoever it is, won’t matter either.
    Who’s the problem on defense?
    UW doesn't have much in the way of NFL talent on defense.

Some HCs never have good defenses. I hope not, but it's possible/probable that Deboer is one of those HCs. It obviously doesn't mean he can't win in spite of it, but it would/will prevent him from ever being a truly dominant team

No worries. UW has yet to be in serious contention for highly sought after defensive players in the portal. About half of the board swears that the portal is going to fix it though.
    New money and this success will.
    Well I hope so too, but I'll have to see it first.
    Big dick boosters probably had to pay a lot to keep penix, odunze, McMillan, trice and maybe fautanu. Adding Muhammad and DJ was probably not cheap either. This is more of a rebuild year so hopefully we sign more of the Muhammad's of the world on defense along with a qb.

Problem with the portal is there are limited players with the blue bloods all pursuing them so it's not a safe bet at all. Our entire defense is likely void of difference makers next year as it stands. Maybe trice returns and reverts to his old form somehow.
    Exactly.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I don't think Muhammed, Penix, or Johnson were real hot commodities in the portal. UW wasn't bidding against blue bloods for any of them.

If the portal is to be the savior year after years as so many seem convinced of, then UW is going to have to raise the bar, just as much with it as with HS recruiting.
    You're off base on Muhammed and Johnson. Muhammed was a Big-12 all-conference CB, there are about 5 schools total that wouldn't want him on the roster.

UW reached out to him with a bag, apparently, or he contacted UW? Either way Okie State message boards were saying he was getting 50k lump sum to transfer plus an undisclosed amount per game he started.

Johnson also had a ton of options in the portal.

Who knows with Penix, apparently he shut down communication with other programs when his old mentor DeBoer reached out. But he was coming off 3 straight injuries and had warranted concerns about being a glass cannon. Officially, UCF was his only other offer listed.
    You didn't write anything that comes close to refuting what I said. You cited speculation by Okie St fans and his resume. Where is the evidence that anyone above UW in the portal recruiting rankings even pursued him?
    where is the evidence they didn't?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

It's not the coordinator

Some HCs never have good defenses. I hope not, but it's possible/probable that Deboer is one of those HCs. It obviously doesn't mean he can't win in spite of it, but it would/will prevent him from ever being a truly dominant team

No worries. UW has yet to be in serious contention for highly sought after defensive players in the portal. About half of the board swears that the portal is going to fix it though.
    Big dick boosters probably had to pay a lot to keep penix, odunze, McMillan, trice and maybe fautanu. Adding Muhammad and DJ was probably not cheap either. This is more of a rebuild year so hopefully we sign more of the Muhammad's of the world on defense along with a qb.

Problem with the portal is there are limited players with the blue bloods all pursuing them so it's not a safe bet at all. Our entire defense is likely void of difference makers next year as it stands. Maybe trice returns and reverts to his old form somehow.
    Exactly.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I don't think Muhammed, Penix, or Johnson were real hot commodities in the portal. UW wasn't bidding against blue bloods for any of them.

If the portal is to be the savior year after years as so many seem convinced of, then UW is going to have to raise the bar, just as much with it as with HS recruiting.
    You're off base on Muhammed and Johnson. Muhammed was a Big-12 all-conference CB, there are about 5 schools total that wouldn't want him on the roster.

UW reached out to him with a bag, apparently, or he contacted UW? Either way Okie State message boards were saying he was getting 50k lump sum to transfer plus an undisclosed amount per game he started.

Who knows with Penix, apparently he shut down communication with other programs when his old mentor DeBoer reached out. But he was coming off 3 straight injuries and had warranted concerns about being a glass cannon. Officially, UCF was his only other offer listed.
    You didn't write anything that comes close to refuting what I said. You cited speculation by Okie St fans and his resume. Where is the evidence that anyone above UW in the portal recruiting rankings even pursued him?
    where is the evidence they didn't?
    UW landing him is the evidence.
  • Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Broke the Trooj twice in a row at home. Eight years apart. “It’s been a long time.” - Holly Rowe

Wish it was Inge and Morrell. Zero adjustments throughout the games and terrible recruitment
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,992
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2023
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

It's not the coordinator

Exactly.

Johnson was heavily pursued. Auburn threw the kitchen sink at him. Muhammad had options as well but uw was all Over him early.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2023

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

It's not the coordinator

Exactly.

Johnson was heavily pursued. Auburn threw the kitchen sink at him. Muhammad had options as well but uw was all Over him early.
    I asked for evidence that teams with real recruiting pull pursued anyone UW has signed. I'm speculating that the answer is no, and you guys disagreeing aren't providing anything substantive to refute that. I didn't say there were no other teams interested. I didn't say those guys came free of charge, just that UW wasn't going against the likes of USC or Oregon or Georgia for them.

If UW is such a heavy hitter in the portal, why was Goforth the best and only LB brought in? Why no big time DT? Where are the impact guys at positions sorely lacking them? Muhammad was a great grab but only one CB after last year's performance? Nobody at safety when UWs best safety is pretty soft and frequently injured?

Don't you think the coaches wish they could have upgraded those positions a little further? It's no sure thing the portal is going to save you every year. Skill positions should be pretty easy for UW. I'm concerned about defensive players.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

It's not the coordinator

Exactly.

I asked for evidence that teams with real recruiting pull pursued anyone UW has signed. I'm speculating that the answer is no, and you guys disagreeing aren't providing anything substantive to refute that. I didn't say there were no other teams interested. I didn't say those guys came free of charge, just that UW wasn't going against the likes of USC or Oregon or Georgia for them.

If UW is such a heavy hitter in the oortal, why was Goforth the best amd only LB brought in? Why no big time DT? Where are the impact guys at positions sorely lacking them? Muhammad was a great grab but only one CB after last year's performance? Nobody at safety when UWs best safety is pretty soft and frequently injured?

Don't you think the coaches wish they could have upgraded those positions a little further? It's no sure thing the portal is going to save you every year. Skill positions should be pretty easy for UW. I'm concerned about defensive players.
    I think there's something to needing to sell playing time to both recruits and portals. If you just go full mercenary you'll never have a recruiting class worth anything. Banks was good at the start of the year and Powell has come along nicely as well.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

It's not the coordinator

Exactly.

If UW is such a heavy hitter in the oortal, why was Goforth the best amd only LB brought in? Why no big time DT? Where are the impact guys at positions sorely lacking them? Muhammad was a great grab but only one CB after last year's performance? Nobody at safety when UWs best safety is pretty soft and frequently injured?

I think there's something to needing to sell playing time to both recruits and portals. If you just go full mercenary you'll never have a recruiting class worth anything. Banks was good at the start of the year and Powell has come along nicely as well.
    Banks was good for sure, but the dude hasn't held up at all. That shit is going to happen. That's why you have to recruit the best HS players AND be able to supplement with the portal.

I think Deboer is doing more with less. The offensive talent is uncommonly good, but the defense is bad. He wants better players and to be a complete team. I'd bet anything.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If DeBoer is the coach we think he is, he’ll restock the shelves with better products than what he currently has.

I’d he’s not, he won’t.
  • Options
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

It's not the coordinator

Exactly.

If UW is such a heavy hitter in the portal, why was Goforth the best and only LB brought in? Why no big time DT? Where are the impact guys at positions sorely lacking them? Muhammad was a great grab but only one CB after last year's performance? Nobody at safety when UWs best safety is pretty soft and frequently injured?

Who said uw was a heavy hitter? Three of the guys last year that they go had options. Obviously the rest were projects.

Johnson especially was arguably the best rb available in the portal. Cuevas had plenty of options as a sought after tight end.
  • Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2023
    Cuevas should come along nicely
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

It's not the coordinator

Exactly.

Who said uw was a heavy hitter? Three of the guys last year that they go had options. Obviously the rest were projects.

Johnson especially was arguably the best rb available in the portal. Cuevas had plenty of options as a sought after tight end.
    If the portal has equaled or even exceeded HS recruiting in importance for UW then I'd say *we had better be a heavy hitter or years like this will be few and far between.

The point I'm trying to make is that there seems to be a lot of confidence that UW can use the portal to stay at this level. Some are confident enough that they think HS recruiting has diminished in importance. I disagree.
  • Options
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

bisonduck said:

It's not the coordinator

Exactly.

If the portal has equaled or even exceeded HS recruiting in importance for UW then I'd say *we had better be a heavy hitter or years like this will be few and far between.

The point I'm trying to make is that there seems to be a lot of confidence that UW can use the portal to stay at this level. Some are confident enough that they think HS recruiting has diminished in importance. I disagree.
    Uw is at this level because of a generational qb and ridiculous talent at wr. They are not a national title contender or even conference title contenders next year on paper.

If penix left it was widely speculated/rumored that Hartman was coming here. Would he have? Who knows? It's not out of the question that qb's would come here over other heavy hitters as you say.

I don't know who is assuming the team is gonna be a top 4 type team next year. Regardless they still are going to have to use the portal to fill out a lot of holes.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Everyone jizz over this year ... because it's going to be unpredictable next year.

What will be predictable is that we're not gonna go 9-0 next year to start the season ... not with the holes we have on the team imo.

But I will happily eat crow if the transfer portal gods bless us this year.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    Funny comment from the condoms bored:

What we're doing is not really an organized, coherent defense. Always a bunch of guys waving their arms and jumping around. We look like one of those old, cheap electric football games where the players just run around in circles while the field vibrates and buzzes.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,165
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:
    I assumed that was a joke. Then I thought, wait maybe he really said it? So I listened.

He really said it.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,165
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It's not the coordinator

When Don James quasi-fired Gary Pinkel to bring in Gilby to run the one-back at UW, it made all the difference. My comment is simultaneously agreeing with your comment and arguing with it.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,948
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

USC bored is all in on Jimmy Lake

They could do worse, quite honestly

When Lake became Co-Defensive Coordinator, UW's defense regressed
    Exactly this. Lake has some weird fucking hubris about him and the secondary. He didn’t seem to mind giving up 200 yards rushing & 4 TDs as long as the secondary didn’t give up a TD.