Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hardcore Husky Podcast: Paranoid, Bankrupt and 7-0

Comments

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

Thanks for answering my question, you hammerheads.

Obviously I'm speaking from the prospective of a fan that was spooked by yesterday's results - while I've calmed down considerably and am not asking for DeBoer to be fired (shame on you @GrundleStiltzkin), I do think we? drop a game this season to Utah or the Beav as you suggested, Derek.

Should such a thing come to pass, I will demand the immediate ban of @89ute or @BennyBeaver. They won't be in our? conference next year anyway.

XXOO, and good pod, pods,

DDJ

Hurtful.

Interestingly, our coach is emphatic that expansion is not over and this is not the end. This is interesting because he never speculates.
    I was kidding of course. I could never quit you, @89ute.

Yeah, I agree Whittingham. We’ll have another round of realignment at some point.

You can’t quit @89ute or you can’t quit his wives?
    I have a bad feeling the Utes are slowly building for another villain run to win the conference. I only take some solace in that in hopes that if it's Oregon they knock out.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

89ute said:

Obviously I'm speaking from the prospective of a fan that was spooked by yesterday's results - while I've calmed down considerably and am not asking for DeBoer to be fired (shame on you @GrundleStiltzkin), I do think we? drop a game this season to Utah or the Beav as you suggested, Derek.

Should such a thing come to pass, I will demand the immediate ban of @89ute or @BennyBeaver. They won't be in our? conference next year anyway.

DDJ

Hurtful.

Interestingly, our coach is emphatic that expansion is not over and this is not the end. This is interesting because he never speculates.

Yeah, I agree Whittingham. We’ll have another round of realignment at some point.

Abundance.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

89ute said:

DDJ

Hurtful.

I have a bad feeling the Utes are slowly building for another villain run to win the conference. I only take some solace in that in hopes that if it's Oregon they knock out.
    More things change, the more they stay the same…

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,984
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

89ute said:

DDJ

Hurtful.

Abundance.

Can’t say I blame you. The only reason I decided to attend this circle jerk (aside from my legal issues with the airlines clearing up) is the hope of seeing one or two or maybe all seven of @89ute’s wives in person.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

89ute said:

DDJ

Hurtful.

Abundance.

Can’t say I blame you. The only reason I decided to attend this circle jerk (aside from my legal issues with the airlines clearing up) is the hope of seeing one or two or maybe all seven of @89ute’s wives in person.
    His wives are like Pokémon…you gotta catch ‘em all.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,217
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

haie said:

Tackling isn't really something you just teach. You can improve it but it's a talent in the same way that throwing accuracy is.

Budda Baker is an elite tackler. His contract reflects that. You can't just teach what he does.

Your first sentence is contradicted immediately by your second sentence.
    Nah I think he's correct. Coaching can teach bad tacklers how to tackle in practice and how to make the easy ones...hitting guys who are held up, popping a guy pinned to the sidelines etc.

You can't take a guy who just doesn't get it and expect him to ever be really good at it though. It's an instinctive process to cut off angles, break down properly so you're ready to launch but also able to go to either side, and time the hit. Muhammad has it, Baker, Gordon and McDuffie had it. Too many of the current DBs don't.

I think that's kind of in line with what he was saying.
    "My players are good enough if me and my coaches are good enough to teach them" - Chuck Knox
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One thing one of the coaches was talking about was the players made some bad choices about when to try to strip the ball vs when to wrap up. To me it seems crazy to have any emphasis on trying to pull the ball out because I'd rather just have good tackling all year over one or two random strips
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

One thing one of the coaches was talking about was the players made some bad choices about when to try to strip the ball vs when to wrap up. To me it seems crazy to have any emphasis on trying to pull the ball out because I'd rather just have good tackling all year over one or two random strips

The worst example is in the grundles of Tuputala trying it early. The team is historically bad at sacks and causing fumbles this year. I think they haven't recovered a fumble all season and can barely even think of times they have caused them.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

The worst example is in the grundles of Tuputala trying it early. The team is historically bad at sacks and causing fumbles this year. I think they haven't recovered a fumble all season and can barely even think of times they have caused them.
    The play by Tuputala is exactly what was in my head as well
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,368
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wasn’t there a strip sack against Michigan State? Maybe I’m thinking of something else. Regardless, they are rarer than an accurate injury report from @bisonduck
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,166
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

Wasn’t there a strip sack against Michigan State? Maybe I’m thinking of something else. Regardless, they are rarer than an accurate injury report from @bisonduck

It got ruled incomplete and didn’t get challenged
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    TheHB said:

Wasn’t called a fumble. Didn’t even get reviewed.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

haie said:

Tackling isn't really something you just teach. You can improve it but it's a talent in the same way that throwing accuracy is.

Budda Baker is an elite tackler. His contract reflects that. You can't just teach what he does.

Your first sentence is contradicted immediately by your second sentence.
    Nah I think he's correct. Coaching can teach bad tacklers how to tackle in practice and how to make the easy ones...hitting guys who are held up, popping a guy pinned to the sidelines etc.

You can't take a guy who just doesn't get it and expect him to ever be really good at it though. It's an instinctive process to cut off angles, break down properly so you're ready to launch but also able to go to either side, and time the hit. Muhammad has it, Baker, Gordon and McDuffie had it. Too many of the current DBs don't.

I think that's kind of in line with what he was saying.
    "My players are good enough if me and my coaches are good enough to teach them" - Chuck Knox
    I'm not denying there's a developmental problem. I'm not sure there is either but I can't deny that it's possible.

College teams have a lot of guys who aren't complete players but stay on the field based on something else. Tackling is one of the most common deficiencies. It's hard.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,217
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

It's almost as though coaching matters

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

I will be watching for this situation on Saturday. Possible calls for coaches heads if they keep swatting at the ball while the RB gains 9 yards
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,564
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2023

Canadawg said:

Yeah, I mean the tackling being this bad after 2 years is unacceptable. But I don't think anyone is thrilled with Morrell even with the clutch stops.

It's not the same defense, but Petersen's system only worked because they recruited guys with incredible baseline open field tackling ability. It's the second hardest thing to do in football. That's how you sit people back and can still get off the field on 4th and 3.

It's like we shouldn't even be running this defense.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Canadawg said:

Yeah, I mean the tackling being this bad after 2 years is unacceptable. But I don't think anyone is thrilled with Morrell even with the clutch stops.

It's not the same defense, but Petersen's system only worked because they recruited guys with incredible baseline open field tackling ability. It's the second hardest thing to do in football. That's how you sit people back and can still get off the field on 4th and 3.

It's like we shouldn't even be running this defense.
    I'm wondering if they're starting to run the Petersen/Kwit prevent defense out of desperation. I think the tackling and especially the pass defense has improved, especially with almost no pass rush.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The tackling is horrifying, but dammit, they’re making the stops when the have to.

It’s kind of odd. But I remember thinking last year, “if only this defense as average …”

This version might actually be a bit better than average.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Chinned for use of “fuck o’ dear”