Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Polk, Jmac, or both?

Comments

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    CatGut said:

FireCohen said:

If there was QB they think put numbers up, but all 3 are gone because of that uncertainty

I think Polk has until Jan. 15 to declare for the draft. The Winter transfer window ends Jan. 2, so if they're on the fence they can wait to see what QB portals in. I can't imagine the staff won't pursue someone, and I also can't imagine UW won't be attractive to portaling QBs. I'm optimistic Polk comes back to be WR1 for the first time.
    I think you are looking at
    Polk , McMillen and Giles/Bernard
    With 1000 yard back in Dillon

Recruiting a qb from the portal with that talent
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hope and think at least one of them will be back. Not worried though. Shepard somehow turned Giles Jackson into a McMillan light.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,208
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Polk is gonzo. He's playing himself into the first round discussion. I don't think he comes back and takes the risk of playing with a different QB.

I think McMillan comes back at this point just because of the injuries but if he has a lights out last 6 or 7 games that could change. WRs in the NFL are a lot smaller on average than they were 6-8 years ago, the new rules have made it a lot easier for the little guys to succeed. McMillan will do really well in the modern NFL.

We aren't used to being a favorite in January. If this team hits its ceiling all of these guys are going to get a ton of attention.

I kind of see it the opposite just on paper. Polk isn't a first rounder this year (probably late 2nd to 3rd), but he could be next year.

McMillan is probably capped out as a 3rd rounder just because he's almost exclusively a slot guy, this year or next year. He could do well in that role, but his first contract isn't going to be improved much if he comes back just because of what position he plays. In which case it makes some sense for him to go just to get a year closer to a second contract. His upside comp is probably someone like Tyler Boyd, who got like a 5 year $40m contract after his 4 year rookie deal, and will probably be on like 2 year deals the rest of his career.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,397
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Polk is gonzo. He's playing himself into the first round discussion. I don't think he comes back and takes the risk of playing with a different QB.

I think McMillan comes back at this point just because of the injuries but if he has a lights out last 6 or 7 games that could change. WRs in the NFL are a lot smaller on average than they were 6-8 years ago, the new rules have made it a lot easier for the little guys to succeed. McMillan will do really well in the modern NFL.

We aren't used to being a favorite in January. If this team hits its ceiling all of these guys are going to get a ton of attention.

Being a #1 offense is also a shit load more eyeballs than being a #1 defense.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,696
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Mel Kiper actually had Fautanu in his top 20 players today, so yeah, he's gone.

Shocked by that
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,056
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

dnc said:

I kind of see it the opposite just on paper. Polk isn't a first rounder this year (probably late 2nd to 3rd), but he could be next year.

McMillan is probably capped out as a 3rd rounder just because he's almost exclusively a slot guy, this year or next year. He could do well in that role, but his first contract isn't going to be improved much if he comes back just because of what position he plays. In which case it makes some sense for him to go just to get a year closer to a second contract. His upside comp is probably someone like Tyler Boyd, who got like a 5 year $40m contract after his 4 year rookie deal, and will probably be on like 2 year deals the rest of his career.
    Isn’t the hawks 1st rounder a slot guy? He’s not doing shit for now but a nice pay check.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Shocked by that
    TBF Kiper is a retard, and I think a lot of people give the O-line credit for the sack numbers when most of the credit should go to Penix.

Oregon got a ton of pressure from the edges and the reason Penix only got sacked once was because he threw the ball in the dirt so many times.

He was under 60% completion rate when he's been over 70% in every other game, and it was mainly for that reason.

So the O-line is a little overrated right now, but Fautanu has been already been getting second round buzz from others, so who knows.

And when I say overrated I don't mean bad. I was huge OL/Huff defender last year. They're good, not great, IMO.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Shocked by that
    TBF Kiper is a retard, and I think a lot of people give the O-line credit for the sack numbers when most of the credit should go to Penix.

Oregon got a ton of pressure from the edges and the reason Penix only got sacked once was because he threw the ball in the dirt so many times.

He was under 60% completion rate when he's been over 70% in every other game, and it was mainly for that reason.

So the O-line is a little overrated right now, but Fautanu has been already been getting second round buzz from others, so who knows.

And when I say overrated I don't mean bad. I was huge OL/Huff defender last year. They're good, not great, IMO.
    I thought our OL pass protected better last year. Penix has been hurried and hit more this year, but they are still good. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what my eyes tell me.
    Getting Buelow back will be huge. Dorlus really abused Hatchett’s lack of length.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Shocked by that

I thought our OL pass protected better last year. Penix has been hurried and hit more this year, but they are still good. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what my eyes tell me.
    I've been debating this myself. I'm not sure. I think UCLA, Cal, OSU, Oregon and Texas all got some pressure on him last year. Still not a ton and nothing like a normal QB, but I'm not sure it was less than this year.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,696
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Shocked by that

I've been debating this myself. I'm not sure. I think UCLA, Cal, OSU, Oregon and Texas all got some pressure on him last year. Still not a ton and nothing like a normal QB, but I'm not sure it was less than this year.
    UCLA and Latu were getting tons of it
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,184

Bob_C said:

dnc said:

Isn’t the hawks 1st rounder a slot guy? He’s not doing shit for now but a nice pay check.
    Because Geno Smith would rather throw to 3 nameless tight ends (sorry Will Dissly) than 3 elite WRs.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

Bob_C said:

dnc said:

Because Geno Smith would rather throw to 3 nameless tight ends (sorry Will Dissly) than 3 elite WRs.
    OP stated McMillan/slot guy = 3rd round. My point was slots will go much higher if they are good.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,208
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

MelloDawg said:

Bob_C said:

dnc said:

OP stated McMillan/slot guy = 3rd round. My point was slots will go much higher if they are good.
    If they can play inside and outside yes. Lots of young receivers play inside to start. But they are drafted high to eventually play outside.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

MelloDawg said:

Bob_C said:

dnc said:

If they can play inside and outside yes. Lots of young receivers play inside to start. But they are drafted high to eventually play outside.
    Hence “exclusively”… ok, I rest.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Latu is what we wish Trice could be